50 Hr Oil Change. Oil Question

/ 50 Hr Oil Change. Oil Question #1  

kubotacres

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3560 HST
Like coutless others, I'm performing the 50 hr change in the coming week. I will be using all Kubota brand filters with the exception of the oil. I had actually wanted to stick with the same brand oil i use on everything else (castrol) but I don't know enough about their Castrol Tection Oil to use it. I notice alot of owners who prefer a Non-Kubota brand engine oil use Rotella.. My question is what exactly do i need to look for in the engine oil to make sure it's compatiable with the engine I have? I've glanced over my manual and it shows anything CF,CF-4,CG-4,CH-4,CI-4 should be fine for use in my Kubota engine with the exception to CJ-4. That's the reason for scaring away from the Castrol, because Castrol states to be used with CJ-4 engines, and my manual states not to be used with my engine. Any info?? It's not a big deal if I have to switch to Rotella or even Kubota, but It's mainly just keeping the same Brand with the countless other engines I have to keep babied... On a side note, if I do go with Rotella, what would be the correct type oil to use.. I will be using 15W-40 BTW.Thanks,Brandon

/ 50 Hr Oil Change. Oil Question #2  
I hear it's OK to use CJ-4 oil in all diesel engines. Don't remember the details.

I just used Kubota oil when I did the 50 hr and if I remember right it was CJ-4.

/ 50 Hr Oil Change. Oil Question
I just looked at the Kubota oil, and it's showing to NOT be CJ-4, only the others I listed in my previous post.

/ 50 Hr Oil Change. Oil Question #4  
I didn't remember right then.

Hopefully one of the oil guys will be along soon.

/ 50 Hr Oil Change. Oil Question #5  
I use Rotella T5 10W30 in my Kubota

http://www.shell.com/home/content/rotella/products/t5/

I should note that my Kubota is out of warranty and that I don't get too wrapped up in the individual "sub" ratings, I just use the right weight and make sure it is a good quality diesel rated oil.

Last edited:
   / 50 Hr Oil Change. Oil Question
looks like I will be going with Rotella. Seems to be the most popular brand and it's proven. I don't know much about the Castrol brand although I'd like to keep all my oil the same brand.

/ 50 Hr Oil Change. Oil Question #7  
I have a Kubota L4400. When I did my 50 hour change, I used the Kubota brand of oil and filters from my dealer. In retrospect, I would think that any of the major oil brands that meet the specs in regards to your make and model would suffice and perform adequately. Just my thoughts. BTW, best wishes.

/ 50 Hr Oil Change. Oil Question #8  
CJ4 oil was developed for 2007 and newer diesel engines that have advanced emission controls such as a diesel particulate filter (DPF) and exhaust gas recirculation (EGR). I know my 2011 L3240 does not have this technology. That is why you should not use CJ4. I hate paying the price of Kubota brand oil. I did a lot of research and calling and found that Kubota oil is made by Ashland Oil Company, makers of Valvoline. Valvoline has non CJ4 oil available but most retailers do not carry it. You have to find a wholesaler to buy it from.

/ 50 Hr Oil Change. Oil Question #9  
Generally new oils are backwards compatible and having 11 diesel engines of various vintages I don't bother chasing older "sub" ratings on diesel oil. Has Kubota ever said "do not use CJ-4" or just that they did not list it? The attached laboratory write up says CJ-4 is backwards compatible as I would expect.

http://www.polarislabs.com/cj4-drain.php

/ 50 Hr Oil Change. Oil Question #10  
I use Rotella T5 10W30 in my Kubota

Shell Rotellaョ Products | Shell Rotella

I should note that my Kubota is out of warranty and that I don't get too wrapped up in the individual "sub" ratings, I just use the right weight and make sure it is a good quality diesel rated oil.
I also use rotella t5 10w-30 in my massey, works fine.