PTO generator

/ PTO generator #11  
Well, based on discussions by users here, the PTO power level is usually 1.6 to 2 times the kw rating of the alternator. However, you need to figure out how much power you really need to survive, exist, or live off-grid. 15Kw is a LOT of juice. Also, having a much bigger alternator won't hurt anything if your tractor is rated at a lower power level. I have a 50kw WinPower that I run off my 35 hp CUT and also from my 22 hp diesel lawnmower. Running a well, furnace, garage door openers, TV, modems, chargers and decent lights doesn't come anywhere near my F-935 lawnmowers output capacity limit. You hear it hit the throttle but that's all I notice.

You might want to consider reworking your breakers to drop out low priority circuits and front load the high priority ones and balance the 220 loads in the box. Put your router in a high priority circuit (in my case for example).

How do you run a gen off your F935? They run 2500rpm of the pto.

/ PTO generator #12  
1 HP = 746 watts. But machines aren't 100% efficient. If you figure 500 Watts requires 1 PTO HP, you have a fairly reasonable estimate.

/ PTO generator #13  
Since you didn't do your homework and flunked the test of having a generator study up.

First - DON'T BUY A GENERATOR!!!

Buy two (at least). Get a small inexpensive hand portable, ~1KW or so and a bigger one for most of your other uses.

Wait for them to go on sale.

Hand portable for running the frig and a couple of lights, tailgate parties, charging the tractor when the battery dies away from a powerline, camping, loaning to your relative when you don't want to loan the good one.

Bigger one to run what you term essential.

Harbor Freight sells a cheap chinese 0.9KW generator for $180 LIST 800 Rated Watts/900 Max Watts Portable Generator . This will generally run a frig and a few lights. They were recently on sale for $90. I've had one for years, run's fine. Just don't leave ethanol gas in it for a long time, and if you do get Seafoam. Note this looks like the same generator that sells for $50@ in lots of 100.
Tiger Generator - Buy Tg650 Generator,Gasoline Generator,650w Gasoline Generator Product on Alibaba.com .

Bigger one - PTO - Scour Craigs list AFTER the storm. I got an almost new 12KW Winco for $600. Compared to almost $2K new.

/ PTO generator #14  
I have a 7.2 kw from Northern Tool.

NorthStar PTO Generator 7200 Watt, 14 HP Required | PTO Generators| Northern Tool + Equipment

It is made in the good olde USA. :dance1: I use it on my BX25 and couldn't do without it.

My only observation is that I get cleaner power if I have the PTO shaft inline and level with the tractor and generator. If not lined up, my eyes can sense some flicker from the lights. I have had no problems using my computer with it.

I only wish I had gotten the larger unit because I have now decided to get a larger tractor, too.

I understand many do not like Northern Tool. But, personally, I have gotten excellent service from them.

/ PTO generator #15  
I had one of the Northern tool 13kw pto generators and used it with my B7100. I don't think the B7100 is really capable of developing the power to drive the 13kw generator at full load but it worked well at what it took to power my house. We have lost power several times for a week at a time and I was not comfortable with my tractor running full bore 12-18 hours per day unattended. I considered a whole house generator but for various reasons did not like that idea. I wound up buying a used (ebay) 20kw wacker trailer mounted diesel generator. No regrets. Runs at 1800rpm and runs for days on a tank of fuel and is very quiet. Also, I can use it to power my welder when I need to weld and no power is available. I have found many other uses for it too.

/ PTO generator #16  
How do you run a gen off your F935? They run 2500rpm of the pto.

I bought a 3:1 reduction gearbox and have it mounted on a front mower deck bracket. The reduction gearbox has a 540 spline output shaft and the input is the 2200 rpm from the F935's pto shaft.

Bingo ! I check the voltage and frequency with a Kill-A-Watt analyzer.

/ PTO generator #17  
I bought a 3:1 reduction gearbox and have it mounted on a front mower deck bracket. The reduction gearbox has a 540 spline output shaft and the input is the 2200 rpm from the F935's pto shaft.

Bingo ! I check the voltage and frequency with a Kill-A-Watt analyzer.

Way to go....You are very smart man as Confucius would say....I don't think many folks would have thought of that...:thumbsup:

/ PTO generator #18  
I looked at a PTO generator for my Bx. Its kind of like a log splitter, it seems like for the money, you can get one with a gas engine for the same money or less than a PTO powered unit.

/ PTO generator #19  
I looked at a PTO generator for my Bx. Its kind of like a log splitter, it seems like for the money, you can get one with a gas engine for the same money or less than a PTO powered unit.

That is true. But, I do not want one more additional engine that won't start when I need it or even one more additional engine to maintain. My BX25 will always start, if for no other reason than I use it all the time.

I have a pressure washer with a separate engine. It will never start when I want to use it. So, if they ever go on sale, the next thing I am going to buy is a PTO pressure washer. And, I am also considering a small PTO log splitter. Now, if they only made a PTO powered...awwwww, forget it, they don't :laughing:

If I were an engine man, I am sure I would feel differently. But, I am not, nor do I want to become one.

/ PTO generator #20  
That is true. But, I do not want one more additional engine that won't start when I need it or even one more additional engine to maintain. <snip>

EXACTLY!!
I have slowly given up any hope of being 100% sure I will be able to tackle a project in a timely manner if it involves an engine which is only used occasionally. Especially 2 cycle.

Used to be I'd go to use the weed whacker, spend 5 minutes to an hour getting it started. The guy next door to me nearly yanked his arm off trying to start his generator. I've got at least 10 different small gasoline engines, all requiring plugs, filters, etc. Add in a few tractors and a fleet of 6 vehicles and it's a pain.

On my 2-stroke engines (1 generator, 2 weed whackers, 5 chainsaws) I make it a point to fire them all up every few weeks. My suburban neighbors wonder why the HE77 I start up my Stihl 088, two Stihl 660's a JD CS 62, a Stihl 021, and an Efco 3600 every few weeks and just cut 2 or so pieces of firewood. I've found if I do that they always run. If not, even if run dry before putting up I often had to treat them with Seafoam.

So a PTO generator with an often used tractor seemed like an excellent combo to me. I figure minimal maintenance will ensure it's always operable.