L3400 running backwards !

/ L3400 running backwards !
Chilly807,, I bet you could not duplicate it if you tried, you must have let off of the winch control, at just the exact time the engine stalled, but had a compression stroke at TDC and then pushed it backwards, but now with no load it sputtered back to life. running backwards.. I bet you can't make that happen again in a million years.

James K0UA

I think you're right, James. All the planets were aligned and I held my mouth just the right way. Lucky I didn't get hit by a falling meteorite at the same time.

Doesn't seem to have had any adverse effects on the old girl, I pulled another 50 or so alder clumps this evening, this time with the rpm at about 1200. No problems. Tomorrow we're digging fence post holes, and Sunday looks like a 12 acre field to brush hog if the weather holds. Fast running out of days I can get on the fields without leaving ruts.

Sean

When I was a young teen, I watched my neighbor doing some FEL work with his Deutz, about a 50hp 4 cylinder. He was working it real hard and managed to *just* about kill it. When he clutched it, it sounded different. The muffler rain cap slammed down and hissed like crazy from the vacuum. He shut it off and hit the key and resumed his work.

The mechanical injectors probably are just a tad late to have it fire well, but it still ran just fine that way with a slightly slower rpm. I know that tractor was still running fine 30 years later.

Pretty much what I was thinking Ray

/ L3400 running backwards ! #23  
I am wondering if the tightly stretch cable helped to give it a spin the other way when it stalled. Or maybe the pto mechanics don't work that way :confused:

/ L3400 running backwards ! #24  
I am wondering if the tightly stretch cable helped to give it a spin the other way when it stalled. Or maybe the pto mechanics don't work that way :confused:

The PTO has an internal ORC, so that shouldnt have had an effect.

I think if he had not dis-engaged the winch, the tractor would have just stalled??? maybe??

Good point, I think you may be right about that..

The PTO has an internal ORC, so that shouldnt have had an effect.

I think if he had not dis-engaged the winch, the tractor would have just stalled??? maybe??

Mine doesn't have that, only the HST models do. And you're right, I've stalled it once before, but that was with a lot heavier load and at a higher rpm to start with.

Good point, I think you may be right about that..

On second thought, maybe not.. once the winch rope was released it freed the winch from the PTO so the cable would have just gone slack, which it did.

/ L3400 running backwards ! #28  
I think you do have an orc. I thought all 3400's regardless of wether hst or gst had an orc.

I could be wrong, maybe just the fact that its an independent PTO is why I am thinking. Since it dont push you along when bushhogging and hit the clutch???

/ L3400 running backwards ! #29  
I think you do have an orc. I thought all 3400's regardless of wether hst or gst had an orc.

I could be wrong, maybe just the fact that its an independent PTO is why I am thinking. Since it dont push you along when bushhogging and hit the clutch???

/ L3400 running backwards ! #30  
I didn't know this was possible with a 4 stroke engine. It was very common with the old detroit diesel 2 strokes though. Stall the engine and have the load/force get the engine spinning the wrong way and it would happen. My dad has seen it happen with machinery and trucks using the old 2 strokes.