Stupid newbie owner questions

/ Stupid newbie owner questions #1  

DirtMerchant

Tractor
2012 L4240C
I just ordered my first tractor, an L4240 HSTC with loader BH, third function & thumb and 2 rear remotes, one float, one 3 position.

I will be using it for cutting ditches, backfilling a foundation, transplanting trees, opening up a pond a bit larger, light grading/leveling, large garden work, snow plowing and clearing some land.

My first question is the top link, when mowing with the 3pt, can it be done with a solid toplink? A solid toplink makes me think that if the land is not flat that a bind could occur if I went up a slight grade or the mower would be lifted up as the tractor as I crest the down side of a grade? Does this mean I need a hydro toplink? Or some kind of shock style toplink?

Can a belly mower be mounted on a L4240 HSTC with a BH subframe installed?

Do I need a 3rd rear remote for a Top and Tilt kit? or can I get away with the two I have on order? Or could I route my 3rd function or one of the loader valves to the rear ?

and yes, I am pretty excited to get this tractor, does it show?

/ Stupid newbie owner questions #2  
Congratulations - sounds like a terrific rig that you have coming!

As for the top link, you are correct in that it would bind if adjusted rigid. When hooking up a rotary cutter for instance, there is considerable slack in the top link when the cutter is lowered. This is possible because the mower has a hinged link. Together, the hinged link and the slack in the top linkage allow the tractor and mower to negotiate dips and humps without binding or flopping the mower up and down.

I have no idea about the belly mower but your owners manual should contain that information when you get it (or a quick phone call to your dealer).

There are several ways to plumb in a top and tilt. Several people on the forum are especially knowledgable on this topic and will hopefully chime in.

Best of luck!

/ Stupid newbie owner questions #3  
My first question is the top link, when mowing with the 3pt, can it be done with a solid toplink?

hummm perhaps you mean stationary toplink? I dunno, toplinks are designed to operate with the 3PH. the toplinks are threaded so you can fine tune and level the trailing end of 3PH attachments.

btw sounds like you have a real nice machine coming to you.

/ Stupid newbie owner questions
Congratulations - sounds like a terrific rig that you have coming!

As for the top link, you are correct in that it would bind if adjusted rigid. When hooking up a rotary cutter for instance, there is considerable slack in the top link when the cutter is lowered. This is possible because the mower has a hinged link. Together, the hinged link and the slack in the top linkage allow the tractor and mower to negotiate dips and humps without binding or flopping the mower up and down.

I have no idea about the belly mower but your owners manual should contain that information when you get it (or a quick phone call to your dealer).

There are several ways to plumb in a top and tilt. Several people on the forum are especially knowledgable on this topic and will hopefully chime in.

Best of luck!

Yes I get it now, the mowers have a clevis type connection for the toplink which allows the mower to float enough, did some searching of mower photos and figured it out after seeing your post, thanks!

/ Stupid newbie owner questions #5  
Check out Everything Attachments web site. They have a bunch of videos that explain how to use most tractor impliments. I found it very useful.

/ Stupid newbie owner questions #6  
What KubotaGlocker said and it works quite well for me. Some however like a hydraulic top link with float to eliminate any possible binding in extreme undulations, some even mow without a top link, chain used as a top link or chains on the deck instead of solid mounts. Do some searches and you will find lots of variations.

/ Stupid newbie owner questions #7  
I don't think the L4240 can accommodate a Belly mower(no mid pto).The standard top link that comes with your tractor will work fine for the brush-hog.Just set it up loose(the top link on the brush-hog has some play built into it)If you are looking for a finish mower;I believe the rear is your only option:I hope you have some wide open spaces...you will be about 24ft. long with the FEL on.

/ Stupid newbie owner questions #8  
I just ordered my first tractor, an L4240 HSTC with loader BH, third function & thumb and 2 rear remotes, one float, one 3 position.

I will be using it for cutting ditches, backfilling a foundation, transplanting trees, opening up a pond a bit larger, light grading/leveling, large garden work, snow plowing and clearing some land.

My first question is the top link, when mowing with the 3pt, can it be done with a solid toplink? A solid toplink makes me think that if the land is not flat that a bind could occur if I went up a slight grade or the mower would be lifted up as the tractor as I crest the down side of a grade? Does this mean I need a hydro toplink? Or some kind of shock style toplink?
The oem toplink will work fine with a finish mower. Your 3PH floats so if you have it lowered all the way down and back up on a back with the finish mower it will raise. If you mow with out a toplink or use a piece of chain there is nothing to keep the mower from coming forward and it can tear up the pto shaft or tractor.

Can a belly mower be mounted on a L4240 HSTC with a BH subframe installed?

I think the L3940 is the largest you can get a MMM on.

Do I need a 3rd rear remote for a Top and Tilt kit? or can I get away with the two I have on order? Or could I route my 3rd function or one of the loader valves to the rear ?

and yes, I am pretty excited to get this tractor, does it show?

A tnt will require 2 remotes. If you need a 3rd you could unhook your 3rd function hoses at the loader and have extra hose made to run to the back for a 3rd set of rear remotes.

/ Stupid newbie owner questions #9  
The oem toplink will work fine with a finish mower. Your 3PH floats so if you have it lowered all the way down and back up on a back with the finish mower it will raise. If you mow with out a toplink or use a piece of chain there is nothing to keep the mower from coming forward and it can tear up the pto shaft or tractor.

Some cutters come in three optional configurations, pull type, semi mount and 3PH. I can see no difference in a semi mount and running without a toplink. While I don't do this, I have seen many posters who do. There are several old threads addressing this.

Here is just one discussion on the subject, I am too lazy to look up more.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/owning-operating/176659-chain-top-link.html

I am not advocating one way or the other just putting some information out for consideration. As mentioned, I don't do it, but pull a pull type cutter as well as 3PH and am looking into using a 3PH as a semi mount next year.

/ Stupid newbie owner questions #10  
Some cutters come in three optional configurations, pull type, semi mount and 3PH. I can see no difference in a semi mount and running without a toplink. While I don't do this, I have seen many posters who do. There are several old threads addressing this.

Here is just one discussion on the subject, I am too lazy to look up more.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/owning-operating/176659-chain-top-link.html

I am not advocating one way or the other just putting some information out for consideration. As mentioned, I don't do it, but pull a pull type cutter as well as 3PH and am looking into using a 3PH as a semi mount next year.

I had a guy years ago tell me to run a piece of chain instead of a toplink for the rotary cutter. It worked nice til I hit something with it and it stood the cutter straight up almost tearing everything up. It could have came on over on me. Maybe the semi-mounts have something to limit the movement?