PTO generator

/ PTO generator #31  
Good points. I'll look around for a small pto unit. See what the cost is.

/ PTO generator #32  
You really don't want that type of connection. Attachments move around vibrate and bounce up and down, you want a flexible link to prevent that from being transmitted to the gearbox.
I was thinking in terms of a direct mount using a type of "bell housing" much the same as an engine is attached to a generator to make a genset. Tractors aren't designed for this type of setup so it would require some design and fabrication for sure. A flex coupling such as Lovejoy would probably be needed if perfect alignment of the two PTO shafts wasn't possible.

/ PTO generator #33  
There must be a reason why a PTO generator can't be run direct mounted to the tractor PTO but if would make a cleaner setup by eliminating the PTO shaft.

The PTO shaft also includes a shear pin, a nice idea should anything go wrong inside the genset.

/ PTO generator #34  
There must be a reason why a PTO generator can't be run direct mounted to the tractor PTO but if would make a cleaner setup by eliminating the PTO shaft.

The PTO shaft also includes a shear pin, a nice idea should anything go wrong inside the genset.

/ PTO generator #35  
As someone who has gone the economical efficient route let me give you my 2cents. Calculate the maximum power you think you might use and then add 30% to the size. Fuel consumption is a direct relationship to power being generated. And really, when your out of power is 1 gph or 1.1 gph of any real concern. :2cents:

/ PTO generator #36  
For calculating power needs, I suppose I need to look at the actual motors and such, not just the amperage of the circuits, right?

/ PTO generator #37  
For calculating power needs, I suppose I need to look at the actual motors and such, not just the amperage of the circuits, right?

Yes but there's more. Look on the motor to see the power it uses (as a rough estimate you can use 746 watts = 1 HP and divide down; for example 1/3 hp motor will be about .33 x 746 or about 250 watts). You also have to take into account starting load on motors. For this take the motor power and multiply it by 3, so our 1/3 HP motor requires about 750 watts to start.

/ PTO generator #38  
Thanks.

Yes but there's more. Look on the motor to see the power it uses (as a rough estimate you can use 746 watts = 1 HP and divide down; for example 1/3 hp motor will be about .33 x 746 or about 250 watts). You also have to take into account starting load on motors. For this take the motor power and multiply it by 3, so our 1/3 HP motor requires about 750 watts to start.

/ PTO generator #39  
I thought I'd chime in on this thread. I don't have a pto generator, but I have a standalone gas powered Generator. It has a Yamaha motor and I got it from Costco a number of years ago. It's around 6800 watts running and 8500 watts max. I made a little hutch for it so I can run it during a blizzard without it getting buried because our panel and the plug I wired into the panel is on the outside of the house.

I've used it a number of times to run the house since I bought it.

I've never had a problem starting the generator, as the majority of it's use has occurred in winter time. We've lost power for up to 3 days in some of the really big snow storms. It's nice to have the generator doing it's thing keeping the house running. I couldn't imagine having the tractor tied up when all that work needs to be done for 3 days, or connecting/disconnecting a PTO generator numerous times during those 3 days. There's enough to deal with as it is in those situations.

All I need to do to keep power going is keep the 8 gallon fuel tank on the generator filled.

/ PTO generator #40  
I'm with bandit67 on this one. When I need a generator, I usually also need the BX for tractor duty.

I've got a 20 year old Honda ES6500 that hasn't failed me - yet. I keep the fuel fresh and stabilized and the battery on a little smart charger.

Needs vary, but this works the best for me.

Z.