Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    2010 KUBOTA B2320, 2010 KIOTI CK27

Default Need "family advice"

Need help with a family issue.... My cousin keeps asking to borrow my baby 2320 tlb to do a lot of heavy clean up around his house. Every family event we attend, he pushes me to drop off the tractor for an extended period if time. Now, couple of relevant details: I don't borrow things from him and I don't owe him any favors. I did offer to do the work for him but he seemed offended that I'm hesitant to just let him have it... The last time I let family use my trick, it came back with a big dent which no one knew anything about. I don't want to ba selfish, but I don't want any issues later ....

Tractor

Sorry about the spelling, my phone app does not show text until I post the message.

Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles east and right by the big oak tree then to the creek.

Default Re: Need "family advice"

Quote Originally Posted by maximus1277 View Post
    Need help with a family issue.... My cousin keeps asking to borrow my baby 2320 tlb to do a lot of heavy clean up around his house. Every family event we attend, he pushes me to drop off the tractor for an extended period if time. Now, couple of relevant details: I don't borrow things from him and I don't owe him any favors. I did offer to do the work for him but he seemed offended that I'm hesitant to just let him have it... The last time I let family use my trick, it came back with a big dent which no one knew anything about. I don't want to ba selfish, but I don't want any issues later ....
    First - welcome aboard....Now as far as your cousin goes...you have done exactly what I do with neighbors or relatives that want to borrow my tractor...I offer to do the work for them....and I tell them my insurance will not cover me if I let someone else use the tractor...I also tell them the value of the tractor and how bad I would feel if they had to pay for it should something go wrong...It has always worked well for me...I started doing that after I loaned a tractor out once and it never came back...I had to go pick it up and spend about $1K to repair it..>So Lesson learned.....I will loan small tools ...and at times that is the last I see of them...but a tractor is too expensive to loan out...I think you need to stick to your offer...

Quote Originally Posted by maximus1277 View Post
    Sorry about the spelling, my phone app does not show text until I post the message.
    Bob

WORRYING does not take away tomorrow's TROUBLES, it takes away today's PEACE.

NH - TC-29 , FEL, Bush hog, Bush hog brand finishing mower, Post hole digger, 6' Back blade, sub-soiler, Pallet forks, 20KW PTO Generator , 21 hp Murray Mower
    JD -3020 with FEL and a 16 HP. K-Grow Lawn Tractor (bought from K Mart 1994) and runs great !
    Clark 130 EN Mig Welder

Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

Pretty much what Brin said, I don't loan tractors. My brothers and I own tractors jointly, but one owns one of his own and I own several of my own. My sons are part of our farming/maintenance, so they use them, but I simply don't loan tractors to family or friends. I will do the work if feasible, but I or my sons go where our tractors go. Been down that road in my youth and don't do it anymore.
    Thread on helpful tractor abbreviations: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...-acronyms.html

Tractor
    Kubota B3200

My father would always say, Never a lender or a borrower be .
    Wayne

Kubota B3200 with LA504 FEL, pallet forks, B2782 snowblower, 60" brush mower, Gossen Chipper/Shredder
    JD 345 MMM and snowblower

Don't argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level, then beat you up with experience!

Tractor
    Bobcat S185 skid steer - Ferris IS500Z - JD GT235

Just last night I had a friend of mine ask me about renting my Bobcat out to a friend of his. I told him that I come with my machine or it's a no go.
    I guess the easy way out would have been to ask what the rental places ask or more. Machinery & repairs cost far too much to let a cheapskate use your stuff for free. Especially for an extended period. I have too many things that I use my machine around home for to let it go at all.
    Time loves to be wasted. From that waste their is no salvage - Henry Ford

Also - Erskine 73" blower /TSC QA boom pole/ Bradco 48" forks / Grapple bucket/ JLG T350 Boom Lift / 2001 Ford F450 w/Telsta A28D aerial lift / CAM Superline 6x12 dump / (2) Kristi 7x18 enclosed / 2014 Ford F250 Super Cab gasser

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Quote Originally Posted by brin View Post
    First - welcome aboard....Now as far as your cousin goes...you have done exactly what I do with neighbors or relatives that want to borrow my tractor...I offer to do the work for them....and I tell them my insurance will not cover me if I let someone else use the tractor...I also tell them the value of the tractor and how bad I would feel if they had to pay for it should something go wrong...It has always worked well for me...I started doing that after I loaned a tractor out once and it never came back...I had to go pick it up and spend about $1K to repair it..>So Lesson learned.....I will loan small tools ...and at times that is the last I see of them...but a tractor is too expensive to loan out...I think you need to stick to your offer...
    I agree. If the tractor, baler, mower-conditioner, etc go out, they come with an operator for 2 reasons:
    1. If I break it, I know how it broke and I am responsible for it
    2. If something is going to break, I know the tractor better than anyone else and as such, will probably notice that something isn't right first.

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Tractor
    jd 1070

Welcome to the tractor counseling forum !

Tell him you don't lend out anything with a motor, but you will be glad to drop off a shovel when you find a good deal on one at a garage sale. I don't see why you have a problem. Look him in the eye and tell him NO and that you are sick and tired of him asking. So what if he gets angry and shoots himself in the head. I'd call it a blessing...

Get a testosterone patch...

"Well that's all for today; our time is about up. Let's talk some more about this at our next session. That will be $120."

Look at all the money we saved you !
    There is no "I" in team, but there is a "Me" if you want to jumble it up a bit...

Tractor
    NH TN 55, Kubota B2320 & RTV 900, Bad Boy Outlaw 61" ZTR

I agree with the advice offered so far. If he seems to be offended, so be it.

You might want to check your insurance policy if you end up doing the work for him. I would need to check my policy, but I believe that my equipment is covered only while on my farm.

Steve

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by zzvyb6
    Welcome to the tractor counseling forum !

Tell him you don't lend out anything with a motor, but you will be glad to drop off a shovel when you find a good deal on one at a garage sale. I don't see why you have a problem. Look him in the eye and tell him NO and that you are sick and tired of him asking. So what if he gets angry and shoots himself in the head. I'd call it a blessing...

Get a testosterone patch...

"Well that's all for today; our time is about up. Let's talk some more about this at our next session. That will be $120."

Look at all the money we saved you !
    Thanks for the advice..... You are right: Saying NO to family does not come easy for me. Check is in the mail.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast