B 26 backhoe running slower and slower

/ B 26 backhoe running slower and slower #51  
Well I finally got off my duff and did a little checking with the backhoe. Went over to back pasture and tried the hoe. Man did they screw up the operation on the hoe. I worked at it for about 10 minutes and gave up. In order to dig, you had to push one lever forward and pull back on the other which I didnt like at all. The way it was set up, you pulled both levers for dipper and boom toward you to raise and away from you to lower. I came back to the shop and put the hoses back the way they were. While in there I found 4 RV on the controls that were set by allen head screw on top. No shims required at this point. On my Yanmar, screwing the allen head in increased the pressure on the FEL so while I had the cap off, I turned them all clockwise about 1/2 round. Hoe seemed weaker than it was before. Maybe I went the wrong way. Any suggestions are appreciated
Anyone know how to set these on a B26. I didnt want to move it too much without a pressure gauge attached. I need to take a photo of the control console I guess so maybe someone can advise of the set process.

My B26 is set up from the factory, and the way it works is if you pull both levers towards you, the boom raises and comes towards you and the dipper pulls in towards you. So if you're trying to dig, lets say a 6" deep trench, all you have to do is extend both arms all the way out, put the bucket in the ground a few inches and pull both levers towards you. Can't get easier than that

/ B 26 backhoe running slower and slower
My B26 is set up from the factory, and the way it works is if you pull both levers towards you, the boom raises and comes towards you and the dipper pulls in towards you. So if you're trying to dig, lets say a 6" deep trench, all you have to do is extend both arms all the way out, put the bucket in the ground a few inches and pull both levers towards you. Can't get easier than that

That was the way mine worked till the Kubota guy changed it. After they "fixed it" you had to pull one lever and push the other. I tried to work it that way but just couldnt get the hang of it< went back to the shop, pulled the covers and put the lines back the way they were. I have to get an engine oil filter and I will for sure let the Kubota dealer know how he screwed up. Still dont know what causes the slow operation. Control valve joystick is all tight; no loose bolts. Got to get my pressure gauge and fittings and check the relief settings.
Carl, got any idea on those RV settings and how to set up to adjust them?

/ B 26 backhoe running slower and slower #53  
If the work port reliefs are set higher than system pressure, then you need an aux power source with higher pressure (hand porto power with guage works for me)

/ B 26 backhoe running slower and slower #54  
While in there I found 4 RV on the controls that were set by allen head screw on top.

Sounds like you found only work-port shock-RVs, and adjustable ones at that. Mine
have all been pre-set and non-adjustable.

So, to be sure, you found no RV at either end of the valve stack? I thought I
had one on the B21, but maybe my memory is faulty.

You are correct that the RV settings are increased by turning the adjuster in,
which gives the spring more pre-load. It will be more difficult to check those
settings, as noted by WDCHYD. A failed one could certainly cause problems.

/ B 26 backhoe running slower and slower #55  
Gary Fowler said:
That was the way mine worked till the Kubota guy changed it. After they "fixed it" you had to pull one lever and push the other. I tried to work it that way but just couldnt get the hang of it< went back to the shop, pulled the covers and put the lines back the way they were. I have to get an engine oil filter and I will for sure let the Kubota dealer know how he screwed up. Still dont know what causes the slow operation. Control valve joystick is all tight; no loose bolts. Got to get my pressure gauge and fittings and check the relief settings.
Carl, got any idea on those RV settings and how to set up to adjust them?

Interesting, so the Kubota dealer set them backwards? Anyway I really wish I lived near you so we could do a one on one comparison of the two BH's. If there is ANYTHING I can do, as far as comparing the two machines, don't hesitate to ask. I don't know anything about the RV settings, but as I said, if you need me to do a comparison, just tell me what to do.

/ B 26 backhoe running slower and slower #56  

Yea that is the way mine operates also.

Mine operated that way till Kubota techs got on it. It now operates that way again after I changed the lines back the way they were. I bought the little tractor 3rd hand and the guy I bought it from told me the original owner had switched some hoses to make it work like a Case?? I think he said which he was used to running. I have no idea what a Case does as this it the only back hoe I have ever been on.
Any way I couldnt tell if it was operating slower or less power or not with the controls all screwed up. I didnt get a chance to go back to my digging spot after switching the lines. Maybe tomorrow, but I could tell that it sounded like the tractor relieve valve was opening when I was trying to dig with it. At least something to my right and toward the center of the tractor seemed to make a noise. I think I may have to find the tractor relief valve and do some adjusting to it. I need those pressure gauges on that , I dont want to blow up my pump and I think I will put the little RV under the joystick back where they were also. Should be easy enough as I turned them all 180 degrees.

Interesting, so the Kubota dealer set them backwards? Anyway I really wish I lived near you so we could do a one on one comparison of the two BH's. If there is ANYTHING I can do, as far as comparing the two machines, don't hesitate to ask. I don't know anything about the RV settings, but as I said, if you need me to do a comparison, just tell me what to do.
Thanks, I will sure let you know if I need to check out other functions.

/ B 26 backhoe running slower and slower #59  
Mine operated that way till Kubota techs got on it. It now operates that way again after I changed the lines back the way they were. I bought the little tractor 3rd hand and the guy I bought it from told me the original owner had switched some hoses to make it work like a Case?? I think he said which he was used to running. I have no idea what a Case does as this it the only back hoe I have ever been on.
Any way I couldnt tell if it was operating slower or less power or not with the controls all screwed up. I didnt get a chance to go back to my digging spot after switching the lines. Maybe tomorrow, but I could tell that it sounded like the tractor relieve valve was opening when I was trying to dig with it. At least something to my right and toward the center of the tractor seemed to make a noise. I think I may have to find the tractor relief valve and do some adjusting to it. I need those pressure gauges on that , I dont want to blow up my pump and I think I will put the little RV under the joystick back where they were also. Should be easy enough as I turned them all 180 degrees.

Gary, remember, you only need to mess with the relief valve that is relieving early, and only if it IS relieving early. I'd keep my wrenches away from all others, and I'd turn the ones you messed with right back to where they were since you said they didn't help/made it worse.

/ B 26 backhoe running slower and slower #60  
Make up a hyd test gage using these pictures as an example. Should cost about $30.

Set your pressure equal to or above tractor pressure.

Attachments

• 3000 psi hyd test gage set.jpg
    3000 psi hyd test gage set.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 182
  • 3000 psi hyd test gage set1.jpg
    3000 psi hyd test gage set1.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 112