Tires Industrial tire vs Turf tire

/ Industrial tire vs Turf tire #31  
Just wanted to pull up this old thread and update it for anyone who may stumble across it in the future.

After getting the info here on the Kubota Wholegoods options I went to my dealer and ask the price of a full set of turf tires and rims for my BX2660. I got all four of them for only $320 +tax no shipping cost because he even had them in stock! They were all brand new, still had the blue paint strip on the tires, but looking at the rim lug holes they had obviously been mounted on a tractor before. My guess is these were the exact same tires and rims that was on my tractor when I first purchased several months before and had him to swap out to R4 tires.

Now having had both R4's and Turf's on the same tractor I have the ability to compare them better. While I have mowed an entire season on R4's with absolutely no complaint what so ever on damage to the grass by R4's either wet or dry, I can say that spinning R4's do tear up the grass more than spinning turf's. But in my opinion while normal driving or mowing (not spinning) the R4's do not tear up the grass any more than turf tires. One thing I did notice, the tractor rides much smoother with turf tires than with R4's. The R4 ride is kind of harsh compared to the turfs and I assume that is due to the much heavier, thicker, less flexible sidewalls on the R4 tires. Also the heavier, thicker, less flexible sidewalls is probably why the R4's make the worst snow tire.

Now if we ever get any of the white stuff this year I will know how the turf's work compared to the R4's as I'm going to try both in the snow. I have the turf's on ready to go now!

/ Industrial tire vs Turf tire #32  
I found that the turf tires chain up better when you are using the ladder chains for pavement. They fill out the chains better. One other good feature is that you don't have to worry about a left or right tire like the industrials. The same turf tire works fine on both sides of the tractor.

/ Industrial tire vs Turf tire #33  
Just wanted to pull up this old thread and update it for anyone who may stumble across it in the future.

After getting the info here on the Kubota Wholegoods options I went to my dealer and ask the price of a full set of turf tires and rims for my BX2660. I got all four of them for only $320 +tax no shipping cost because he even had them in stock! They were all brand new, still had the blue paint strip on the tires, but looking at the rim lug holes they had obviously been mounted on a tractor before. My guess is these were the exact same tires and rims that was on my tractor when I first purchased several months before and had him to swap out to R4 tires.

Now having had both R4's and Turf's on the same tractor I have the ability to compare them better. While I have mowed an entire season on R4's with absolutely no complaint what so ever on damage to the grass by R4's either wet or dry, I can say that spinning R4's do tear up the grass more than spinning turf's. But in my opinion while normal driving or mowing (not spinning) the R4's do not tear up the grass any more than turf tires. One thing I did notice, the tractor rides much smoother with turf tires than with R4's. The R4 ride is kind of harsh compared to the turfs and I assume that is due to the much heavier, thicker, less flexible sidewalls on the R4 tires. Also the heavier, thicker, less flexible sidewalls is probably why the R4's make the worst snow tire.

Now if we ever get any of the white stuff this year I will know how the turf's work compared to the R4's as I'm going to try both in the snow. I have the turf's on ready to go now!

Thanks for the update. It will be interesting to see how they compare in the snow.

/ Industrial tire vs Turf tire #34  
I think you just explained correctly why r4 suck in the snow. Its all about the side wall. Makes sense to me now. You know, us frenchmen can be a little slow sometimes!!!

/ Industrial tire vs Turf tire #35  
We got 4-5" of snow/wintery mix yesterday and the BX really impressed me at how well it did. I have R4's. I have a rear blade and I was running forward with the blade running against the cutting edge.

/ Industrial tire vs Turf tire #36  
I think you will find the turfs superior to the R4 in snow for another reason, they have many more tread "valleys" to capture and hold snow. The snow when rolled over more snow, increase traction. At least that is the theory in this thread about siping R4 tires.. I did this on my last tractor, and the one and only test I could make of it. It seemed very much enhanced.. I know it was not an extensive scientific test, but it was the best traction I had ever had with that tractor and those tires.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/snow-removal/193438-cutting-groving-siping-r-4-a.html

James K0UA

/ Industrial tire vs Turf tire #37  
I have turfs on my B2410. When I'm doing snow removal, I find the limiting factor is the weight of the tractor, not the rubber on the tires.

/ Industrial tire vs Turf tire #38  
I have turfs on my B2410. When I'm doing snow removal, I find the limiting factor is the weight of the tractor, not the rubber on the tires.

I agree. I am not sure if any of the different tires perform that much different on these small tractors because they are light.