hydraulic hose failure

/ hydraulic hose failure #1  

jimbo64

Silver Member
blew my 5th hyd hose tonight on the l 2500 ---i know, tract is 10 yrs old- am replacing with heavy duty Gates hoses instead of kubota---these look a lot heavier duty-----must be hoses have a lose date- have another 7 old ones still on so im wondering if i should wait until these fail or just bite the bullet and change the remaining one--Murphys law is in effect here-failures all occur when im working a ways from the shop.:thumbdown:

/ hydraulic hose failure #2  
Change them all and get some sleep. You are almost halfway there anyhow! Save yourself the hassle when you NEED the tractor to work.

/ hydraulic hose failure #3  
I've never had a hose blow, but my L5030 is a few years old now and I've begun to wonder about them. They all visually look OK, no oozes.

Since you have experience, wonder if you would explain the symptoms you have experienced.

Are the hoses cracked and oozing prior to failure? In other words, Is there a visual indication of approaching problems?

Where were the failures at a bend, near a fitting? Any pattern here?

How did you find the failure...I'd imagine a leaking hose would still develop sufficient pressure such that the implement you were using would still function.

Any effects from lost oil?? My tractor is an HST, thus same oil for transmission and for implements. I worry that loss of fluid, unnoticed in the field while operating, might run the tank low and damage the transmission. I do not know of any "low fluid" sensor other than the dip stick.

/ hydraulic hose failure #4  
texasjohn:

generally a hose will have a catastrophic failure (blowing out of a fitting, for example), or it will develop a leak at a fitting or stress point (like a sharp bend). The chance of doing any damage due top fluid loss is near zero. If you get the level low enough that the pump can not draw enough fluid will result in the hydrostatic being starved and you will stop moving. Cavitation can cause damage, but only at high loads and high pressures. Anyone familiar with the the tractor would notice something was wrong and see fluid leaking.

paul

/ hydraulic hose failure #5  
Good to know...great explanation, thanks! Good to know that my normal walk around every time I start the tractor is sufficient to catch an emerging problem and that risk of HST problem is near zero. I've got over 1100 hours on the tractor, so am kinda familiar with it and how it looks and behaves:tractor:

And, hopefully I have sufficient knowledge and presence of mind to keep my body away from high pressure leaks...have seen photos of what happens to body with injected hydraulic fluid...don't want to go there:eek:

/ hydraulic hose failure #6  
To take this one step further, when you do have to replace a hyd. hose, do you have to bleed the system someway to get rid of the air space in the new hose?

/ hydraulic hose failure
To take this one step further, when you do have to replace a hyd. hose, do you have to bleed the system someway to get rid of the air space in the new hose?

nope-i just putback lost fluid and go

/ hydraulic hose failure
I've never had a hose blow, but my L5030 is a few years old now and I've begun to wonder about them. They all visually look OK, no oozes.

Since you have experience, wonder if you would explain the symptoms you have experienced.

Are the hoses cracked and oozing prior to failure? In other words, Is there a visual indication of approaching problems?

Where were the failures at a bend, near a fitting? Any pattern here?

How did you find the failure...I'd imagine a leaking hose would still develop sufficient pressure such that the implement you were using would still function.

Any effects from lost oil?? My tractor is an HST, thus same oil for transmission and for implements. I worry that loss of fluid, unnoticed in the field while operating, might run the tank low and damage the transmission. I do not know of any "low fluid" sensor other than the dip stick.

john-hoses were not oozing, last one did not blow at a bend so it was prob old age, im not hst so no effects there, just replaced oil and kept going once i did repair--found leak by observation, oil hitting the front loader in large quantity-pin hole caused it though---------one before ran under platform and blew up and soaked foot- im kinda in the mode now to visually scan the ones i can see pretty often while working----also--Local CarQuest makes my hoses
a lot cheaper then Kubota sells them and they are quality Gates high pressure hoses----------jimbo

/ hydraulic hose failure #9  
OK, thanks, got it....if suddenly your foot is wet, or it seems to be raining, it might be a busted hydraulic hose:laughing:
Thanks, Jimbo!

/ hydraulic hose failure #10  
You can get a little oozing from loose threaded connections which will show up with lots of attracted dirt and oil accumulation. Failure in hose is not hard to find as even a small pin hole that you cant see will go out with a loud pop and spray a cloud of oil out which if you are extremely lucky will be away from the driver seat. I have seen hoses with all the outside rubber worn off and the woven metal showing all over it and not leak, but I must have blown everyhose on my old Yanmar FEL and the hoses looked like new and were less than 1 year old when the first one blew out. I never had one leak at the compression fitting. The hoses werent rated as high of pressure by almost 1000 PSI as the ones I got from my local hose maker. I think they were 2500 PSI that came on the FEL which is marginal for the pressures it ran.