Shop manual vs owners Manual

/ Shop manual vs owners Manual #1  

BizDoc

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030HSDC
For those of you who have purchased shop/owners manual(s)

I see both a shop manual and owners manual written about, I want one that describes fluid changes, types, amounts, frequencies, belts, switches, ets. general maintenance items. Is that the Owners Manual. Then the Shop manual is if you're going to tear it down and it explodes the entire tractor piece by piece. Maybe I need both, or does the shop manual cover the same items an owner manual covers as well as full repairs?

/ Shop manual vs owners Manual #2  
The shop manual does indeed tell everything you need to know and concentrates on tear down stuff and big jobs. I have bought them for Kubotas for 20 years and never needed one. Tractors--- well, Kubotas--just don't break. More useful is the parts manual because it gives an exploded parts list of everything and it's easy to figure it out for anyone even slightly mechanically inclined. But you can get those for free on line now. So now I just have owner's manuals and am good to go.

For sale--unopened shop and parts manuls for Kubota M4950, M6950, M7950 and M8950. Also for ford 1910, 2110 and 1110 series.

/ Shop manual vs owners Manual #3  
I think you want the owners manual.

Those typically cover the routine stuff like you mention. Fluid and filter changes, intervals, amounts, etc. As well as covering general operation, what every knob and lever does, and how to operate for the safety of YOU and the tractor.

The shop manuals usually give more specific step-by-step details of things like how to pull then engine, how to pull the transmission. clutch changes, engine rebuilding specs like min-max crank journal diameters, torque specs, etc.

/ Shop manual vs owners Manual #4  
The owners manual and parts manual(which is now available to view online and print by page for free). I have all 3 in book form and I rarely open the shop manual.

/ Shop manual vs owners Manual #5  
Do you still have the shop manual for a Kubota M7950?

/ Shop manual vs owners Manual #6  
Do you still have the shop manual for a Kubota M7950?

I think so. I also have a front weight bracket, a few weights and filters, etc. Maybe a tool box too.

/ Shop manual vs owners Manual #7  
The owners manual (OM) comes with the tractor. In use my WSM quite often if nothing else but to make diagnosis of minor problems I can fix myself. Doubt I would do any thing major or that needs special tools only K makes. The maintenance chapter in the WSM is more comprehensive than the OM. I have the Parts Manual (PM) also as it covers exploded views as previously stated. I like the printed manual when having to refer to more than one page and it helps ordering by phone as it puts the parts guy on the same planet I am on. BXs are pretty trouble free, It is the little things that bug you and cost a lot if you drag it to the dealer every time. Recently I had a problem of when trying to go forward or backward then engine would stall. Analyzing the situation I was sure it was an interlock circuit. The WSM steered me directly to the faulty switch in minutes, jumpering it confirmed. 5 min later I had the part ordered and in will call at the dealers. Dealer service for that would have been the 2 hour minimum at $175/hr, the $10.00 part, a 80 mile round trip twice and possibly a weeks down time. Go figure.

My vote is for all three. That one service paid for the WSM and PM several times over.

Ron

/ Shop manual vs owners Manual #8  
Let's not forget that Kubota Tractor Corporation is now offering the parts manual online at it's website!
Saves buying the parts manual like I did along with the WSM shortly after my tractor purchase.
Agreed-more information leads to lower costs and more satisfaction!

/ Shop manual vs owners Manual #9  
All I really need to know right now is how to access the starter/solenoid. It's only visible from below, but just the non attached end; can't even see the terminals or where it's bolted on. I'm trying to figure out what should be disassembled and how. The side of the vertical support for the FEL is also right there. Looking at it from the side, There's a long black metal piece which runs from left to right along the entire side, resting on top of the frame, bolted into the side, with other parts attached to it, which would seem to need to come off. They really buried the starter in there good. Do you have any ideas? Does the shop manual have any info on reaching the starter?

/ Shop manual vs owners Manual #10  
All I really need to know is how to access the starter/solenoid. The non attached end can only be seen from below; no terminals are visible. Looking at the area from the side, a long black metal piece which rest on top of the frame, and runs from left to right along the entire side and has other parts bolted to it's top, would seem to be in need of removal. The side of the vertical support for the FEL is also right there. You can't even see the starter from the side or above. Do you have any ideas on how to reach the starter for testing and removal? Does the shop manual have any info on this?