RTV 1140 Using Coolant

/ RTV 1140 Using Coolant #1  

JB00

Tractor
JD 2755
Hello all,

My first post here. Thanks in advance for any replies. We've had our RTV 1140 for a couple of months now and have used 3 tanks of diesel. It has about 75 hrs. on the meter. I did the 50hr. maintenance on it on time. It has used a gallon of coolant so far and yesterday I saw rusty residue and whiffs of smoke smelling like coolant coming from the rear exhaust port like it's soaking through the gasket? Anyone ever had one do this? Thanks again for sharing your experiences........

/ RTV 1140 Using Coolant #2  
Welcome to the forum.

Did your oil have coolant in it?

If it has not been leaking it has to be burning.

/ RTV 1140 Using Coolant
Thanks...

Yep, It smells of burnt coolant out the exhaust, I thought head gasket, cracked head, cracked block or any combination of the above. Just was wondering if anyone else had such a problem with a new machine.

Thanks again...

/ RTV 1140 Using Coolant #4  
You'll get more responses over at the RTV/ATV forum. I have a 1140 and haven't noticed any issues. Recently did my 50 hour service and have owned it for almost 3 years or this will be the 3rd winter. ATVs & Utility Vehicles

/ RTV 1140 Using Coolant #5  
JB00 said:
Thanks...

Yep, It smells of burnt coolant out the exhaust, I thought head gasket, cracked head, cracked block or any combination of the above. Just was wondering if anyone else had such a problem with a new machine.

Thanks again...

Yeah it could be any of what you said. Since it is still under warranty I would get it to the dealer ASAP. I don't recommend running it like that.

/ RTV 1140 Using Coolant #6  
yep, I'd take it to the dealer...
I have an 1140, several hundred hours, nothing of the kind has happened to mine.

and, :welcome:

/ RTV 1140 Using Coolant
Thanks! Mine also has a loud rattling noise when its sitting at idle coming from the front drive shaft. It seems to have a lot of slack and makes a loud rattling sound with the engine idling. I wanted the dealership to fix that noise but was told "they all do that". Does your's have that noise on the front drive shaft?

/ RTV 1140 Using Coolant #8  
Thanks! Mine also has a loud rattling noise when its sitting at idle coming from the front drive shaft. It seems to have a lot of slack and makes a loud rattling sound with the engine idling. I wanted the dealership to fix that noise but was told "they all do that". Does your's have that noise on the front drive shaft?

Just to make sure, I just went out and started my 1140....Sure enough rattle in front.....I've got a hood rack, went up and rearranged things...rattle gone.....no rattle/sound from the front now.

Yep, rattle in the REAR...it's a diesel...it makes noise, although one of the quietest diesels I've run across.

I'd make sure there is nothing under the hood or elsewhere in the front that is the source of the noise. Assuming that you are correct and that the noise is emanating from a front drive shaft, proven by putting your hand on it and stopping the noise, I'd take it to the dealer. For sure, mine has no such rattle from front axles/shafts. Are you sure the hood is latched?? I had mine in 2wd for the test, didn't put it into 4wd, but can't see that would make a difference. I do not recall any such rattle in any gear, moving or stationary.

I'd also get in a different 1140 at the dealer, start it up and listen for the same rattle...bet it's not there.

It simply doesn't make sense to me that there should be a rattle from an immobile vehicle's drive shaft, either front or rear.

A gallon of coolant?? I don't recall EVER adding coolant to mine...and I have checked it a couple of times...and it got hot because the radiator got filled with dust and trash. Washed it out with the hose. I'd take it to dealer for sure for coolant loss. Let us know what you find out.

/ RTV 1140 Using Coolant
Yep, Its at the dealer already. The rattle was evident to me from the first time I cranked it up. It was delivered to me by the salesman. When I asked them to fix it, I was told "Nothing can be done about that, they all do it" But I insisted that the demo me and the wife rode around the dealership never made that noise. It's louder than the engine. Anyway its at the dealership now for 3 days and still no information coming from them on these issues.
Thanks!

/ RTV 1140 Using Coolant #10  
Yep, Its at the dealer already. The rattle was evident to me from the first time I cranked it up. It was delivered to me by the salesman. When I asked them to fix it, I was told "Nothing can be done about that, they all do it" But I insisted that the demo me and the wife rode around the dealership never made that noise. It's louder than the engine. Anyway its at the dealership now for 3 days and still no information coming from them on these issues.
Thanks!

Clearly, that's not right...expect that you will get a call saying all's fixed now...may be a couple of days more...