Tractor
    Kubota BX25

Default BX25 knocking noise

I have a BX25 with 30 hours on it. When it's running and on an incline to the left it makes a knocking noise. Seems to be worst at idle and gets less as the rpm increases. The noise seems to be comming from the left side of the engine near the front. Does anyone else have this noise or know what it may be? All oil and fluids are fine.

Lester

Tractor
    Kubota BX24

Default Re: BX25 knocking noise

Quote Originally Posted by lcrabtree View Post
    I have a BX25 with 30 hours on it. When it's running and on an incline to the left it makes a knocking noise. Seems to be worst at idle and gets less as the rpm increases. The noise seems to be comming from the left side of the engine near the front. Does anyone else have this noise or know what it may be? All oil and fluids are fine.

Lester
    I'll take a stab at helping you out. I had a clatter noise that you may hear as a knocking noise at a certain RPM. Take a look at the attached photo and the tab sticking out from the exhaust shield was clattering/knocking against my exhaust. I bent the tab out a little and haven't heard the noise in 4 years. To check to see if this is your issue, reproduce your noise and then push a long screwdriver against this exhaust shield tab to see if the noise changes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -021609_15071-jpg  
    BX24, 60" MMM, Woods HC48 Rotary Cutter, W.R Long Flat Toothbar, 4' Farm Force Box Blade, Leinbach 7200JR PHD w/ 12" & 9" augers, Cosmo XB 3PH spreader, Pat's Easy Change, Front & Rear Bro-Tek Skid Plates, BXpanded Under Armor/Brush Forks/BH Dolly/Bucket Hooks/Tool Pouch/Work Lights, drag harrow, Larry's Mower Axle Stands, 52" Rachet Rake, Millcreek manure spreader

Tractor
    Kubota BX25

Thanks for the reply, hope it's that easy to fix. I'll check tomorrow and post what I find. Thanks again for the help.

Lester

Tractor
    Kubota BX25

Bent the tab out a bit and the noise is still there, but coming from something around the muffler area. Over on the other side I wedged the screwdriver between the muffler and a brace and the noise went away. I can't see very good in there, so I guess when I do the 50 hour service and have the engine cover off I'll have a better view of the area.

Lester

Tractor
    Kubota BX24

Bent the tab out a bit and the noise is still there, but coming from something around the muffler area. Over on the other side I wedged the screwdriver between the muffler and a brace and the noise went away. I can't see very good in there, so I guess when I do the 50 hour service and have the engine cover off I'll have a better view of the area.

Lester
    Good to hear that you found the location. A long screwdriver comes in handy to find strange noises resonating from the engine compartment. Just to offer some advice, when you do your 50 hour service and remove your engine cover, you will probably need to remove your brush guard also. To remove your brush guard, the bolts take 10mm allen wrench. I didn't have that size on hand until I read about it here on TBN. Also, when you remount the brush guard, a lot of us here mounted the bolts backwards for easier removal the next time.

Tod
    BX24, 60" MMM, Woods HC48 Rotary Cutter, W.R Long Flat Toothbar, 4' Farm Force Box Blade, Leinbach 7200JR PHD w/ 12" & 9" augers, Cosmo XB 3PH spreader, Pat's Easy Change, Front & Rear Bro-Tek Skid Plates, BXpanded Under Armor/Brush Forks/BH Dolly/Bucket Hooks/Tool Pouch/Work Lights, drag harrow, Larry's Mower Axle Stands, 52" Rachet Rake, Millcreek manure spreader

Veteran Member

Lester
    Man, Why does kubota still have common issues from the old 22 says? I had the same issue with my muffler back in 08 and just bent the tabs. Someone in Bota land did not do a tolerance study..tisk tisk.

If you dis this and it went away, something is rubbing...common
    "In God we trust; all others must bring data"
    -Edwards Deming

Tractor
    Kubota BX24

Quote Originally Posted by thavil View Post
    Just to offer some advice, when you do your 50 hour service and remove your engine cover, you will probably need to remove your brush guard also. To remove your brush guard, the bolts take 10mm allen wrench. I didn't have that size on hand until I read about it here on TBN. Also, when you remount the brush guard, a lot of us here mounted the bolts backwards for easier removal the next time.

Tod
    I tack welded the bolt heads on my tractors brush gaurd. No more allen wrench needed!! Oh yeah, way to go on helping with knock Tod!!
    Deano
    2006 BX24, 6' New Implements rake, Woods RB60 rear blade, Wallenstein thumb, Bro-Tek rear skid plate, home made front skid plate, W.R. Long flat tooth bar, 4' finishing mower (TPH), 4' box blade, post hole digger, New style seat!!!!! Country Manufacturing manure spreader, Agri-Fab drop spreader.

Tractor
    Kubota BX24

Quote Originally Posted by Deano View Post
    I tack welded the bolt heads on my tractors brush gaurd. No more allen wrench needed!! Oh yeah, way to go on helping with knock Tod!!
    Thanks Dean. Welding isn't on my limited list of skills but that sounds like a great idea!

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4240, B7800 & BX2660

I did this and I don't have to remove.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_0786vv-jpg   -img_0781vv-jpg  

Tractor
    Kubota BX24

Quote Originally Posted by Leejohn View Post
    I did this and I don't have to remove.
    Great idea Leejohn!
    Deano
    2006 BX24, 6' New Implements rake, Woods RB60 rear blade, Wallenstein thumb, Bro-Tek rear skid plate, home made front skid plate, W.R. Long flat tooth bar, 4' finishing mower (TPH), 4' box blade, post hole digger, New style seat!!!!! Country Manufacturing manure spreader, Agri-Fab drop spreader.