Snow Kubota front snow blade suggestions

/ Kubota front snow blade suggestions #31  
Paul- I was looking at your latest posts this morning with my coffee, and I am very interested in hearing how you prepare and paint your metal work- the front blade frame you fabbed got me thinking. I suppose you pressure wash, but what sort of primer do you use? Your work seems to hold up really well!

/ Kubota front snow blade suggestions #32  
Paul- I was looking at your latest posts this morning with my coffee, and I am very interested in hearing how you prepare and paint your metal work- the front blade frame you fabbed got me thinking. I suppose you pressure wash, but what sort of primer do you use? Your work seems to hold up really well!

Varmint is that question directed at me? Ah heck ill answer it anyway :laughing:

I have many methods of refinishing my projects and none of them include powder coating. I hate that stuff :mad:

In the case of this blade after I stripped it down it was pressure washed then each piece was sand blasted. After the Sand blasting I decided to use a two part epoxy primer on the metal. Great stuff to fight off corrosion. After the primer was sprayed I went over it with three coats of Kubota orange acrylic enamel paint. It's held up well but if I see a place where it's been chipped by a rock of a hit I'll touch it up and that keeps it fresh looking all the time.

Now when it comes to my restorations I use a different method. For that kind of work I bead blast everything, use high build primer, hand sand everything then use the best quality base / clear paint I can find. After the clear is applied I wait 24 hours then wet sand everything again and using buffing compounds I buff everything to a perfect finish then wax.

Here's an article on a pressure blaster I built and some examples of the finish work :D

Building the Brutal Blaster

Dream1.jpg

dawing2.jpg

Last edited:
   / Kubota front snow blade suggestions #33  
Thanks, and yes, you are the "Paul" being asked. Two part epoxy primer?- I will have to check that out. Sounds like a good way to protect metal. Your bike and trailer look beautiful, as does the Honda Super Hawk (?)!

/ Kubota front snow blade suggestions #34  
Thanks, and yes, you are the "Paul" being asked. Two part epoxy primer?- I will have to check that out. Sounds like a good way to protect metal. Your bike and trailer look beautiful, as does the Honda Super Hawk (?)!

Thanks. I painted the trailer candy apple red to match the bike. It's a Tri stage paint and very nice in person. Your close on the other bike but its a 1965 305 Dream. I restored that a few years ago and that one is painted base/clear. The two part epoxy is great stuff but once its mixed it has a short shelf life so my advise is to use it as soon as you mix it but its great durable stuff.
Here's a vid on the 1965 Dream. You'll see in the video how I painted it plus my paint guns and suite that I wear to paint.

Rebirth of a Dream - YouTube

/ Kubota front snow blade suggestions #35  
I have bad arthritis in my neck and can't turn my head easily, so going backwards is a non starter for me. The front blower is nice, but really expensive, somewhere in the 6000 dollar range after all the extra equipment is added. That's what I'd like but way over my budget. Actually, I can take the teeth off my bucket, but does a bucket work on long straightaways? I understand a "pusher bucket" but mine is plain jane.

I use the back blade moving forward. Still works good on both dirt drive and black top.