dumped front axel oil way before book says!!

/ dumped front axel oil way before book says!! #1  

namesray

Platinum Member
Tractor
kubota rtv900: kubota mx5200
i have been strugling with getting a good feel for kubota's new maintenance schedule, at least for their "b" series. my b7800 schedule by the manuel is quite a bit different from my b3200 schedule. specifically with the new 400 hour sudt2 fluid changes. my b7800 manuel stated to dump all fluids at 50 hrs. the b3200 only states to change the engine oil at 50 hrs and that the hst sudt2 and front axel sudt2 oil is good to 400 hrs for the first change. at least for the front axel,.... yeah right! i noticed the other day at approx 140 hrs the oil in my b3200 front axel was a little greyish colored when i wiped some on my finger from the dip stick. the hst sudt2 fluid was still clear. remembering back at my b7800 front axel changes (over 1000hrs on tractor now) the every 300 hrs change, the oil was a bit greyish when i did the pm. so i decided that sticking with the book on the b3200 with not doing the front axel oil until 400 hrs for the first time was not a good idea. at 145hrs i dumped the front axel oil on my b3200 for the first time and glad i did. it was a terrible grey color. pretty sure it didn't hurt anything yet, but to leave that in there for another 255 hrs i am sure wouldn't be the best thing for it.

anyone else out there notice this on their newer tractor? (not sure when kubota switched their maintenence schedule) anyone go the full 400 hrs for first front axel change. i don't agree with it personally. remembering back on my b7800, the hst sudt fluid never got too dirty looking, so that might be ok if i keep up with the filter changes, but i think the front axel should be dumped at the first 50 hrs and every 300 hrs. anyone else out there have an opinion?

/ dumped front axel oil way before book says!! #2  
It never hurts to change fluids.

/ dumped front axel oil way before book says!! #3  
You might want to check on that front end often, there may be something causing the gray color. I changed the front axel fluid on my BX25 (it uses the SUDT also) at 400 hrs per the manual. It was just as clear as the new stuff. If it happens again I would have it analyzed ands se what tghe gray matter is.

Ron

/ dumped front axel oil way before book says!! #4  
At least going by the front axle dipstick on my B2920, it's still reasonably clear at 70 hours.

/ dumped front axel oil way before book says!! #5  
I changed the axle fluid on my L4200 after the PO put 300 hours on it, and I put another 200, and it looked exactly as it went in. Then again, my tractor has 2600 hours on it, so maybe there is something that wears in early on.

JayC

/ dumped front axel oil way before book says!! #6  
I've had a B7800, B3200, B2320 and now a B2620. I have and will change them as recommended by the owners manual that comes with the specific model. That's what I did with the B7800, trusted what Kubota told me to do and not what people told me they were doing with their 10,20,30 year old machines and I feel good doing it. I've seen a difference in each machine as they've gotten newer year models.
If you want to do for your new machine every thing that you did for your 10 years ago machine, have at it and feel good. If you have the money, spend it and sleep good. I don't check for clear or grey but for level on the dip stick for the front end which is just immersion lubrication and not filtered or running in to the rest of the hydraulics of the tractor.

/ dumped front axel oil way before book says!! #7  
I dump my bx24 at 50 hours and had junk floating in it. If you wnat pic let me know. The first drain at like 300 hours is a complete joke.

/ dumped front axel oil way before book says!! #8  
Some import automobiles (many actually) have "life time" fluids in the transmission. Who's lifetime? And would you believe such a maintainence schedule from an outfit that leases vehicles for less than 7 years?

Mean while, the company that makes the transmissions (ZF) recommends regular fluid changes.

Additive packages can make a difference, ad I do not endorse "recreational fluid changes"

/ dumped front axel oil way before book says!! #9  
Some import automobiles (many actually) have "life time" fluids in the transmission. Who's lifetime? And would you believe such a maintainence schedule from an outfit that leases vehicles for less than 7 years?

Mean while, the company that makes the transmissions (ZF) recommends regular fluid changes.

Additive packages can make a difference, ad I do not endorse "recreational fluid changes"

Yup...And my (3) Lexus cars/suv are liftime atf and I drain at 50K miles. it was black..