L245DT Rear Axle Cover

/ L245DT Rear Axle Cover #1  

petegoud

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3200HST
I recently discovered a crack in the rear axle cover on my L245DT. I had been losing some oil, and thought it was a seal. Upon taking the cover off I discovered a plate that had been welded in, it looked like it was there to beef up the cover. I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this, is it something done at the factory, or afterwards has a repair?

Attachments

• Kubota rear axle cover.jpg
    Kubota rear axle cover.jpg
    808.1 KB · Views: 751
   / L245DT Rear Axle Cover #2  
I believe that was done sometime after it left the factory. I have had mine apart and didn't see the plate.

/ L245DT Rear Axle Cover
bky, thanks for the quick reply. I suspected that those plates were done after the fact, now, if I can only find out what did happen?

/ L245DT Rear Axle Cover #4  
That plate looks factory, or at least professionally done. Can't remember if my old L245 had that or not. But I had that part of the axle apart on one side a couple times for bearing replacement. That is a weak link in this model.

Where is the crack? Good thing is it's all press formed steel and easily welded.

/ L245DT Rear Axle Cover
I found the crack by laying the cover upside down on a bench and filling it with diesel. It was clear where the leak was then.

Attachments

• Kubota cover welded a.jpg
    Kubota cover welded a.jpg
    913.4 KB · Views: 846
   / L245DT Rear Axle Cover #6  
Looks like the crack area has been welded before?

I'd re-weld and put it back to work. I new seal wouldn't be a bad idea either...

/ L245DT Rear Axle Cover
Bluegill, that photo was taken after I welded the crack and painted it. If the weld doesn't work, maybe the paint will!

/ L245DT Rear Axle Cover #8  
Here's another variation - with a plate on the outside - looks factory - like there may have been some revised designs over the model run. Pic is from the Wenger's of Meyerstown website. (L235 model)

Attachments

• L235 axle cover.jpg
    L235 axle cover.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 422
   / L245DT Rear Axle Cover #9  
Bluegill, that photo was taken after I welded the crack and painted it. If the weld doesn't work, maybe the paint will!

OK I gottcha. You should be good to go! :)

Like I said, that part was a week link, but easy to fix

/ L245DT Rear Axle Cover #10  
Here's another variation - with a plate on the outside - looks factory - like there may have been some revised designs over the model run. Pic is from the Wenger's of Meyerstown website. (L235 model)
There was too much flex in the steel housing. Factory or not, that looks like a good fix.