L3830. HOW TO REPLACE GREASE BOOT ON FRONT AXLE?

/ L3830. HOW TO REPLACE GREASE BOOT ON FRONT AXLE? #1  

JakeBrake

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3830
Is there any easy way to replace a damaged grease boot on the front axle tie rod of my L3830? looks to me like a 10 cent part and $100 labor. Pictures below. Thanks.

Attachments

• 102_6748.jpg
    102_6748.jpg
    817.1 KB · Views: 508
  • 102_6749.jpg
    102_6749.jpg
    735.4 KB · Views: 419
   / L3830. HOW TO REPLACE GREASE BOOT ON FRONT AXLE? #2  
Turn the steering wheel to expose the inner end of the boot. You should be able to unscrew the linkage - mark or count the exposed threads so you can get back on with the right toe-in adjustment. There are 2 snap rings - one on each side. Getting the inner snap ring back on, with the boot loaded with grease, is a little like wrestling with a pig. Those boots are spendy. You may want to be seated when you ask for the price.

/ L3830. HOW TO REPLACE GREASE BOOT ON FRONT AXLE? #3  
   / L3830. HOW TO REPLACE GREASE BOOT ON FRONT AXLE? #4  
I took my tie rod apart at the thread instead of the tie rod end. If you look at the pictures you attached the threads are about the same size at the small end of the knuckle cover so it will fit over it easier than taking it over the tie rod end, if that is even possible. As others have said, I just counted the number of threads so I could get it back to the proper alignment. Where I had problems was getting the rubber cover over the joint in the middle of the tie rod.

I had put grease over the joint and as much as I tried I couldn't get the rubber cover over the joint, especially now that I've just made it slicker with the grease. I worked on it trying to stretch it over the joint but to no avail. I was really getting frustrated.

Then, for some reason, I decided to roll the rubber cover back on itself into the shape of a flat wafer. After that I pushed it up to the joint and simply unrolled it. It unrolled itself over the joint, almost falling into place by itself. I couldn't believe how easy it worked once I applied the right technique.

When you put the tie rod back together it might be helpful to have someone at the steering wheel to turn it so the threads can go back in easier.

/ L3830. HOW TO REPLACE GREASE BOOT ON FRONT AXLE?
All,

Thanks for the replies. Now it's a $10 part and $50 labor. My owner's manual has instructions for adjusting the toe-in so nothing can go wrong.

/ L3830. HOW TO REPLACE GREASE BOOT ON FRONT AXLE? #6  
Something can go wrong and often does-remember Murphy's Law.All kidding aside-Good Luck!