• image-1450030475.jpg
    image-1450030475.jpg
    399.1 KB · Views: 279
  • image-3388294753.jpg
    image-3388294753.jpg
    463.7 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
   / CAUTION ~ NEW does not mean CORRECT. #2  
The sticker says 32" overall length compressed. What does your tape measure say?

/ CAUTION ~ NEW does not mean CORRECT.
PoorPlowboy said:
The sticker says 32" overall length compressed. What does your tape measure say?

I saw the numbers on the sticker, hence me posting. It seemed much shorter (24-28") compressed perhaps. Did not measure the compressed size, it was the fourth issue (really) on the new mower, and had yet to start mowing. I decided to return it at that point and bought a 5' (American Made) Bush Hog mower. I try to invest my money wisely ;-) I still make mistakes ever so often. Keeps me humble!

/ CAUTION ~ NEW does not mean CORRECT. #4  
I looked at the label and verified it was for a 5' mower, and back I return home.

I think that marking on the sticker means it will fit the spline on a 4 or 5' mower, there is no generic shaft that fits all 5' mowers. You need to buy the correct length, which will vary from one tractor to another based on how long your 3pt arms are, how far your PTO stub sticks out, how far the gearbox is set back on the deck, etc. I size mine so they just have a bit of compression left when the mower is in fully raised position, that means I've got the most overlap in the shaft possible when it's lowered. Count your lucky stars that didn't come apart.

/ CAUTION ~ NEW does not mean CORRECT.
My past experience was always cutting it to size. I would connect both ends, measure and trim overage so that it doesn't bind up. This one appear to be right size, until I lowered the mower deck lower than the tractor ground level to start mowing around the pond. I should have fit and checked it. I'm sure it's my fault mostly :-(