3-Point Hitch Countyline vs. Powerhorse

/ Countyline vs. Powerhorse #1  

ChrisC

Looking to get a wood splitter to use with my Kubota B2910. I'm not looking to set any speed records, just want to do the wood more easily than by hand.

I've looked at the Countyline at Tractor Supply and the Powerhorse at Northern Tool. Both look pretty good, with the horizontal/vertical orientation of the Countyline a plus.

Any experience as to which is better? And can anyone help with fittings and connections for hydraulics from my FEL?

/ Countyline vs. Powerhorse #3  
I might be wrong but I'd say the Countyline(TSC) log splitter is a Speeco. Besides that never owned one .
SpeeCo Inc. - Log Splitter, Tractor Parts, OEM and Farm Accessory Contact information

CountyLineョ 3-Point Hitch Log Splitter - 2153304 | Tractor Supply Company

Look at specs they look identical to me besides color.

Boone

Yep, CountyLine is a Speeco. I looked closely at both brands before buying neither.

While there is nothing wrong with the CountyLine/Speeco unit, you would probably experience long cycle times because its cylinder bore is too large for your tractor's pump capacity. I know you said you weren't interested in speed, but there is a difference between slow and real slow. I'm afraid you would experience the latter. What is your tractor's available hydraulic pump flow rate, excluding steering pump capacity?

I don't like anything about the PowerHorse stuff.

Take a look at RamSplitter. I would suggest either the 3PT12H or 3PT16H, depending on your pump capacity.

While they can build a tilt over model, I suggest that you don't really need that capability in a 3PH model. You can always lower a horizontal model to the ground in order to roll the large rounds up onto it.

The guy that runs the company can build whatever you want at a reasonable price and advise on sizing if you can provide him your pump specs. He sells on eBay too. Give him a call.

/ Countyline vs. Powerhorse #4  
If you find it is too slow it wouldn't be too hard to add a PTO pump and tank down the road.

/ Countyline vs. Powerhorse #5  
Check out splitfire splitters. You can get a small one for $1200ish. Becareful with how these companies rate them. Alot are way overrated. Here is a calculator to see what it would do on your tractor. Here is one for speed. You will need to look at your owners manual to see your gpm and how what your relief pressure is.

/ Countyline vs. Powerhorse #6  
I looked at the Powerhouse but quickly ruled it out. I next considered the County Line and was close to getting it but then I read some reviews on the Ramsplitter. Most people that had a Ramsplitter really liked it. I also like the fact it's made in the USA. Then I found one of their dealers that offered free shipping and that sealed the deal. Go to woodsplittersdirect and get it delivered free.

/ Countyline vs. Powerhorse #7  
Check out splitfire splitters. You can get a small one for $1200ish. Becareful with how these companies rate them. Alot are way overrated. Here is a calculator to see what it would do on your tractor. Here is one for speed. You will need to look at your owners manual to see your gpm and how what your relief pressure is.

Those are good links. Just remember, the gpm rating will be at PTO speed, or possibly max RPM. Ideally, you want to split at idle or just above, so make allowances for that. Unfortunately, unless you have a good sized machine with a large pump, you are pretty much forced to split above idle. I figured cycle times using 5/8 my main pump's rated output when I made my decision. I split at 1500 RPM.