Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota L3400 DT,John Deere GT 235,JD GENERATOR AC-G8010S-E

Default Re: Need "family advice"

I don't lend out my equipment either unless its an attachment to a real friend,family member. Like someone esle said "I go with my equipment. I have a neighbor that is apparently well off($) and he would try to borrow most anything. Till one day I had a tough day and he showed up with his usual B/S lines and I had to tell him "Why don't you sell off one of your rental properties and buy your own tractor/tools/equipment etc cause I bought my own not too bother people.
    His response was"Are you kidding those properties leave me monthly income". Thank the Great Lord I rarely see him anymore !

Boone
    2 CHRONICLES 7 : 14 (KJV)

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400

Quote Originally Posted by bullbreaker View Post
    I don't lend out my equipment either unless its an attachment to a real friend,family member. Like someone esle said "I go with my equipment. I have a neighbor that is apparently well off($) and he would try to borrow most anything. Till one day I had a tough day and he showed up with his usual B/S lines and I had to tell him "Why don't you sell off one of your rental properties and buy your own tractor/tools/equipment etc cause I bought my own not too bother people.
    His response was"Are you kidding those properties leave me monthly income". Thank the Great Lord I rarely see him anymore !

Boone
    Well done.
    The PUPIL who does not surpass his Master, fails his Master.

Veteran Member

I agree with the advice that has been given. I learned my lesson at age 16 when a "friend" asked to borrow my motorcycle to visit his dad in the hospital. He calls me and tells me where I can pick up my smashed bike along side the road - nowhere near the hospital. Of course, he said he'd pay me. I'm 60 now and still waiting.

New England Yankee living in Central Maine
    Tractor
    NH TC30

Quote Originally Posted by frogfish View Post
    My father would always say, Never a lender or a borrower be .
    Polonius to his son Laertes, Hamlet/Shakespeare!
    2003 NH TC30, 5' International Agritech Bushog, Hiller/Bedder, + miscellaneous and sundry items of use.

Tractor
    Kubota B7800 with FEL

After loaning things for a few years and repairing it after it was returned I figured out it was less time and expense for me to just take the equipment there and do the job myself. I come with the equipment. This may or may not cause hard feelings. Returning my equipment damaged for sure does not endear me to the person who borrowed it.
    I used to do the Hokey Pokey but I turned myself around.

Tractor
    JOHN DEERE 2320

Somehow find the words to say,
    Don't take this personal but "no".

the next time gets easier!
    Tom
    2012 JD 2320, HOMEMADE CANOPY, 54" FRONT BLADE, 54" MID DECK MOWER, HYDRAULIC ANGLE 60" REAR BLADE, QUICK HITCH, STAINLESS FRONT MOUNT SPRAY TANK W/BOOM, 200CX LOADER W/ 61" BUCKET, HOMEMADE BALLAST BOX,HOMEMADE BUCKET GRAPPLE
    1998 "BIG DOOLEY" Chevy K3500 Crew Cab (36.000 miles & counting)

United Steel Workers Union 12934

Tractor
    Kubota's

SAY , NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO , now you can say no.

Tractor
    Kubota B3030HSDC

Had a neighbor ask me if I loaned out my tractor, as he had an small concrete block wall to remove in his yard. Of course I said no. He then said no problem, I'll rent a mini-ex for $250 / day to do it. Strange thing is, I'd have been more than happy to do it for him for $200......

Tractor
    2010 KUBOTA B2320, 2010 KIOTI CK27

Quote Originally Posted by gwdixon
    Nobody, no matter how well-intentioned, will ever take care of your equipment better than you do. Making deals, setting parameters, even signing contracts to cover damage and repairs is not good enough. A family member may weasel out and, since it is "family", will probably get away with it.

Home insurance only covers your tractor on your property.

Anyway, my retort is always, "I love my tractor as much as my wife. You wouldn't ask to borrow my wife for your personal use now would you."

It usually shuts them up. Unfortunately, I have an attractive wife. But they get the idea when put in those terms.

Funny you said that... I did tell him that I would actually let him take my wife rather than loaning my tractor.... He obviously didn't get the point, and she thankfully didn't hear me.

Tractor
    2010 KUBOTA B2320, 2010 KIOTI CK27

Thanks for the good suggestions. I don't want to come across as an *** , but this guy just doesn't get the point. Reflecting back, I don't owe him any debts, and if he does not understand the situation, then maybe I should stop trying to explain reasons for my hesitation and just say no.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast