Need "family advice"

/ Need "family advice" #21  
I don't lend out my equipment either unless its an attachment to a real friend,family member. Like someone esle said "I go with my equipment. I have a neighbor that is apparently well off($) and he would try to borrow most anything. Till one day I had a tough day and he showed up with his usual B/S lines and I had to tell him "Why don't you sell off one of your rental properties and buy your own tractor/tools/equipment etc cause I bought my own not too bother people.
His response was"Are you kidding those properties leave me monthly income". Thank the Great Lord I rarely see him anymore ! :thumbsup:

Boone

/ Need "family advice" #22  
I don't lend out my equipment either unless its an attachment to a real friend,family member. Like someone esle said "I go with my equipment. I have a neighbor that is apparently well off($) and he would try to borrow most anything. Till one day I had a tough day and he showed up with his usual B/S lines and I had to tell him "Why don't you sell off one of your rental properties and buy your own tractor/tools/equipment etc cause I bought my own not too bother people.
His response was"Are you kidding those properties leave me monthly income". Thank the Great Lord I rarely see him anymore ! :thumbsup:

Boone
Well done. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

/ Need "family advice" #23  
I agree with the advice that has been given. I learned my lesson at age 16 when a "friend" asked to borrow my motorcycle to visit his dad in the hospital. He calls me and tells me where I can pick up my smashed bike along side the road - nowhere near the hospital. Of course, he said he'd pay me. I'm 60 now and still waiting.

/ Need "family advice" #25  
After loaning things for a few years and repairing it after it was returned I figured out it was less time and expense for me to just take the equipment there and do the job myself. I come with the equipment. This may or may not cause hard feelings. Returning my equipment damaged for sure does not endear me to the person who borrowed it.

/ Need "family advice" #26  
Somehow find the words to say,
Don't take this personal but "no".

the next time gets easier!
Tom

/ Need "family advice" #27  
SAY , NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO , now you can say no.

/ Need "family advice" #28  
Had a neighbor ask me if I loaned out my tractor, as he had an small concrete block wall to remove in his yard. Of course I said no. He then said no problem, I'll rent a mini-ex for $250 / day to do it. Strange thing is, I'd have been more than happy to do it for him for $200......

/ Need "family advice"
gwdixon said:
Nobody, no matter how well-intentioned, will ever take care of your equipment better than you do. Making deals, setting parameters, even signing contracts to cover damage and repairs is not good enough. A family member may weasel out and, since it is "family", will probably get away with it.

Home insurance only covers your tractor on your property.

Anyway, my retort is always, "I love my tractor as much as my wife. You wouldn't ask to borrow my wife for your personal use now would you."

It usually shuts them up. Unfortunately, I have an attractive wife. But they get the idea when put in those terms.

Funny you said that... I did tell him that I would actually let him take my wife rather than loaning my tractor.... He obviously didn't get the point, and she thankfully didn't hear me.

/ Need "family advice"
Thanks for the good suggestions. I don't want to come across as an *** , but this guy just doesn't get the point. Reflecting back, I don't owe him any debts, and if he does not understand the situation, then maybe I should stop trying to explain reasons for my hesitation and just say no.