New MX5100 smokes/coughs on startup

/ New MX5100 smokes/coughs on startup #1  

cmikewil

Tractor
Kubota MX5100, Massey 231
Just took delivery of a new MX5100 this past week (thanks again to all who helped me to pick the tractor out). I'm having one curious issue which I thought I might ask opinions of here before calling my dealer back.

I park the tractor outside, under cover, on a slightly unleveled surface. I find that, when I start the tractor cold, it coughs a bit (like it's missing), and smokes for about 5-10 seconds. The smoke clears soon after, and it runs fine from this point on. I feel like there may be either excess fuel (or oil?) burning off. Again, this only happens after sitting 24 hours. I can shut it off for lunch, and after sitting an hour or so, it starts just like my old Massey Ferguson 231 - without a hitch.

I backed the tractor into it's parking spot this past evening, which leaves the exhaust a few inches higher (rather than a few lower) than the main engine block to see if it makes any difference.

To be clear, we aren't talking about parking on a steep slope, just an uneven bit of ground - which cannot be leveled in case you are curious. Do I call the dealer, or does somebody here have an idea?

/ New MX5100 smokes/coughs on startup #2  
Are you using the glow plugs for cold starts? What color is the smoke?

/ New MX5100 smokes/coughs on startup
Yep, using the glow plugs for 3-5 seconds. It's happened each of the 3 mornings I've started it, with the nights hitting mid 40s, and temps up to probably 55(?) by the time I started it. Smoke appears white.

/ New MX5100 smokes/coughs on startup #4  
That's pretty normal for these EPA friendly diesels with the injection timing retarded. The white or gray smoke indicates cool combustion temperatures.

/ New MX5100 smokes/coughs on startup #6  
I mostly heat my glow plugs for about 15-20 seconds and that seems to help a bit

/ New MX5100 smokes/coughs on startup #7  
Although your instrument panel is much different than mine, I assume it has a glow plug lamp. Turn the key to run until the light goes out, then start it. It should clear up more quickly although in colder temps it will still smoke and run a little rough for a bit. Mine is now in an unheated machine shed. It starts and runs even for a couple seconds, then runs rough as the glow plugs are cooled off by incoming air, then back to smooth running as it warms up. Nothing unusual. Indirect injection engines like Kubotas under 60 hp have a lot of combustion chamber surface area to heat up.

/ New MX5100 smokes/coughs on startup #8  
Mine blows white smoke briefly on first start up of the day - no coughing though. I've not had to use the glow plugs yet. Smooth start every time so far.

/ New MX5100 smokes/coughs on startup #9  
Sounds Normal to me just like my L5740 Always a puff of smoke/stumble on first start more so the colder it is How does this tractor compare to the mf 231 you used before?

/ New MX5100 smokes/coughs on startup #10  
When I had a B3030 I'd also glow it for a few seconds after the engine started. That would seem to take the roughness out of the initial start up.