Just ordered BX2200! :cool: :cool: :cool:

/ Just ordered BX2200! :cool: :cool: :cool: #1  

Anonymous Poster

Greetings. Thanks to all the advice here, I felt confident ordering a BX2200, FEL, MMM, Post hole digger, and 50"bush hog rototiller!

I popped $250 for the mulch kit; not sure how well that will work. Inquired about the rear mounted remote hydaulic kit, and it was $450, so I declined that! Will place an order for the parts seen here earlier and save a couple hundred. Is there an extra slot in the right side panel to mount a valve handle there, or does it have to go on the ROPS?????

Plan to buy a 5x14 trailer to haul it, and when I can get some AFFORDABLE liability insurance, plan to start working it part time to offset the $$$$$$$$$$$$.

In order to get it in my shed, will need to modify the ROPs to make it folding. Will be asking BX22 owners for some measurements as the dealer is a couple HRs from me. Plan to saw mine in half and make it look like the factory one.

THANKS for all your great informaton posted here!
Ron

/ Just ordered BX2200! :cool: :cool: :cool: #2  
RonR,

Congratulations on the new tractor. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

I have a question though. Are you sure you want to cut and modify the ROPS on a new tractor? You are opening the door for Kubota to deny responsibility in the event of a ROPS failure, should you ever need it.

It seems to me it would be better (possibly easier?) to modify the door of the shed.

~Rick

/ Just ordered BX2200! :cool: :cool: :cool:
Good Point Rick!

You are correct Rick.

Where I live though, it's flat, very flat. And we have enough young trees (maples) with branches that would hook the ROPS as we mow under, I'd probably have to take it off if I can't fold it at times. My fear is if I take it off, it won't go back on, and I don't like that idea.

And in planning to do some commercial work, I'm sure I'd encounter trees at customer places.

I have access to some good mechanical engineers, so I think I can design it to be as strong as original, though it would be a P*ssing contest if ever there were a catastrophic incident.

I will re-think my idea and check the shed once the unit gets here.

Appreciate your input.

/ Just ordered BX2200! :cool: :cool: :cool: #4  
Re: Good Point Rick!

I agree with Rick on the ROPS. This could also come back to you if you decide to sell this unit. I'm getting close to ordering the rear remotes for my B7500. I can see many uses for this extra hydraulic port.
The money may seem like a bit much but consider not having to own and maintain another engine to drive hydraulic pumps and being able to use the tractor in whole new ways and it is an attractive addition.

One option

I will look at this more when I get the unit, but I might not cut the ROPS, just see if I can add a baseplate to the existing holes that mate with the tractor, make a plate to bolt to the existing ROPS holes, and make a HEAVY hinge at the back, so the whole ROPS can lay down.

This would let me go back to original, and should still work to fold.

Thanks for the great inputs!
Ron

/ Just ordered BX2200! :cool: :cool: :cool: #6  
Re: One option

I say chop it and customize it,just make sure you do it right.Don't skimp on cost or quality and it will perform like a factory folding ROPS.

/ Just ordered BX2200! :cool: :cool: :cool: #7  
Re: One option

heith,

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I say chop it and customize it,just make sure you do it right.Don't skimp on cost or quality and it will perform like a factory folding ROPS. )</font>

I don't have any question that the ROPS can be modified and still perform to the original's specifications, if done carefully. My concern is one of liability should he find himself in a situation where the tractor flips and someone gets hurt. With a modified ROPS, I believe Kubota is within their rights to deny responsibility. He also mentioned using the tractor for commercial purposes and carrying liability insurance. I'm curious if the insurance company might be able to deny payment on a claim if the ROPS is modified. I don't know, but I would guess they probably could, unless somehow the ROPS was "re-certified" after the modification. I'd certainly find this out BEFORE I used the machine for commercial applications.

It's too bad, but this is such a litigious society today, you really have to think of as many potential problems as possible BEFORE one occurs. One un-insured accident could be financially devistating, let alone the possibility for physical injury.

Personally, I don't think I'd want to take that much of a risk. I would research all other available options first. Maybe Kubota has a folding ROPS in the pipeline for the BX series. Anyone know?

~Rick

Liability is an issue!

I plan to go commercial, but employees (as far as I know now) would be Me, wife, and maybe my kids. I suppose the occasional "other" person could be driving it just for fun.

I'm leaning more now to building a folding base that will bolt to the tractor and also to the ROPS. I can make it heavy enough to not be the weak link. But I'm sure even with that, liability could be an issue.

If a folding rops for the 2200 comes out, and commercial thrives, I'd probably pop for it, ust to be safe.

/ Just ordered BX2200! :cool: :cool: :cool: #9  
Re: Liability is an issue!

Ron,

There is a folding ROPS available for this series tractor. It's about $4K extra, and comes with an accessory backhoe...

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hey I like your thinking!

Unfortunately, I'm tapped out financially just in what I bought!

The other thing I'm fighting is finding AFFORDABLE to be able to do some commercial work and recoup some
$$$$. I've posted a couple of places, but haven't found anything that sounds good yet!

My insurance company wants $1200 a year. I called a buddy in the biz and his group wants all my coverage,
but I have to have been in the biz for two years, yada, yada, yada.....

Jeeze.... Roadblocks!

Take care,
Ron