Need "family advice"

/ Need "family advice" #61  
One other underlying theme that is coming through from the comments is the old military saying, "Today's favors become tomorrow's expectations."

Be careful about what you volunteer to do.

Yup, loan it once and there will be more requests. Been there and done that.

/ Need "family advice" #62  
This can go the other way. I have a friend that is always wanting to borrow my tractor. Same story for him. I come with the equipment. Now he saves all his fence work for me, my tractor, and my post hole digger. And I do most of the work. This stuff can snowball in a hurry.

/ Need "family advice" #63  
...Be careful about what you volunteer to do.

Not only do I go with my equipment, the only people I will go to are good neighbors and our Church. The Church is a few miles away and I have to road the backhoe over there, but I don't mind.

Fortunately all of the relatives are too far away for any equipment borrowing. And, I have been blessed with responsible relatives.

/ Need "family advice" #64  
If you do lend your tractor, or any piece of equipment or tools to him, you need to build one of these first. Then when the time is appropriate (you'll know when, trust me) use it! :D

self--kicking-machine.jpg

/ Need "family advice" #65  
If you do lend your tractor, or any piece of equipment or tools to him, you need to build one of these first. Then when the time is appropriate (you'll know when, trust me) use it! :D

That is the best laugh I've had in a while.

/ Need "family advice" #66  
In 1992 I bought a new GMC dually. While at work an acquaintance, not really a friend, asked if he could borrow it to pull his stock car to the races one weekend. Me, being a pushover usually, wanted to help him out but in the end I said I couldn't accommodate him so I said no, but I really thought about it. I asked a friend who knew both of us quite well about this situation, and he said this man just wanted to see if you would do it, but if I would agree he would take it. Obviously you learn as you go and now it would be a, "Get out of here jerk-wad."

I have a brother who is constantly asking to borrow things like a log-splitter, chainsaws, etc. because he says he only needs to use it once or twice. Not just from me but everybody who will accommodate him. He is a moocher, but then this is the same guy who has rental property, a huge gun safe stocked full of fancy guns, 3 brand new 4 wheelers, a new Harley etc. and then says he don't have money to buy the tool.

He has been over to our place once or twice over the last couple years and I never open the pole shed up and never walk him through it because he will give me a, "Can I borrow that." I have a two year old tractor and he has no idea I have it and I am going to keep it that way. I really hate to be that way, but I know his borrowing history and how he treats things. That plus he has a couple good incomes already.

But then I have a brother-in-law who really hates to borrow things and would rather rent the borrow. This is a guy who I would not hesitate letting him use anything because he keeps everything cleaner and in better shape than I do by far. But then, he is one who would never loan anything out either because of his views on others misuse of equipment.

/ Need "family advice" #67  
BTW, I respect your patience. I was also raised in the mountains of upper East Tennessee. I have one question. Did you ever considered putting molasses in the fuel tank of that NEW truck?

I like molasses too much to waste it, anyway, sometimes justice does see the correct path to follow, his mom, my aunt, gifted her part of my grandfathers farm to me in her will and has given me very nice birthday gifts (I was born on her birthday BTW) for the past fews which would have easily paid for a new dozer by now. All is well that ends well. Also, it worked out good on the homefront, it gave me an excuse to go buy a skidsteer and tractor I wanted with no resistance from the boss, I mean wife.