Need "family advice"

/ Need "family advice" #41  
Maybe he should take long walk off the mountain.
Maybe he should thought about TP before he sat on the pot.

/ Need "family advice" #42  
BEWARE!! A good friend passed this summer and within weeks, his electrician wanted to borrow his Case backhoe. The wife agreed and the electrician proceeded to wreck the rear tires on it. He replaced them with recaps and wouldn't give the backhoe back till she paid for the tires. It took written proof of ownership and a sheriff to get the hoe back. The hoe is now in her possession, minus 1 rear tire.

/ Need "family advice" #43  
Need help with a family issue.... My cousin keeps asking to borrow my baby 2320 tlb to do a lot of heavy clean up around his house. Every family event we attend, he pushes me to drop off the tractor for an extended period if time. Now, couple of relevant details: I don't borrow things from him and I don't owe him any favors. I did offer to do the work for him but he seemed offended that I'm hesitant to just let him have it... The last time I let family use my trick, it came back with a big dent which no one knew anything about. I don't want to ba selfish, but I don't want any issues later ....
If I were in this situation I would tell him to kiss my big old fat arse. I seriously would and he wouldn't ask again. It's time to get your man parts out of your wife's purse and act like a man. Disclaimer....Your mileage may vary. Welcome to the forum.

/ Need "family advice" #44  
Wow! If these tales don't dissuade you then you deserve to live with whatever damage it will surely come back with. As you know these things are far from indestructible but that's a common misconception given all the strength they have. Good luck!

/ Need "family advice" #45  
To him, my tractor is just a tool... Use it and put it away dirty.... Maybe in one piece.

You have just answered your own question in the above quote. Do your best Nancy Reagan imitation and "just say no".
Fortunately for me, I was a state correction officer for 26+ years. I said "no" a hundred times a day on the job. So it comes easy to tell people in the real world the same thing.
I'll sometimes tell people that I have to come with the machine, but for some reason I always seem to be far too busy running my business or doing projects at my own home to have time for those too cheap to rent or do for themselves.
I had a need for a mini ex this summer. I have a friend who owns one. Guess what? The thought never crossed my mind. I rented one from the local Bobcat dealer, got the job done. Pressure washed it, returned it and paid up. Life isn't that hard sometimes.

/ Need "family advice" #46  
All good strategies! But, seriously... This guy lives on the side of a mountain, so it will not be a small one weekend job. I told him that for the amount of work, a bigger, heavier machine would be best. He did look into rental prices and could not believe how much an extended rental costs. I am sure that our next meeting will get somewhat uncomfortable. What bothers me is that people like him don't take any appreciation in what it takes to have a clean tractor. I keep my 60K truck outside in the winter so that the tractor stays inside nice and warm. To him, my tractor is just a tool... Use it and put it away dirty.... Maybe in one piece.

Tell him you only loan the unit to people who helped you pay for it when you purchased it. Now would also be a good time to stop in at local equipment rentals and pick up some business cards. When he asks hand him a couple of the cards and tell him "I used to use one of these before I purchased a tractor, you may want to give them a call."

/ Need "family advice" #47  
A couple years back, my 706 was on the fritz and i hadn't bought my Kubota yet. A friend of mine saw how ratty looking my property was and offered his brand new JD so I could brush hog. I gladly accepted!

But, it went back to him full of fuel, washed and waxed.

I would / will loan him anything I own. My bother is also included on my loan list. Besides those two people, I can't think of anyone else that I would loan to. These guys are the type that will check fluids, grease, drive responsibly, blow off the dirt and debris, fill the tank, and promptly return.

/ Need "family advice" #48  
I always point everybody that asks to borrow anything to the rental store.

A "out of work cousin" of mine once borrowed my dozer to make some money, trying to help him out I let him have it but after about six weeks of away time I called to tell I needed it and would pick it up, he stated someone had taken it a few weeks ago (this was a AC HD11, not a small thing). He did not call the sherriff or me. I went to visit to see what happened and noticed he had a new truck. To keep peace in family (since his mom is my favorite aunt) I let it go.

I do help neighbors from time to time, but as others have stated, I go with the equipment.
BTW, I respect your patience. I was also raised in the mountains of upper East Tennessee. I have one question. Did you ever considered putting molasses in the fuel tank of that NEW truck?

/ Need "family advice" #49  
What bothers me is that people like him don't take any appreciation in what it takes to have a clean tractor. I keep my 60K truck outside in the winter so that the tractor stays inside nice and warm. To him, my tractor is just a tool... Use it and put it away dirty.... Maybe in one piece.

Sounds as if you are dealing with someone with a sense of entitlement to use your equipment. I would predict that if you lend it to him, and he breaks it, he will blame you in some fashion. In an earlier post the adjective "mooch" was used, which is a pretty good layman's term for this personality type.

The risks of dealing with someone like this are too high. If they don't respect you, they certainly won't respect your machinery, and will blame you when it won't perform to their unrealistic expectations. Add to that using it on the side of a mountain, the possibilities of this ending very badly are unlimited if you let him use it.

Just my humble opinion.

Last edited:
   / Need "family advice"
greasemonkeyok said:
Just my humble opinion. And to head off potential challenges by RoyJackson and TripleR wanting to see the scientific studies upon which I base my opinion, I will submit to a Daubert examination when you submit to a MMPI, and we compare the results.

Good points.... MMPI? Please explain....