Need "family advice"

/ Need "family advice" #51  
OK that was a cheap shot at certain thread bullies who demanded irrefutable scientific evidence when they didn't like my observations in another thread, so I edited my post in this thread.

/ Need "family advice" #52  
.......... He did look into rental prices and could not believe how much an extended rental costs. ........

Hmmmm. Now why is that? Could it be that borrowed equipment gets the cr@p beat out of it? :laughing:

/ Need "family advice" #53  
OK that was a cheap shot at certain thread bullies who demanded irrefutable scientific evidence when they didn't like my observations in another thread, so I edited my post in this thread.
Cheap but true..........:shocked::shocked::shocked:

/ Need "family advice" #54  
Another owner here for just saying "no" to borrow (to anyone). I come with the equipment if I like the person. Had a "good" friend borrow one of my best chainsaws. When I went to get it (after a month), turns out it was used to dig a trench for a sat cable. Borrower stated that it fell off the truck and that is why the blade and chain was full of dirt. Never again.

Last edited:
   / Need "family advice" #55  
I have to agree with all the posts here. I borrowed a old Gray Market tractor from my ex-wifes boy friend. He had bought it and only used it for about 45min. I kept the tractor for 2 mos. During that time I replaced both front tires and battery. They were in need of replacing when I borrowed it. Next time I needed a tractor I bought a new one from Kubota. He died and I bought the tractor from his daughter and left it at my sons house. It needs a lot of work now but will get it running soon. So now I have two small kubotas. My neighbors have wanted to borrow my tractor but I refuse to let it go without me. I have put in two long driveways and leveled one backyard for them. I like operating the tractor and let them relieve me while working but only for a short time. Last time I saw my used Kubota my son was using it as a dozer I explained he needed a track-hoe to do what he was trying to do and shut off the tractor. I refuse to lend out the tractor to anyone without me going along.

/ Need "family advice" #56  
Friend who has a 2.5 acre field asked me what I would charge him to cut it. Being the friend I said just pay for my diesel. Well he gives me more than just enough for the diesel so I felt I would give him a second cutting. During the second cut his neighbor comes out and asks if I could cut his 6-8 ft tall scotch broom field. Doesn't ask if he can hire me or what it would cost and I barely know who he is. I told him the equipment can do it but it puts on lots of wear and tear. His response was it should not take too long. I tell him I would have to be very slow not knowing how much rock or junk is imbedded and would take several hours at a minimum. I was actually waiting to see if he would ask me how much. Finally he says well I will just do it by hand. He clearly wanted it for free.

The reason I tell this is exactly what too many friends/family think. Someone else's equipment has no value and is free to use. Why should "I" spend my money when I can use your equipment for free and any damage is not "my" problem.

/ Need "family advice" #57  
. Why should "I" spend my money when I can use your equipment for free and any damage is not "my" problem.

There's no "I" in "TEAM, but there's "ME" if you switch a couple of letters around. :laughing:

/ Need "family advice" #58  
I guess it has all been said about loaning equipment. A couple of things struck me in the story though. He wants a loan of your tractor for an extended amount of time, he doesn't take care of equipment well, he lives on mountain property (always adds risks), rental prices were more than he would pay and he seemed insulted when you offered to bring the tractor as an operator to help him. That would be enough information for me to make a decision. Use the insurance excuse, I do. I just say your insurance only covers you on your property, true or not, and you can't take the chance with a multi thousand dollar piece of equipment you can't afford to replace.

As an add on, a bunch of you good guys offer to come do the job for someone that wants a loan of your tractor. I've done that and still will for something small. Careful though, next thing you know you are into a multi day project and that type of person ends upset with you because they don't think you did the job the way they wanted. Learned that the hard way.

MarkV

/ Need "family advice" #59  
Another thing no one has mentioned is lawsuits. If you loan your tractor and he hurts of kills himself or someone else, you could face a liability lawsuit since it is your equipment. Frivolous Negligence lawsuits are common and even if you win, it will cost your dearly in legal fees. Even if you go along with the equipment and damage something, you could be out many thousands of $$$ for a free job.
Best is to just explain that due to insurance and legal issues, you cant loan out any equipment and freeloader needs to go rent his own equipment (provide some of the free business cards from rental companies as someone mentioned)

/ Need "family advice" #60  
One other underlying theme that is coming through from the comments is the old military saying, "Today's favors become tomorrow's expectations."

Be careful about what you volunteer to do.