BX 2200 Power Steering

/ BX 2200 Power Steering #1  

Anonymous Poster

I have 145 hrs on the BX. I have just developed a problem with the power steering. I can slowly rotate the streering wheel to the left and the front wheels don't turn. If I turn it quik they will turn. When I mow I am constantly turning the steering wheel to the left. Turning right seams to work fine. I feel that it may be weak bypass spring in the steering valve, if there is one. I don't think the steering cylinder would be leaking past the piston but that may be happening. Any thoughts out there? HAs anyone had the same problem?

/ BX 2200 Power Steering #2  
I have never had that problem, but there was a bit of discussion on here about others who have. Run a search and you will find out the goods.
Will

/ BX 2200 Power Steering
If ya can't turn left then NASCAR is out of the question. I hope you post the problem and solution when you find out, and hopefully it won't be too costly, good luck.

/ BX 2200 Power Steering #4  
I now have the same problem /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif 145 hrs. I'm hoping to get it resolved with out alot of problems. Called the dealer once and no call back yet. until then I steer left to keep from going right.

/ BX 2200 Power Steering
Thanks for the input. Sorry to hear that you have the same problem but together hopefully we can find and post the solution. By the way it feels when I turn the steering wheel it may be the bypass valve. If someone has a shop manual out there that can look to see if there is a spring type bypass value in the steering valve that would help. The spring may the broken or has lost its temper.

/ BX 2200 Power Steering
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If someone has a shop manual out there that can look to see if there is a spring type bypass value in the steering valve that would help. The spring may the broken or has lost its temper. )</font>

According to the WSM there is a relief valve located within the steering control valve but it only controls the maximum pressure for the entire steering system. There is a "centering spring" in control valve itself which positions the "spool" and the "sleeve", which in turn forms the left and right turn oil circuit.

This sounds like the most likely culprit, assuming no air or fluid level problems exist in the hydraulic system.

Good luck with this, I'll be watching to see how you make out! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ BX 2200 Power Steering
I think you will find the following thread from this site is the solution to your problem......it's a fairly common problem with the BX. My brother is a Kubota mechanic and he had a machine in the other day with the same symptoms and I refered him to this thread and it fixed the problem for him. At least as far as where he works they don't have any record of the Kubota service Bulletin being received at their shop, but none the less the solution in this thread is correct in the majority of cases. For the record my brothers shop replaced the steering control valve and it did not fix the problem. They had to order a cylinder to fix the problem.

Greg Williams.

BX2200 Steering problem
#259590 - 04/25/03 06:34 AM Edit Reply Quote

I've got a 1 year old BX2200 with 100+ hours on it. Yesterday while doing some yard cleanup, I noticed a steering problem:

While turning the steering wheel "gently", the tires would not move (left or right). So I'd be doing gentle turns, and continuing straight ahead. There was no undue force on the steering wheel, it moved freely and easily.

I could correct by moving the steering wheel more abruptly left or right---then the steering would kick in.

I have the repair manual, and the only thing I can come up with is low hydro fluid or air in the lines. I changed the hydro fluid at 50 hrs (Super-UDT), and the level seems to check fine (at least the to the best of my abilities, given that lousy dipstick). I suppose that there could be air in the system too; but I've put the steering far right or far left (so that the release valve runs for a couple seconds), and that hasn't helped. I don't know if there's any bleeding procedure to follow (the manual does say to 'bleed', but doesn't refer to a page number to discuss how). All the other hydraulic systems (transmission, 3-point) seem to be working fine (I didn't hook up the FEL to check it).

I'll call the dealer this morning, but I was wondering if anyone here had any ideas on what might be going on. Thanks!

Jim

Post Extras:
TN_HILLS

Reged: 04/16/03
Loc: Lewisburg, Tn.
Re: BX2200 Steering problem [Re: kofronj]
#259617 - 04/25/03 07:33 AM Edit Reply Quote

Sounds like a steering valve problem to me. If the valve is sticking and not opening you get no flow to the hydraulic steering cylinder, thus no turning. Just a thought. Let us know what your dealer says.

Good luck,
Clay

Post Extras:
pcmem
Gold Member

Reged: 08/28/01
Loc: N WI
#259636 - 04/25/03 08:08 AM Edit Reply Quote

Jim,

I expect you've got a case of the BX steering cylinder blues

I had the same problem last fall. My dealer said Kubota got a batch of bad steering cylinders from a supplier. Apparently the supplier left the machined cylinders sit outside prior to assembly where they got wet and slightly rusted inside. Just enough to cause the rod seals to wear and start leaking. Giving the wheel a good turn flows enough fluid to overcome and turn the wheels. It starts out slowly and just gets worse. They replaced the front cylinder on mine and so far so good

Your dealer should be able to take care of you,
Michael

Post Extras:
pro_tel

Reged: 08/08/01
Loc: Central PA
#259643 - 04/25/03 08:22 AM Edit Reply Quote

Yes there is a factory recall to replace the cylinder. Interesting that my BX2200 went in for the same problem just yesterday @ 142 hrs. Your dealer should know about the problem.

