Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

Default Re: Need "family advice"

I don't think saying no to family is easy for most of us either, we have just found it to be the best for us and those involved. It may not be in all situations for all people.
    Thread on helpful tractor abbreviations: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...-acronyms.html

Tractor
    B3200, L5740,

There are always those family members that will abuse the 'family' relationship. My 2c is to find out exactly what he needs it for and then set down some firm rules about what it does, when it comes back etc. If he then breaks any one of the rules you have grounds to refuse further borrowings. At that point you do not need to feel bad and he will have no grounds for hurt feelings. My bet is he will stop borrowing your equipment if his feet are held to the coals so to speak.
    L5740 LA854 loader
    L3130 LA723 loader sold
    B3200 LA504 loader
    B1550 sold
    B2620 sold
    B4200 sold
    F2680E
    GF1800
    Kubota RTV900
    JD 850D Gator sold
    JD F935 x 2 sold
    Case 590SM-2
    JD 310D TLB
    Ford 555D sold
    Gehl 602 excavator

Tractor
    Kubota L4240 HSTC,L3000DT

Never again ,did it once;Kept my brand new tractor for six weeks.When I went to pick it up it was parked next to road with the key in it!Broke one of the cab lites(which was fairly minor) that I replaced.They called a day later to see if I had taken the tractor!The only one I will let use my tractor is my son and he is a professional operator,and he never asked.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400

I realize that it is difficult to say no to people; especially Family. It is not my intention to persuade you in any way or fashion in regards to your display of kindness. Just a thought? During my lifetime, on many occasions, I have had tools and equipment misused and damaged by loaning them out. It is human nature to take better care of things, when one has to work hard and save the money to purchase machinery. Most people will not consider this issue. I will only supply you with only one example-there are many. A year ago, I finally saved enough money to buy a Stihl brush cutter. This was the commercial unit with bicycle handles; etc. One of our Son-in-Law's asked to borrow it, and I allowed him to use it. Two days later, I went to our Daughter's home to visit the Grandchildren. My SIL's truck was in the driveway. In the back of the pickup was my brush cutter. There was a heavy rain the previous night and the brush cutter was left out all night long. Best wishes. I wish to reiterate that it is not my intention to be judgmental. But we don't live in a perfect World and people are definitely not perfect. I guarantee you that if you check with other people, there will be a large percentage that will tell you that, in many incidents, FAMILY members will be at the fore front in taking advantage of other kind hearted Family members.
    The PUPIL who does not surpass his Master, fails his Master.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Montana 4320

Once you learn to say NO, it gets easier the rest of the time. That applies to all, family and friends.

Tractor
    2008 Kubota b2920

Yup NO here also
    ericher69
    IAFF Local 849

Tractor
    Kubota BX24, GR2120

A little bit of a tangent ... a diving buddy is an exceptional boatwright, fiberglass whiz and mechanic.

He gets asked to do stuff by friends and family all the time. When asked how much he charges, his reply to close friends and family: "the going rate or free -- you pick".

So far it's worked well for him and called BS on those who ask, hoping to take advantage. One day it's going to cost him big

Z.
    "Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but not their own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Tractor
    New Holland TC40D

I generally go with my tractor. You want to borrow the tractor, you're borrowing me too. There are a couple exceptions, but only a couple.

And dont forget, the time it takes to hookup and load trailer, transport, drop off, disconnect trailer, and doo over to go pick the tractor up again...

Same with my car or truck. You want to use my truck to move that refridgerator? The truck comes with me...
    RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

Tractor
    B2620 GR2120

No one has ever asked to borrow my tractor but if they did I would say no.

Nobody, no matter how well-intentioned, will ever take care of your equipment better than you do. Making deals, setting parameters, even signing contracts to cover damage and repairs is not good enough. A family member may weasel out and, since it is "family", will probably get away with it.

Home insurance only covers your tractor on your property.

Anyway, my retort is always, "I love my tractor as much as my wife. You wouldn't ask to borrow my wife for your personal use now would you."

It usually shuts them up. Unfortunately, I have an attractive wife. But they get the idea when put in those terms.
    2009 Kubota M7040, R1s, LA1153 FEL, fork lift, 3 rear remotes, T&T
    2002 Kubota L48 TLB, 12", 18", 24" HD buckets
    2001 Kubota BX2200, Turf, LA211 FEL
    7.5' Howse 3PT disc, 88" Gearmore 4G4 box scraper, 4' box scraper, Gearmore GB85 blade, LandPride RCR2596 cutter, 6', 4' flail mowers, 6', 4' rototiller, 4' Bush Hog cutter, HD subsoiler, Bearcat 70554 chipper, Bush Hog PHD w/ 12", 6" augers, Ford 101 3-bottom plow, 8' land leveler, 6' rake, lots of misc.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast