Chains 2011 Kubota B3300SU - Spacers Needed?

/ 2011 Kubota B3300SU - Spacers Needed?
Bro-Tek 2" spacers are installed!

image-832556856.jpg

/ 2011 Kubota B3300SU - Spacers Needed? #13  
How do you come to that conclusion ?

Most rims are "hubcentric" meaning the hole in the center of the rim matches the size of the hub. This is to center the rim properly and also helps carry weight. The lug nuts/bolts primary function is to hold the rim in place.

Occasionally rims are lugcentric in that the lugs do everything. It is very important that the taper of the lug nuts/bolts exactly matches that of the rim and are torqued properly. These types of rims are also a pita to install when you have lug bolts as you have to hold the tire & rim lined up with the holes while trying to start the bolts

I know my B3300SU rears are hubcentric as are most tractor rears

The welded-together spacers do not have a hub flange.

/ 2011 Kubota B3300SU - Spacers Needed? #14  
.... lugcentric.... types of rims are also a pita to install when you have lug bolts as you have to hold the tire & rim lined up with the holes while trying to start the bolts
With fluid filled , there're terrible to handle , but a starter-pin in one bolt hole is a great help .

/ 2011 Kubota B3300SU - Spacers Needed? #15  
The first thing I notice with these is that all of the tractor's weight will be carried on the bolts rather than the hub.
.....with hub flange to carry the weight...

Both of the above comments are incorrect from a technical perspective. First, the ONLY time weight is carried by the bolts is when the nuts are loose. In operation it is the friction between the hub flange surface and the surface of the rim or spacer as caused by the pinching effect when the bolts/nuts are tightened that carries the weight. Secondly, in the same manner, no weight is carried by the hub flange shoulder for exactly the same reason. At best the shoulder simply assists in centering the rim during installation. Once the fasteners are torqued it is the pinching effect causing friction between the two mating surfaces that transfers the weight between the two surfaces that are bolted together. The bolts only provide the pinching effect. Weight (torque) is transferred/carried/provided by the friction between the surfaced being pinched together. Sorry to go techincal, but wrong is wrong.

/ 2011 Kubota B3300SU - Spacers Needed? #16  
ButteBrute said:
Both of the above comments are incorrect from a technical perspective. First, the ONLY time weight is carried by the bolts is when the nuts are loose. Sorry to go techincal, but wrong is wrong.

And the Gold Medal goes to...

/ 2011 Kubota B3300SU - Spacers Needed? #17  
This will get everyone going. With all of the issues concerning clearance between the rear tires and fenders on the B30 series, why doesn't Kubota just increase the width of the rear tire spacing by 3 or 4 inches? Seems to me that it would solve the spacing problem and improve the stability.

/ 2011 Kubota B3300SU - Spacers Needed? #18  
I reckon it's more to do with reducing breakages than being unhelpful to us.
The stress on the rear end can lead to very expensive damage.
On a BX , they don't like 'em at all , and I can see how it would be easy to crack the trans case with carrying big loads.
With sensible use ( MMM etc ) they're very useful for improved stability and cut quality.

/ 2011 Kubota B3300SU - Spacers Needed? #19  
I reckon it's more to do with reducing breakages than being unhelpful to us.
The stress on the rear end can lead to very expensive damage.
On a BX , they don't like 'em at all , and I can see how it would be easy to crack the trans case with carrying big loads.
With sensible use ( MMM etc ) they're very useful for improved stability and cut quality.

From reading the various forums, I get the impression that the issue of stress and breakage is somewhat of an urban legend. Everyone worries about it, but has anyone ever seen the animal? It would help if anyone who uses/used spacers and has actually had a negative experience (not just "heard" about someone else) please speak up? My own experience was that tipping over was VERY unpleasant and I feel more secure now that I have the spacers and gladly appreciate the certainty of increased stability (and my life) over the rumor of breakages. St. Peter to new arrival: "Why are you here?" New Arrival: "Well, I heard that spacers would...so I didn't use them."

/ 2011 Kubota B3300SU - Spacers Needed? #20  
This will get everyone going. With all of the issues concerning clearance between the rear tires and fenders on the B30 series, why doesn't Kubota just increase the width of the rear tire spacing by 3 or 4 inches? Seems to me that it would solve the spacing problem and improve the stability.

Good question. Especially since the B series spacers are a Kubota option that you can build into the machine right on the website. I went with the Kubota spacers since the price wasn't all that much more than the aftermarket options, which translates to a reasonable charge for the dealer to install them. Plus, I trust the Kubota spacers more than some aftermarket part.

I actually purchased a particular aftermarket component from one of the manufacturers of the aftermarket spacers, and the component I purchased was a very poor design and I did not like the way it functioned at all. It got removed from the tractor within a month and then was sold. I decided that manufacturer wouldn't ever get another penny out of me, even though they have what appear to be some useful components. I just don't trust their design or build quality.