Post Extras:
DaveNH
Platinum Member

Reged: 11/28/00
Loc: Fremont, New Hampshire
Re: BX2200 Steering problem [Re: pro_tel]
#259655 - 04/25/03 08:39 AM Edit Reply Quote

Any one have a Service Bulletin Number on this problem?

Post Extras:
kofronj
Bronze Member

Reged: 03/21/02
Loc: SE Wisconsin
#259662 - 04/25/03 08:53 AM Edit Reply Quote

Ahhh, I just love this place...

Talked to one of the mechanics this morning. He indicated the same thing (after checking to make sure that I didn't have the hydraulic lift pegged to the up position), and we'll try to get it scheduled.

I looked at the manual for doing this myself, and I think I'll defer...

Thanks again, everyone!

Post Extras:
kofronj
Bronze Member

#259809 - 04/25/03 02:29 PM Edit Reply Quote

Update: After talking with the owner and a mechanic, they think I'm more than qualified to do the work (hahaha...). Knowing how busy this time of year is for them, and the fact that it's nearly an hour in transport time (one-way---and they'll have to do it), I'm more than willing to give it a shot.

I'll let you know how it turns out, in the end. But for now, I won't be doing any loader work close to any buildings!

Post Extras:
rmc
Bronze Member

Reged: 12/02/01
Loc: South Jersey
Re: BX2200 Steering problem [Re: pcmem]
#259932 - 04/25/03 08:06 PM Edit Reply Quote

pcmem

Did your Dealer tell you what series of serial numbers the bad steering cylinder where installed on?

If not a problem when did you purchase and what serial number is yours.

Thanks

Post Extras:
pro_tel

Reged: 08/08/01
Loc: Central PA
Re: BX2200 Steering problem [Re: DaveNH]
#260111 - 04/26/03 09:12 AM Edit Reply Quote

The service bulletin # is PSB-2001-048 DATED 10/15/2001. I totally agree that this place has the greatest people in the world. I received my information from CARVER EQP some time back and feel delighted that I can help others.

Post Extras:
DaveNH
Platinum Member

Reged: 11/28/00
Loc: Fremont, New Hampshire
Re: BX2200 Steering problem [Re: pro_tel]
#260123 - 04/26/03 09:45 AM Edit Reply Quote

Pro_tel

Thanks!
My BX is starting to show the signs and since it's going in for "24 Month Survey Complaints" it's one more problem for the dealer to fix.
My dealer isn't the best and I always get the proverbal run-around.
Having the SB#, puts the ball in my court.

Post Extras:
pcmem
Gold Member

Re: BX2200 Steering problem [Re: rmc]
#260758 - 04/28/03 11:47 AM Edit Reply Quote

rmc,

No they didn't. When I asked they said they (dealer) didn't know and that it was showing up in roughly half of the units they sold. They kept a kit on hand and fixed them as they showed up. Not sure what my sn is but it was bought fall 2001 if that helps.

If it is working fine I wouldn't worry about it,
Michael

Post Extras:
pcmem
Gold Member

#260760 - 04/28/03 11:51 AM Edit Reply Quote

kofronj,

It isn't that difficult to replace. The hardest part is swapping the tie rod ends (because they like to be difficult ). You'll need some Kubota Super UDT or whatever you're running in the hydro to replace what spills out and fill the cylinder.

Good luck,
Michael

Post Extras:
kofronj
Bronze Member

#263170 - 05/05/03 10:13 AM Edit Reply Quote

A happy ending for my tractor.

The parts came last Tuesday (FedEx), but I didn't have time to work on it until Friday evening/Saturday. I decided to follow the workshop manual instructions. Got the left hydraulic line off fine, couldn't get a wrench on the right side. So I removed the tie-rod nuts off, and (as predicted by pcmem), the right side came off fine, and the left wouldn't budge. Block of wood and a hammer---no luck. Finally gave it a rap or two with the hammer directly (after lots of wrestling and tugging), and it popped right out. Once I removed the brackets holding the cylinder to the frame, I could get the second hydraulic line off.

The tie rods were easily removed from the cylinder with large wrenches. Snap rings were removed too. I removed the hydraulic fittings from the old cylinder, and cleaned them (they had teflon tape on them) and put them on the new cylinder. Replaced snap rings, put tie rods back on, and hooked up lines quickly. Ran engine to check for leaks (none! ). Put everything back in place.

Steering is great again. It was probably about 2 - 2 1/2 hour job for me. I've had very limited experience working on tractors and cars, so this was a relatively good experience!

Thanks for the advice and tips, everyone!!!

Jim

/ BX 2200 Power Steering
Thank you so much for the info. I will call the dealer in the morning with the service number. This is a great site! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Maybe I can help someone in the future. Let's all keep up the great responses. This is truly what makes the USA the greatest nation in the world. People helping people.

/ BX 2200 Power Steering #9  
hi edinict. i told you these guys were good.some times its fun to have a problem just to see all the ideas out there. manufactures will never be able to hide again.let me know how you come out;steve.