PTO generator

/ PTO generator #1  

Tcfake613

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620
Go figure.... Can't find a PTO generator anywhere on earth. Why don't I buy stuff when I don't need it???

This is the last storm I'm going through without a generator.

Sigh....

/ PTO generator #2  
I know what you mean, but I'm lucky and have a 5500k from around 2000. That said we have been looking at a whole house backup NG unit from Generac natural gas 14kw. Anyone else using the PTO units... wonder how they work for powering computers? Prayer for you over their... wer're going to hit over here in W PA too.

/ PTO generator #3  
I know what you mean, but I'm lucky and have a 5500k from around 2000. That said we have been looking at a whole house backup NG unit from Generac natural gas 14kw. Anyone else using the PTO units... wonder how they work for powering computers? Prayer for you over their... wer're going to hit over here in W PA too.

I have a Tiger Power 15kw PTO generator & the only way you can tell the difference from line power is that you can hear the tractor running. Mine seems to be prefectly OK for powering the computer.

/ PTO generator #4  
They're a lifesaver, once this storm is over for you guys and things return to normal, start shopping and pick one up. I've had mine for about 5 years, I end up using it out in the field to power electric tools more than I use it for emergencies. But it's nice to have for peace of mind.

/ PTO generator #5  
God bless you guys, wishing you the best. We got pounded by two, back to back, Charlie and Wilma, in '04 and '05. I've always debated PTO vs. propane, we don't have NG here. Just remember, PTO will put many costly hours on your rig. I bought a little generac to run my well and freezer, no AC. Some guys just fill their freezer with ice bottles and cook on their propane grill, use kerosene lamps. Whatever you get, make sure it's 230v. Good luck.

/ PTO generator #7  
How much power(HP) does it take to run a PTO gen such as 15kw? Got any links to them?

Well, based on discussions by users here, the PTO power level is usually 1.6 to 2 times the kw rating of the alternator. However, you need to figure out how much power you really need to survive, exist, or live off-grid. 15Kw is a LOT of juice. Also, having a much bigger alternator won't hurt anything if your tractor is rated at a lower power level. I have a 50kw WinPower that I run off my 35 hp CUT and also from my 22 hp diesel lawnmower. Running a well, furnace, garage door openers, TV, modems, chargers and decent lights doesn't come anywhere near my F-935 lawnmowers output capacity limit. You hear it hit the throttle but that's all I notice.

You might want to consider reworking your breakers to drop out low priority circuits and front load the high priority ones and balance the 220 loads in the box. Put your router in a high priority circuit (in my case for example).

/ PTO generator #8  
Go figure.... Can't find a PTO generator anywhere on earth. Why don't I buy stuff when I don't need it???

This is the last storm I'm going through without a generator.

Sigh....
Howdy,
By looking at your address, I would be talking to Messick's.
I have a Tiger Power 30kw PTO generator from Messick's, works great, covers everything and is smooth. Maybe a little cleaner than the utility power too. Don't worry so much about putting hours on your tractor. You bought it to use it.
PTO Generator takes approx 2hp per 1 kw produced. You can have a larger generator, than the tractor runs too. You will just get the max from the tractor side of the power equation.
Say a 25hp at the PTO shaft tractor connectoed to a 20kw pto generator = approx max kw produced would be around 13-14kw

Storm time shopping makes generators scarce. good luck

/ PTO generator
First thing I did was check Messicks website. I only live a couple miles away. If you check the website it says that they are sold out of PTO generators due to Sandy. Northern Tool has them but there was no way I was going to have one shipped in time. I will learn my lessons pick one up when I can.

Everything is pretty much shut down right now.... Just kinda sitting here waiting.

/ PTO generator #10  
You have to get a little lucky, but I bought my 20KW Tiger power on Craigs List. they are out there, just watch for them. Wait til after Sandy has passed for a few months, and there will probably be several of them.