MX5100 --don't ruin your leather boots on foot controls.--gear drive

/ MX5100 --don't ruin your leather boots on foot controls.--gear drive #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
OK, this is small potatoes from the get-go. i love my MX5100 and, all things considered, is perfect. Except for the small item that the distance between the throttle foot pedal and the lever on the floor to engage the rear wheel lock (positraction) is too close and if you aren't careful can ruin a new pair of leather boots in an afternoon. And boots ain't cheap these days with Red Wings at a couple hundred $$.

The foot lever is too close for sure but the end of it is bent the wrong direction and a semi-sharp edge hits right where your boot heel rests. Here's what my brand new boot heel looked like after a couple hours of scruffing that lever.

004.JPG

Now, here's a sort-of solution. I found a piece of soft rubber hose, cut it and slipped over the edge of the lever and it helps a lot. I'm still not real happy and might try to wrap in leather or something softer. I think the rubber thing I used is a sprayer drop tube. Found it in the road near the house and it fit like a glove. Still, it abrades my boot a little. Here's what the hose looks like on the lever.

001.JPG002.JPG

/ MX5100 --don't ruin your leather boots on foot controls.--gear drive #2  
I have not had problem with that yet, but if I do then I would drill small 1/8 dia hole thru the bend section to accept a pin. I would then weld a platform (small 1/4" thick steel may be 2"x3) and weld that on to a small section of pipe a bit larger diameter than differential lock mechanism. I put a hole on the pipe of the platform and use a pin to attach it. Now you have a quick connect:D platform extension that you can use to engage diffy luck.

JC,

OK, this is small potatoes from the get-go. i love my MX5100 and, all things considered, is perfect. Except for the small item that the distance between the throttle foot pedal and the lever on the floor to engage the rear wheel lock (positraction) is too close and if you aren't careful can ruin a new pair of leather boots in an afternoon. And boots ain't cheap these days with Red Wings at a couple hundred $$.

The foot lever is too close for sure but the end of it is bent the wrong direction and a semi-sharp edge hits right where your boot heel rests. Here's what my brand new boot heel looked like after a couple hours of scruffing that lever.

View attachment 286720

Now, here's a sort-of solution. I found a piece of soft rubber hose, cut it and slipped over the edge of the lever and it helps a lot. I'm still not real happy and might try to wrap in leather or something softer. I think the rubber thing I used is a sprayer drop tube. Found it in the road near the house and it fit like a glove. Still, it abrades my boot a little. Here's what the hose looks like on the lever.

View attachment 286718View attachment 286719

/ MX5100 --don't ruin your leather boots on foot controls.--gear drive #3  
Wear old boots. And buy some Kiwi brown polish for the ones in the pic... they'll be good as new... they are far from ruined.

Nice countermeasure on the diff lock button.

/ MX5100 --don't ruin your leather boots on foot controls.--gear drive #4  
PapaPerk said:
Wear old boots. And buy some Kiwi brown polish for the ones in the pic... they'll be good as new... they are far from ruined.

Nice countermeasure on the diff lock button.

I agree. I have two sets of clothes, "going to town" clothes and "work" clothes. My "work" boots are always last years "going to town" boots.

I like your simple solution though.

/ MX5100 --don't ruin your leather boots on foot controls.--gear drive #5  
A piece of heavy wall heat shrink tubing would probably work good too.

Last edited:
   / MX5100 --don't ruin your leather boots on foot controls.--gear drive #6  
you should see my danners only 2 yrs old if you tear the leather on your boot a shoe repair shop can fix it i tore mine my boots were

/ MX5100 --don't ruin your leather boots on foot controls.--gear drive #7  
Finally a mod that I can do!!!!!:thumbsup: