BX25 Engine Problem

/ BX25 Engine Problem #1  

kb9okb

Tractor
Kubota BX25
I've had my used BX25 (500hrs.) for a few weeks now, but it's having itermittent engine issues. After running it for a few minutes, sometimes the RPM drops to <1000rpm and stays there. Sometimes it dies, it will always restart but still won't exceed 1000rpms. Throttle linkage is working fine. Air filter looks good, I'm wondering if it's not a fuel filter issue, I'm checking that now. Any ideas? Fuel pump? How can I test that? Things I should check? Thanks in advance!

/ BX25 Engine Problem #2  
Clogged fuel filer. I think there is two.

/ BX25 Engine Problem #3  
That sounds right, the one closest to the tank will be the problem, the 2nd one rarely has issues. I hear it is there just in case the fuel pump self destructs.

/ BX25 Engine Problem #4  
There are two fuel filters: one near the engine, one under the tractor. Because there are no shut offs for the fuel line, I did this trick when I swapped out my filters. Remove the fuel cap, then place a piece of plastic wrap, like Glad Wrap, over the fuel tank opening. Then put the fuel cap back on, threading it over the plastic wrap. The plastic wrap prevents air from venting through the cap. (Plumbing 101: Air moves liquid.) Using this method, I only lost about a half pint of diesel.
Good Luck.

Attachments

• Kubota BX25 and Cling Wrap.jpg
    Kubota BX25 and Cling Wrap.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 225
   / BX25 Engine Problem #5  
You can also clamp ViseGrip pliers on the line(not too tight) to block fuel flow while changing the filter

/ BX25 Engine Problem
Where is the rear fuel filter? Does the mid mount mower have to come off? If so that could be a problem as I have no hydro power.

/ BX25 Engine Problem #7  
look underneath the tractor on the FEL control stick side. you could do it with MMM on but it could be frustrating that way. taking the MMM off and on is not that big of a deal. I take mine off more times in course of year then I can count my fingers.

/ BX25 Engine Problem
Well crap.. now it won't run at all, and the Mower deck is locked in the top position so I cant even look for the filter.

/ BX25 Engine Problem #9  
Jack/block deck enough to relieve weight so you can turn height knob...as for no run, in addition to filters/pump, check for fuel contamination...i.e water...

/ BX25 Engine Problem #10  
Jack/block deck enough to relieve weight so you can turn height knob...as for no run, in addition to filters/pump, check for fuel contamination...i.e water...

I think you are going to want to try what BotaBigot suggests to get the MMM off. The two filters are kind of a pain to change. I can't imagine trying to do the one underneath with the MMM on. The second one, up on the side of the engine, could be done without removing the MMM, although it's also a PIA to change unless you take the engine shroud off.

Here is a good "how to" thread on changing the two filters on a BX24 (which I believe is the same for your BX25.)
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/147385-bx-fuel-filter-change-lessons.html