Does this look "finished"

/ Does this look "finished" #11  
To me it looks like there are small splines between the larger ones? Or is that an illusion?

/ Does this look "finished"
To DT86 - I don't know, but I will look hard for burs or whatever before I go hauling it back to the dealership.

/ Does this look "finished" #13  
Jhossack1 said:
To DT86 - I don't know, but I will look hard for burs or whatever before I go hauling it back to the dealership.

Try a wire wheel on a cordless drill if there is any crud/rust on it. Then try to hook the shaft to the tractor with out the other end connected to the implement.

Are you sure you had everything lined up properly? As in, the splines on both shafts and everything inline with each other. Is the shaft sliding in and out as it should?

I have cleaned it up with a wire brush (handheld). The female wont even start onto the male tractor shaft - at all. The female shaft for the tiller is operating fine - tested at the dealer today.

/ Does this look "finished" #15  
RoyJackson said:
Good point, Egon...the OP may have a grey market machine.

Do you think your machine is grey market?

/ Does this look "finished" #16  
Well your shaft out of the tractor doesn't look like pto shafts ive seen before. Should just be straight channel from the front to the back. It almost appears to be some kind of upside down v in the low spots on the shaft. If that is true I don't think your shaft is going to line up.

I dont think so - but not sure - just because I have no idea what "grey" market is. Bought it from a dealer in Pontiac Michigan close to 20 years ago.

/ Does this look "finished" #18  
Jhossack1 said:
I dont think so - but not sure - just because I have no idea what "grey" market is. Bought it from a dealer in Pontiac Michigan close to 20 years ago.

Grey market machines are designed for use over seas and have found their way to the States. They lack safety standards required in the US and are also different in other ways, the odd size reverse rotation pto mentioned earlier, stickers in Japanese, ect.

Last edited:
   / Does this look "finished" #19  
Spline looks different.
If it's only those small splines and all else is the same, just grind them off. I have done it with a hand held grider and all worked fine.
Accurately measure first.

/ Does this look "finished" #20  
When you engage the PTO which way does it turn? Grinding may be a waste of time if it's reverse rotation.