BX25 knocking noise

/ BX25 knocking noise #1  

lcrabtree

Tractor
Kubota BX25
I have a BX25 with 30 hours on it. When it's running and on an incline to the left it makes a knocking noise. Seems to be worst at idle and gets less as the rpm increases. The noise seems to be comming from the left side of the engine near the front. Does anyone else have this noise or know what it may be? All oil and fluids are fine.

Lester

/ BX25 knocking noise #2  
I have a BX25 with 30 hours on it. When it's running and on an incline to the left it makes a knocking noise. Seems to be worst at idle and gets less as the rpm increases. The noise seems to be comming from the left side of the engine near the front. Does anyone else have this noise or know what it may be? All oil and fluids are fine.

Lester

I'll take a stab at helping you out. I had a clatter noise that you may hear as a knocking noise at a certain RPM. Take a look at the attached photo and the tab sticking out from the exhaust shield was clattering/knocking against my exhaust. I bent the tab out a little and haven't heard the noise in 4 years. To check to see if this is your issue, reproduce your noise and then push a long screwdriver against this exhaust shield tab to see if the noise changes.

Attachments

• 021609_15071.jpg
    021609_15071.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 420
   / BX25 knocking noise
Thanks for the reply, hope it's that easy to fix. I'll check tomorrow and post what I find. Thanks again for the help.

Lester

/ BX25 knocking noise
Bent the tab out a bit and the noise is still there, but coming from something around the muffler area. Over on the other side I wedged the screwdriver between the muffler and a brace and the noise went away. I can't see very good in there, so I guess when I do the 50 hour service and have the engine cover off I'll have a better view of the area.

Lester

/ BX25 knocking noise #5  
Bent the tab out a bit and the noise is still there, but coming from something around the muffler area. Over on the other side I wedged the screwdriver between the muffler and a brace and the noise went away. I can't see very good in there, so I guess when I do the 50 hour service and have the engine cover off I'll have a better view of the area.

Lester

Good to hear that you found the location. A long screwdriver comes in handy to find strange noises resonating from the engine compartment. Just to offer some advice, when you do your 50 hour service and remove your engine cover, you will probably need to remove your brush guard also. To remove your brush guard, the bolts take 10mm allen wrench. I didn't have that size on hand until I read about it here on TBN. Also, when you remount the brush guard, a lot of us here mounted the bolts backwards for easier removal the next time.

Tod

/ BX25 knocking noise #6  

Lester

Man, Why does kubota still have common issues from the old 22 says? I had the same issue with my muffler back in 08 and just bent the tabs. Someone in Bota land did not do a tolerance study..tisk tisk.

If you dis this and it went away, something is rubbing...common

/ BX25 knocking noise #7  
Just to offer some advice, when you do your 50 hour service and remove your engine cover, you will probably need to remove your brush guard also. To remove your brush guard, the bolts take 10mm allen wrench. I didn't have that size on hand until I read about it here on TBN. Also, when you remount the brush guard, a lot of us here mounted the bolts backwards for easier removal the next time.

Tod

I tack welded the bolt heads on my tractors brush gaurd. No more allen wrench needed!! Oh yeah, way to go on helping with knock Tod!!:drink:

/ BX25 knocking noise #8  
I tack welded the bolt heads on my tractors brush gaurd. No more allen wrench needed!! Oh yeah, way to go on helping with knock Tod!!:drink:

Thanks Dean. Welding isn't on my limited list of skills but that sounds like a great idea!

/ BX25 knocking noise #9  
I did this and I don't have to remove.

Attachments

• IMG_0781vv.jpg
    IMG_0781vv.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_0786vv.jpg
    IMG_0786vv.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 378