BX seat safety switch?

/ BX seat safety switch? #1  

Henro

Tractor
Kubota B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini EX
HI,

I just ordered a BX2200 and wonder about the seat safety switch...if it exists...which I guess it does.

Do I understand correctly that on the BX2200, if you raise off the seat the engine will shut down?

To me this would be a major PITA and it certainly is not that way on my B2910. I know I can disable this interlock if it is there...but...

I thought I understood from reading other posts here that this kind of interlock was on the BX1500, but not the BX18/2200.

I would rather NOT disable the interlock. Just curious as to whether it is part of the BX2200 or not.

Might even ask as to why it might be there to begin with...like I said...such an interlock in not present on my B2910...nor would I want it to be...

Henro...in Pgh, PA

/ BX seat safety switch? #2  
I suppose I could re-read the manual to get this right, but here's shooting from the hip.

If you flip the seat forward, you can start the tractor standing beside it. You can flip the seat back (without weight) and it will stay running.

If you are seated upon it, and stand up to dismount, the engine dies, unless you can flip it forward fast enough to engage the other switch.

At least once (don't know the combination), I stood and it did NOT shut down, so there must be a sequence.

Hope this helps a little.

BTW, I saw a post earlier where a tall BX owner bolted a 1x2 steel tubing between his seat and rails to give him some more leg room. Looks good to me as I'm 6'1" and son is about 6'3".

Ron.

/ BX seat safety switch? #3  
Hi Henro,

On my B7800 this happens when the PTO is engaged. I've had the machine 2 weeks now. I had it parked in front of my barn with the tiller attached. It was idling with the tiller running when I hopped off to get a better "listen" to what was going on. I was surprised when it immediately shut down! Next try I flipped the seat forward and it kept running.

/ BX seat safety switch? #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Do I understand correctly that on the BX2200, if you raise off the seat the engine will shut down?)</font>

Mine bought in March does not, even with the PTO engaged. My old Wheel Horse did and you are right, it was a major PITA! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif Even shifting my back sides for a little "body english" made the thing cut out. I don't miss that at all! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ BX seat safety switch? #5  
The BX220 dows NOT have this "feature" Thank goodness. The BX1500, however, does. First thing I'd do is kill that....

/ BX seat safety switch? #6  
Unless my dealer disconnected a switch from my 2200 I do not have a kill switch connected to the seat. There is both good and bad in that....you just have to be more careful in getting on and off the machine to make sure nothing is engaged and that you aren't going to loose a foot to the mmm or a hand to the snowblower.

/ BX seat safety switch?
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the info. Glad to hear that PITA safety switch concern is a non issue.

The sixteen page booklet on the BX series, on the page in the back listing all the good features of the BX [not the 1500, the series in general brags about the "Safety Start System." I think they think this is a positive!

Here is the quote, which is accompanied with a couple photos, including one of the switch.

"A feature which only alllows the engine to start after you're seated, the parking brake is on, the PTO is in neutral and th neutral lock is on. Plus, if you leave your seat for any reason, the engine will automatically shut down."

I feel better now...have to see if I can borrow a BX2200 manual from the dealer while I am waiting for the tractor to come in...

/ BX seat safety switch? #8  
My BX22 bought in April does not have any safty switch in the seat. Pto's will run while off the tractor.

Dave...

/ BX seat safety switch? #9  
Henro,

I have the switches on my 1500 and the dealer said all new model BX tractors will have the same system. You can start it with out being on the seat. The hi-low lever must be in neutral as there is no clutch to disengage the drive. The pto must must be in neutral too. The seat switch will kill the engine if you get off with the hi-lo in gear or the pto in gear. If you put these two in neutral you can however get off with the engine running, the drive in neutral and do it with the parking brake off !!!! The seat tipped up is for running the rear pto for brush chipper, gerarators and such.

/ BX seat safety switch? #10  
Hello Henro,

The question begs to be asked, two tractors? Is an L class the next, so you'll have 3? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Are you thinking of selling the 2910? Why the 2200?

Thanks,

Frank D.