Tractor
    BX2230

Default BX2230 Drill Boom won't return

Just drilling a hole in soft sand with a L7200JR Junior Tractor Post Hole Digger on my BX2230. Everything was working well when suddenly the boom would not return and kept trying to go deeper. Shut off drill rotation in order to stop drill attempting further decent. Boom will not return but everything else on tractor seems to work. Any suggestions?

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

Default Re: BX2230 Drill Boom won't return

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX25

It'd be nice if the PHD had a hole in the shaft so you could rotate it with a big cheater bar, but a big pipe wrench would probably do the trick too. The time I got mine stuck I wound up wiggling it back and forth with the tractor itself and attempting to lift as I went. Took me a while but I did get it. (Mine caught on an old tree root and just spun right into the ground!) That's when I looked around and wondered why there was no reverse on the PTO too!

Tractor
    Kubota BX24

just shift the pto selector to MMM only and then use a monkey wrench to turn the shaft the other way for every turn you make, lift the 3 pt little by little till its out.

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

Next time dont let the drill auger in, lift it out to clear the debris and then drop it back in the hole. Augering in a post hole digger is a common error for first time users. A few times having to "unscrew" the auger will make you a lot more cautious and more likely to clear the auger much more than necessary. Of course this still doesnt keep the auger from haning up on tree roots or rocks.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Tractor
    Kubota BX24

Always be prepared to turn it off!! Happened a couple of times to me...unscrew it is the way to go!
    Deano
    2006 BX24, 6' Modern Implements rake, Woods RB60 rear blade, Wallenstein thumb, Bro-Tek rear skid plate, home made front skid plate, W.R. Long flat tooth bar, 4' finishing mower (TPH), 4' box blade, post hole digger, New style seat!!!!!, Agri-Fab drop spreader.

Tractor
    BX2230

Thanks for all the replies. Ended up unpinning the auger from the unit in order to be able to get the tractor off of the spot. Pulled the auger out of the sand with my 4x4 pick up truck. Will be much more careful digging holes in the future.