Electrical problem

/ Electrical problem #1  

mtnsmith

Tractor
1993 B2150D
My 1993 B2150D Kubota drains the battery immediately when I position the switch to the glow plug heat position. I haven't checked the relay upstream of the controller yet but don't think if it is faulty It wouldn't drain battery, only fail to heat glow plugs. The glow plug indicator light does come on for an instant and then goes out as the battery goes completely dead. I fear that one of the glow plugs has a short. Can this happen? The tractor only has about 500 hours on it. Thanks for any info. mtnsmith

/ Electrical problem #2  
Maybe your battery is junk..??....Did you test the voltage at the battery when turning on glow plugs..??

That should not go dead that fast.....even if it was a short or bad relay

/ Electrical problem #3  
BTW, Welcome mtnsmith..:welcome:

/ Electrical problem
I did try it first with the battery that came in the tractor when I bought it in 2010, but then I replaced it with a battery I had just removed from my '07 Camry which was in goo working condition and which I charged before trying it in the tractor. I didn't check the battery voltage at the battery when I turned on the glow plugs, but after the indicator light went out, I turned the key to off and back on and the 'on' indicator light did not come on. I guess I can check relay to see if it is working and then check resistance of each glow plug.

/ Electrical problem
Thanks for the Welcome.

/ Electrical problem #6  
I think you need to check the volatge at the battery source while engaging switch..(while under load)...best to rule out battery and work downstream checking voltages at each connection (in case you have a bad one)

/ Electrical problem
OK, I'll check voltage of battery under load first. Thanks

/ Electrical problem #8  
Time destroys things just as much as actual hours on a machine might too!

/ Electrical problem
Agree that wires and electrical items will deteriorate with time. Wires appear to be OK so far. Have some relatives that had problems with rats eating wires on a Ford Focus and Explorer and not bothering other vehicles parked with them.

/ Electrical problem #10  
My 1993 B2150D Kubota drains the battery immediately when I position the switch to the glow plug heat position. I haven't checked the relay upstream of the controller yet but don't think if it is faulty It wouldn't drain battery, only fail to heat glow plugs. The glow plug indicator light does come on for an instant and then goes out as the battery goes completely dead. I fear that one of the glow plugs has a short. Can this happen? The tractor only has about 500 hours on it. Thanks for any info. mtnsmith

I have a Kubota L4350DT with a number of electrical gremlins I have been sorting out. I would recommend that you spend the money and buy a owners manual with the electrical diagram and the service manual for your model. Between the two they provide the information to trace and locate electrical problems.
I would start with cleaning and checking contact points and using diaelectric grease for connections. My problems were tracked back to the fuse block and relays.
Good luck!