Slight fluid leak at front axle joint.

/ Slight fluid leak at front axle joint. #1  

Gasifier

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 310J, Kubota L4310
Hey guys. I own a L3710 with Kubota loader and Woods backhoe. About 1200 hours on the machine now. Works great. I have a slight fluid leak at the right side of tractor(if sitting on the tractor) on the front axle. Right where the axle ends there are four bolts that connect it up to the wheel assembly. (For lack of better term.) I recently tightened these bolts up and topped off the fluid with gear oil. Is it a common thing to leak? I was told by a gentlemen at a Kubota dealership that there is one seal in this joint and that this may be bad. But he also said sometimes the bolts will loosen up with a lot of loader use. So I tightened them up and topped it off. Any experience with this. Suggestions? Thanks for your time.

/ Slight fluid leak at front axle joint. #2  
Can't tell from your post if tightening up the bolts fixed the leak, had no effect, or you don't know yet.
There have been many posts on front axle leaks but they are are in the pivot joint or the seals just inside the wheels. I can't recall one leaking where yours does.
Some have been cured or at least slowed by using gear oil in the front axle instead of hydro oil.

/ Slight fluid leak at front axle joint. #3  
Take a picture please.

I just replaced the seals on my axle where the front wheel pivots.

/ Slight fluid leak at front axle joint.
I will get a picture posted so you can see where I am talking about. I need to get to know the names for the parts on my tractor!:irked: :laughing:

/ Slight fluid leak at front axle joint. #5  
those wheel seals are HORRIBLE.... I've replaced them twice on the LEFT (driver if'n it was a car).

/ Slight fluid leak at front axle joint. #6  
Mine was leaking and I replace the axle with 90/120 wgt. I had udt in there and that is pretty thin. Helped mine and no more leak.

/ Slight fluid leak at front axle joint.
Here is a picture of the joint where the leak is. If I can post it! If you look real close you can actually see the spot on the 6x6 it is resting on. The main joint, I am not sure what it is called. There are four bolts that hold it together. I have tightened them and topped the level off with the gear oil and it seems to be better. But, a very slight leak still. Only a few drops though after it has sat there for two days like this. I am waiting for my front tires to be finished. I decided to put tubes in them because of problems with flat tires. I must have a slow leak in one of the tires so I decided to stop this from happening now before the snow hits. So I am thinking the seal must be shot in that joint. I am surprised at this though. There is only about 1200 hours on the machine. I guess at some point when I do not need it for a while I will replace both seals up front at that location.

DSCF2446.jpg

/ Slight fluid leak at front axle joint. #8  
Gasifier,

I see what appears to be oil coming from the plug also?? The four bolts you are refering to has an o-ring behind it. It also looks like the seals where it pivots are leaking also. Order the o-ring for the spot with forur bolts, the o-ring for the axle case (where the 8 bolts are) and the pivot seal and you should be good to go after an afternoon of work. Oh, and the gasket for the plug that looks like it is seeping.
I just did my pivot seals and all is well.

/ Slight fluid leak at front axle joint. #9  
Gasifier,

Sooner or later you'll be interested in threads like this one.

/ Slight fluid leak at front axle joint. #10  
Gasifier,

Sooner or later you'll be interested in threads like this one.

Great diagram and discriptoion there.
The pivot joint looks like the most suspicious one to me. But do them all like Deano says.