New MX5100 smokes/coughs on startup

/ New MX5100 smokes/coughs on startup #11  
Sounds like a cold start on my L5740. I have found that having the throttle set for 1500 rpm makes it start up the smoothest. Congrats on your new tractor!

/ New MX5100 smokes/coughs on startup #12  
My Kioti did the same thing since I got it new in June, and was quite hard to start the other cold morning. I checked the voltage at the glow plug ( light was coming on and relay was clicking, but that can mean nothing) and got nothing. Turns out the wiring harness was never hooked up when assembled! Starts with zero smoke and on first crank now.

/ New MX5100 smokes/coughs on startup #13  
My Kioti did the same thing since I got it new in June, and was quite hard to start the other cold morning. I checked the voltage at the glow plug ( light was coming on and relay was clicking, but that can mean nothing) and got nothing. Turns out the wiring harness was never hooked up when assembled! Starts with zero smoke and on first crank now.

That's interesting. I assume the glow plugs should be 12V?

/ New MX5100 smokes/coughs on startup
That's interesting. I assume the glow plugs should be 12V?

Well, it's a 12 volt starting system, so I'd assume that is the case.

Mine blows white smoke briefly on first start up of the day - no coughing though. I've not had to use the glow plugs yet. Smooth start every time so far.

I wouldn't say my smoking is brief, and "coughing" isn't brief either. It misses or coughs pretty severely for at least 5 seconds, and probably closer to 8 or 10.

/ New MX5100 smokes/coughs on startup #16  
This discussion has me thinking. My skid steer does exactly as described and in cold weather it can take 30 seconds to smooth out and stop smoking. It's done it since it was new. My son (who is a shop foreman at a different dealer) thought it was probably the injectors leaking while it is shut off and allowing fuel into the cylinder. I should have done something about it while it was under warranty but I procrastinated since it wasn't too bad in normal weather. Now I'm beginning to wonder if the glow plug isn't working correctly.

Ken

/ New MX5100 smokes/coughs on startup #17  
You know, I did not even bother to check after connecting. I think my 7.3 IDI is actually 6v for the glow plugs, though I could be wrong and thinking of some other diesel engine.

/ New MX5100 smokes/coughs on startup #18  
You know, I did not even bother to check after connecting. I think my 7.3 IDI is actually 6v for the glow plugs, though I could be wrong and thinking of some other diesel engine.

Unless you have two 6-volt ones connected in series, I don't know where you would get 6 volts to energize them.

Ken

/ New MX5100 smokes/coughs on startup #19  
Unless you have two 6-volt ones connected in series, I don't know where you would get 6 volts to energize them.

Ken

I think I may be thinking of people that run the lower voltage plugs in the 7.3, I think the IDI runs 12v to the glowplugs but again, not positive of that.

This discussion has me thinking. My skid steer does exactly as described and in cold weather it can take 30 seconds to smooth out and stop smoking. It's done it since it was new. My son (who is a shop foreman at a different dealer) thought it was probably the injectors leaking while it is shut off and allowing fuel into the cylinder. I should have done something about it while it was under warranty but I procrastinated since it wasn't too bad in normal weather. Now I'm beginning to wonder if the glow plug isn't working correctly.

Ken

Of course, reading the owners manual for the MX5100, it suggests not even bothering to use the glow plugs if the ambient temp is above approximately 40 degrees F. The instructions say to attempt a start without, and if the tractor fails to start, then hit the glow plugs for 10 seconds before hitting the starter again.

I will try advancing the throttle before starting to mid level. I've left it at a slow idle to start. Perhaps that will help.