B 26 backhoe running slower and slower

/ B 26 backhoe running slower and slower #21  
Yeah, I realize why they said what they said. But I also stated in my post that in my experience, the SUDT, which is synthetic, also handles the heat better than UDT. The benefits of synthetic are seen in BOTH extreme heat & extreme cold. I run synthetic in all of my equipment and vehicles, and have operated them from -30* to 108* F.

I also mentioned that the UDT seems to overheat, as evidenced by the smell and the decrease in performance, whereas the SUDT doesn't seem to overheat or lose performance.

SUDT is most definitely NOT synthetic. This has been discussed numerous times over many years.

/ B 26 backhoe running slower and slower #22  
Isn't the new SUDT2 finally a synthetic?It's all our local dealer has had in stock since last year.Which has bandit67 been using?

/ B 26 backhoe running slower and slower #23  
Isn't the new SUDT2 finally a synthetic?It's all our local dealer has had in stock since last year.Which has bandit67 been using?

Would love to know with certainty. I am trying to find where I read that it has "synthetic properties".....whatever that means!
Not that it matters to me. I will continue using it either way!:confused2:

/ B 26 backhoe running slower and slower #24  
They are very vague - purposely. The label states "superior synthetic performance", but it does not say that it is a synthetic oil anywhere. In fact, if you look up the MSDS for the product, it is labeled as a petroleum distillate product and makes no reference anywhere to synthetic formulas or properties.

/ B 26 backhoe running slower and slower #25  
My backhoe seems to be getting slower and slower and also lacking the power it had when I got it. The filters were changed at 50 hours and now it has about 220. Anyone have this problem and what did you do to fix it. I am going to go get some hydraulic filters tomorrow and change them to see if that helps. The hydrastatic drive works as it should and also the FEL seems to work OK, just the backhoe seems to be slow and it seems that when the oil gets hot, it works even slower. Relief valve may be in need of adjustment on the hoe but I dont know if there is a separate one for it from the FEL or not.

I think a flow meter and pressure test is in order to reaffirm the tractors hyd's is putting out the specified flow and pressure.

If the tractor hyd is working correctly, then there is something giving you the perception that the BH is slower than new .

If the BH valve is rated for the tractor flow, maybe the relief valve is not set right. It should be the same as tractor or FEL relief valve.

BH hyd components may just be worn, causing a loss of speed and power.

Is engine rpm up to max or recommend speed for BH operation.

If you install a hyd gage where you can see it while operating the BH, it will help you trouble shoot and analyze the hyd system.

Last edited:
   / B 26 backhoe running slower and slower #26  
I also had a problem with the backhoe speed on my B26. My problem was only with one control stick.
The sticks each control two valves and have one pivot point. This pivot point is bolted to the top of one of the valves. Metric but around a 10/32 size.
My problem was one bolt broke and the other loosened up. Because it happened slowly I did not notice that I had a lot of play in the stick. Eventually I was not able to open the valves all the way and it appeared that the backhoe was slowing. But only on one control stick.
I got real lucky and was able to back out the broken screw without removing the whole valve. Real lucky. I was grinning big time.

/ B 26 backhoe running slower and slower #27  

Sorry, I forgot there are now 3 different versions - UDT, SUDT, SUDT2.

It's the SUDT2 I've been using. It says on the jug "Superior Synthetic Performance". That tells me that it is a synthetic - they are not allowed to claim synthetic or synthetic performance if it is not synthetic. If they claimed "synthetic-like performance", then maybe I'd believe it was not synthetic. The fact that they label the oil as being "Superior Synthetic Performance" leads me to believe that they are claiming the SUDT2, as a synthetic, performs better than non-synthetic oil.

The only caveat to the SUDT2 could be that it MAY be a Group 3 synthetic base stock, which is a severly hydrocracked regular oil that can be called synthetic due to the hydrocracking and sythetic additives. I prefer true synthetic Group 4 or 5 base stocks, but in hydro oils, it seems even more difficult to find those.

So, I believe the SUDT2 is what is considered to be a synthetic, AND, personal experience has shown me that it is superior to UDT in overall performance, and does quiet down the HST significantly.

I'm going to do a bit more research to see what more I can find out about SUDT2, and also see if I can find any Group 4 or 5 base stock Hydro oils out there before I get to my 50 hour service.

/ B 26 backhoe running slower and slower #28  
Bandit,

Not to get too off topic, and sorry if this is hijacking the thread, but... I have a B2630 and when I read that you made the switch to Super with the 3030 (same machine) it got my attention. I've been thinking I'd make the switch to Super myself just to see if it made a difference in the hydro whine. In the big scheme of things it's really not that much money, so I figured what the heck. Just curious if you noticed a difference in your hydro noise when you switched?

/ B 26 backhoe running slower and slower #29  
So, I believe the SUDT2 is what is considered to be a synthetic, AND, personal experience has shown me that it is superior to UDT in overall performance, and does quiet down the HST significantly.

Yes - see above.

/ B 26 backhoe running slower and slower
Well I have only 220 hours on the way to the 400 hours oil change. May give the synthetic a shot if I can find it. May have to use something other than SUDT2 if dealer doesnt carry it.
Still havent had a chance to check out the working of it since I changed the filters