BX22 Apart for New HST-What Else Should I service?

/ BX22 Apart for New HST-What Else Should I service? #1  

bkane

Got the transaxle apart to replace a failed HST and thought I would ask what you guys thought I should be doing as preventive maintenence while apart. It has 522 hours on it. DO the propeller shaft joints need service? u-joints?

Thanks for any input!

Brian

/ BX22 Apart for New HST-What Else Should I service? #3  
Got the transaxle apart to replace a failed HST and thought I would ask what you guys thought I should be doing as preventive maintenence while apart. It has 522 hours on it. DO the propeller shaft joints need service? u-joints?

Thanks for any input!

Brian

Just curious...What happened at that many hours?...Seems very young for an HST failure.

/ BX22 Apart for New HST-What Else Should I service?
Just curious...What happened at that many hours?...Seems very young for an HST failure.

One piston in the pump motor wore out the barrel bore. All service was done on time and not abused. I saw a few other posts on this same failure. I think Kubota has some limited faulty parts issues here where maybe the metal wasn't hard enough. Otherwise why would just one fail? I'll post pics tomorrow and you'll see.

Here's the pics......the one piston looks like it's out of the bore but it's in just like the others. That's how worn the bore is. I saw no other damage. I'm inclined to replace just the pump & motor rather than the whole HST. Any thoughts? photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPG

/ BX22 Apart for New HST-What Else Should I service? #6  
If that's all that is wrong, why not save a lot of cash. 1518ish for the ready to bolt on pump is not that bad. Messicks even shows one in stock. Id just make sure you flush out the hydro real good to make sure no metal particulates are list hiding in it.

If that's all that is wrong, why not save a lot of cash. 1518ish for the ready to bolt on pump is not that bad. Messicks even shows one in stock. Id just make sure you flush out the hydro real good to make sure no metal particulates are list hiding in it.

That's what I did. Drives like a new machine. There's really no way to flush. I cleaned the strainer and installed a new filter. I will do a fluid and filter change after a few hours running.

/ BX22 Apart for New HST-What Else Should I service? #8  
Thanks for the update! Great to hear you are back up and running!

/ BX22 Apart for New HST-What Else Should I service? #9  
That's what I did. Drives like a new machine. There's really no way to flush. I cleaned the strainer and installed a new filter. I will do a fluid and filter change after a few hours running.
Hey bkane and others :)

I have a 2004 BX22 Kubota that I bought used with 600hrs on it. I was very excited to use it for the first time (and stupid) even after noticing a hydraulic leak from the backhoe hose. After mowing with it I got it to the trailer and it did not want to go forward or backwards but you could hear the HST pump wanting to work. I winched it up on the trailer, fixed the hydraulic line and put fresh hydraulic fluid in. I have probably put 30 hours on it since then but I have noticed it does not want to pull even the slightest of hills all that well. A few times I've actually had to pull it out backwards out of the blackberry bushes because the tractor was not seeming to transfer the power from the transmission to the wheels. I have noticed in the mornings it pulls the little hill better probably because of the viscosity of the oil being thicker.

So last week while mowing the grass and going up the lil hill the transmission made a bunch of noises and then started gushing fluid out of the bottom. If you look at the attached pics that's what I saw underneath it.

I believe the leftover pieces are from the pump off the HST? Learning about them since then, I think that is a pump piston as well as the spring that goes inside of ii, with a piece of casing lol...

I've priced a new HST from the dealership of $2,100 and $1,000 for labor....no way I'm paying it!

I called Hydrogear who apparently makes the HST for Kubota, but I cannot get a price from them until I get the actual part number that is stamped on the unit and not Kubota's part number of K2561-14002. Hydrogear says there is no way for them to cross reference it...

Does anybody out there know what the actual factory part number of this HST?

Much appreciated!!!

Attachments

• 20211019_181400.jpg
    20211019_181400.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 92
Last edited:
   / BX22 Apart for New HST-What Else Should I service? #10  
SAUER DANFOSS DAIKIN: SST210A-0451 ---- 10-AM-74538