L2800, need to size turning plow

/ L2800, need to size turning plow #1  

Worriedman50

Tractor
Kubota L2800
Getting ready to work up food plots for next spring. Want to turn the vegetation under and let the ground sit idle for the winter. Said land has had fescue on it for years, plan on spraying, then turning under.

Book says the tractor should handle a double 12", looking around it seems more likely that a single would be the way to go. Starting to hunt through used equipment and Craig's List as well as calling on my farmer friends for older stuff they might have sitting around, need help in figuring out what I need?

/ L2800, need to size turning plow #2  
I would not go bigger than a double 12 then. Why are you against a double?

/ L2800, need to size turning plow
Not against a double, but want to be sure before purchasing that I have the right implement, and that my tractor has the power to actually use it correctly.

The HST L2800 has a rating of 22.5 hp, just asking for help to make sure I get the right thing bought.

/ L2800, need to size turning plow #4  
You may be able to handle a larger plow but the one we normally match to your tractor is our Everything Attachments compact tractor plow which is a single bottom 12". If you click the link, you'll find a video of us using one on a compact Bobcat tractor that is similar to your L2800. Those ship free to a commercial business or supporting freight terminal within 1,000 miles of Newton, NC. I hope this helps.

/ L2800, need to size turning plow
Mr. Ted,

I had watched the referenced video, hence my concern about going with a double. In digging little deeper, the 22.5 hp is PTO rating, the engine net rating is 27.5.

I have your root grapple, and am tickled to death with it, so I check your site each time I decide to add to my equipment list. (I have a box blade, tiller, disc, harrow and bush hog).

Kubota2800.jpg

Just came into possession of this property, it has been in the "Program" for many years, the soil is compacted, and has lots of fescue. I want to get some of it in Native Grass, some in nut trees and fruit trees, then some in rotational food plots. Part of the reason I picked up the tractor in the first place was the intent to work this property for deer and turkey.

Next I will need a sub-soiler and a drill. Can probably pick up a two row planter reasonable for beans and corn. Been a long time since I worked ground for farming, been in construction for the last 45 years.

/ L2800, need to size turning plow #6  
That's a great looking set-up you've got there!!
I'm sure several people will tell you to go big but i'm sure you saw that that tractor in the video didn't want much more than that compact plow in new ground.

/ L2800, need to size turning plow #7  
That's a great looking set-up you've got there!!
I'm sure several people will tell you to go big but i'm sure you saw that that tractor in the video didn't want much more than that compact plow in new ground.

/ L2800, need to size turning plow #8  
Breaking unbroken ground is much tougher than a field. Save the headache and go single bottom. It wont jam up.

/ L2800, need to size turning plow #9  
Getting ready to work up food plots for next spring. Want to turn the vegetation under and let the ground sit idle for the winter. Said land has had fescue on it for years, plan on spraying, then turning under.

Book says the tractor should handle a double 12", looking around it seems more likely that a single would be the way to go. Starting to hunt through used equipment and Craig's List as well as calling on my farmer friends for older stuff they might have sitting around, need help in figuring out what I need?

Plows

Above is a list of new and used plows we have with Zone 1 business or terminal delivery included in the price. Ken Sweet

/ L2800, need to size turning plow #10  
I pull a double 12 just fine. Couple of pointers though, first, I have AG tires. The tractor in the video had R4's. That makes a HUGE difference right there. So what tires do you have??

Also, dont get hung up on HP. You have more than enough HP to spin your tires at plowing speeds. Traction is is what you need to worry about.

And since it sounds like you are shopping used (or wanting to borrow), dont get too hung up on what you end up with if the price is good. 1x12, 1x14, 2x10, 2x12, would all work fine for a small food-plot. And no matter what you end up with, this first plowing is likely going to be the hardest. Next year, it will plow MUCH easier.