Home/Catlettsburg Farm/Robinson Creek, Ky
    Tractor
    B2650 TLB

Default Happy Happy

Greasing the u-joints on my rotary cutter and rear finish mower have always been frustrating to me. I could never get the grease gun fitting to go on the u-joint grease fittings. The blasted driveline covers blocked my view and access to the fittings.
    So today, I needed to grease these two mowers. After geasing the front u-joint, which is easy to access with the mower unhooked from the tractor, I started on the dreaded rear u-joint. Had to use a flashlight just to see where the fitting was. Found where the fitting was and tried to get the grease gun nipple on the zerk. Could not get the two to hook up. So, I started looking at the cover that was blocking access to the fitting. Hummm, there looks to be a screw head there. Humm, is there an easy way to remove this cover.
    So, I rounded up the Woods BB48 owners manual and looked for instructions for removing the cover. Rats, no info on removing the cover. Oh wait, I have another little booklet that came with the mower that covers the Comer driveline. I thumbed through this little booklet, and lo and behold, there in black and white, directions on removing the cover.
    Rotate the screws a quarter of a turn, remove the three screws and slide that cover back, and there is the grease zerk in
    plain view and easy access. Happy Happy
    I am sure every one is well aware of this, but I am a slow learner.
    The things you can learn by actually reading the owners manual
    Happy Happy-2012-10-19_13-49-57_898-aHappy Happy-2012-10-19_13-50-22_653-aHappy Happy-2012-10-19_13-50-37_985-aHappy Happy-2012-10-19_13-50-50_108-aHappy Happy-2012-10-19_13-51-04_352-a

Default Re: Happy Happy

I guess people are correct when they said, "When all else fails: read the directions."

Tractor
    B2650 TLB

Quote Originally Posted by AStanton View Post
    I guess people are correct when they said, "When all else fails: read the directions."
    Very true. I had two LandPride cutters before, and to remove those covers, you had to press a button and turn the collar. That was a pain, and I imagined that Woods used the same system. But now I know better.

Tractor
    Kubota L3400DT

I used a small diameter hole saw and cut holes in the cover in the spots that were a pain to access. One was to get access to the bolt that holds the rear half of the shaft to the gearbox.

Sean

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota 2320

Quote Originally Posted by beckmurph View Post

Rotate the screws a quarter of a turn, remove the three screws and slide that cover back, and there is the grease zerk in
    plain view and easy access.
    I 've got similar set up . Which way did you rotate the screws ? Clockwise or counter ?
    There are old sailors and there are bold sailors, but there are no old, bold sailors.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    B2320, 48 " Woods Brushbull, LA304 loader, modified Kingkutter carryall, Middle Buster

Tractor
    B2650 TLB

Quote Originally Posted by sailorman View Post
    I 've got similar set up . Which way did you rotate the screws ? Clockwise or counter ?
    Your can turn the screw head either left or right. It is not actually a screw. It has two el shaped tangs, that lock into place when your turn the screw. Just turn the slotted head 1/4 of a turn, then pop the screw out of its hole.
    I think this is a better settup than LandPride had on their clutters. If you need to replace any parts of the plastic sheild, this makes it a lot easier to work on the shield.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota 2320

Quote Originally Posted by beckmurph View Post
    Your can turn the screw head either left or right.
    Thanks murph !
    There are old sailors and there are bold sailors, but there are no old, bold sailors.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    B2320, 48 " Woods Brushbull, LA304 loader, modified Kingkutter carryall, Middle Buster

Tractor
    Ford 1100

I was just a kid who liked to tinker. My farther in law was amazed I could get the snowblower on/off his cub cadet so easily. All I did was follow the instructions he never read. When all else fails... I like that!