Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    2011 Kubota B3300SU

Bro-Tek 2" spacers are installed!

2011 Kubota B3300SU - Spacers Needed?-image-832556856.jpg
    Kubota BH77 Backhoe with Bro-Tek mechanical thumb & Bro-Tek Ripper Tooth; Loflin 48 inch forks; Bro-Tek 2" rear wheel spacers; StabilWorks custom stabilizers; EA 66" Box Blade

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

Default Re: 2011 Kubota B3300SU - Spacers Needed?

Quote Originally Posted by CDN Farm Boy View Post
    The first thing I notice with these is that all of the tractor's weight will be carried on the bolts rather than the hub.
    How do you come to that conclusion ?
    BX2360 54"MMM

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B3300SU

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeRidge View Post
    How do you come to that conclusion ?

Most rims are "hubcentric" meaning the hole in the center of the rim matches the size of the hub. This is to center the rim properly and also helps carry weight. The lug nuts/bolts primary function is to hold the rim in place.

Occasionally rims are lugcentric in that the lugs do everything. It is very important that the taper of the lug nuts/bolts exactly matches that of the rim and are torqued properly. These types of rims are also a pita to install when you have lug bolts as you have to hold the tire & rim lined up with the holes while trying to start the bolts

I know my B3300SU rears are hubcentric as are most tractor rears

The welded-together spacers do not have a hub flange.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

.... lugcentric.... types of rims are also a pita to install when you have lug bolts as you have to hold the tire & rim lined up with the holes while trying to start the bolts
    With fluid filled , there're terrible to handle , but a starter-pin in one bolt hole is a great help .
    BX2360 54"MMM

Tractor
    Kubota BX, Bobcat 743, others

The first thing I notice with these is that all of the tractor's weight will be carried on the bolts rather than the hub.
    .....with hub flange to carry the weight...
    Both of the above comments are incorrect from a technical perspective. First, the ONLY time weight is carried by the bolts is when the nuts are loose. In operation it is the friction between the hub flange surface and the surface of the rim or spacer as caused by the pinching effect when the bolts/nuts are tightened that carries the weight. Secondly, in the same manner, no weight is carried by the hub flange shoulder for exactly the same reason. At best the shoulder simply assists in centering the rim during installation. Once the fasteners are torqued it is the pinching effect causing friction between the two mating surfaces that transfers the weight between the two surfaces that are bolted together. The bolts only provide the pinching effect. Weight (torque) is transferred/carried/provided by the friction between the surfaced being pinched together. Sorry to go techincal, but wrong is wrong.

Tractor
    2008 Kubota b2920

Quote Originally Posted by ButteBrute

Both of the above comments are incorrect from a technical perspective. First, the ONLY time weight is carried by the bolts is when the nuts are loose. Sorry to go techincal, but wrong is wrong.
    And the Gold Medal goes to...
    ericher69
    IAFF Local 849

Tractor
    Kubota L3540 Cab

This will get everyone going. With all of the issues concerning clearance between the rear tires and fenders on the B30 series, why doesn't kubota just increase the width of the rear tire spacing by 3 or 4 inches? Seems to me that it would solve the spacing problem and improve the stability.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

I reckon it's more to do with reducing breakages than being unhelpful to us.
    The stress on the rear end can lead to very expensive damage.
    On a BX , they don't like 'em at all , and I can see how it would be easy to crack the trans case with carrying big loads.
    With sensible use ( MMM etc ) they're very useful for improved stability and cut quality.
    BX2360 54"MMM

Tractor
    Kubota BX, Bobcat 743, others

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeRidge View Post
    I reckon it's more to do with reducing breakages than being unhelpful to us.
    The stress on the rear end can lead to very expensive damage.
    On a BX , they don't like 'em at all , and I can see how it would be easy to crack the trans case with carrying big loads.
    With sensible use ( MMM etc ) they're very useful for improved stability and cut quality.
    From reading the various forums, I get the impression that the issue of stress and breakage is somewhat of an urban legend. Everyone worries about it, but has anyone ever seen the animal? It would help if anyone who uses/used spacers and has actually had a negative experience (not just "heard" about someone else) please speak up? My own experience was that tipping over was VERY unpleasant and I feel more secure now that I have the spacers and gladly appreciate the certainty of increased stability (and my life) over the rumor of breakages. St. Peter to new arrival: "Why are you here?" New Arrival: "Well, I heard that spacers would...so I didn't use them."

Tractor
    B3000 HSDCC

Quote Originally Posted by Ace3 View Post
    This will get everyone going. With all of the issues concerning clearance between the rear tires and fenders on the B30 series, why doesn't kubota just increase the width of the rear tire spacing by 3 or 4 inches? Seems to me that it would solve the spacing problem and improve the stability.
    Good question. Especially since the B series spacers are a Kubota option that you can build into the machine right on the website. I went with the Kubota spacers since the price wasn't all that much more than the aftermarket options, which translates to a reasonable charge for the dealer to install them. Plus, I trust the Kubota spacers more than some aftermarket part.

I actually purchased a particular aftermarket component from one of the manufacturers of the aftermarket spacers, and the component I purchased was a very poor design and I did not like the way it functioned at all. It got removed from the tractor within a month and then was sold. I decided that manufacturer wouldn't ever get another penny out of me, even though they have what appear to be some useful components. I just don't trust their design or build quality.
    2012 Kubota B3000, block heater, filled rears, rear wheel spacers, fender extensions, LA403 w/60" bucket, BH77 w/12" bucket & mechanical thumb, Kubota pin-type QA, Kubota forks, Caroni TM1600 flail, Buhler Allied YC6010 3pt blower, Meyer 72" FEL mounted plow, Midwest LR2072 rake

Previous machines:

2008 Kubota B3030 (Open Station), LA403, BH75, 4 - 55w halogen front & rear ROPS mounted worklights with L39 dash switches
    2004 Case NH DX24E Subcompact

Kubotas from Barlow's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast