Snow Kubota front snow blade suggestions

/ Kubota front snow blade suggestions #1  

daugen

Super Star Member
Tractor
in between now
My local dealer has suggested a seven foot WR Long snow blade, for a price around 2300 which includes shipping and all the connections. FBH84 This is also about the same price Everything Attachments shows, so I know it's in the right range.
It's the lighter duty one, I'm pushing snow only, unlikely will push much gravel, though possible. Power angle, and I already have the third front connector.
I can find very few other options out there, which surprised me. Meyers makes one, big bucks, likely very HD.
I'm considering this for a long farm macadam driveway, almost 3/4 mile since there is a front end and a back end section. Last time I plowed snow with a blade was as a kid with a John Deere B and a manually pumped hydraulic lift. Like to forget that
experience of pumping my arm off.

I have a cab 5740 and the dealer suggested a seven footer to clear the rear tires on tilt. It all makes sense to me, the price seems reasonable, but wonder if others have found different solutions. I already have a Long grapple bucket, with big teeth on it, so that isn't going to help me with snow for sure. thanks. Drew

/ Kubota front snow blade suggestions #2  
A possibly cheaper option would be a rear blade, you can either drag it or turn the blade around and push backwards if you don't like driving through the snow first. That also has other uses in the summer. I like having the FEL available, but if you can't take your teeth off I guess it's not too useful. Not sure how much more it would cost, but front blowers are nice. You might be able to run a hydraulic motor with your size tractor, and not have to do the big driveshaft/gearbox thing.

/ Kubota front snow blade suggestions
I have bad arthritis in my neck and can't turn my head easily, so going backwards is a non starter for me. The front blower is nice, but really expensive, somewhere in the 6000 dollar range after all the extra equipment is added. That's what I'd like but way over my budget. Actually, I can take the teeth off my bucket, but does a bucket work on long straightaways? I understand a "pusher bucket" but mine is plain jane.

/ Kubota front snow blade suggestions #4  
I put a Curtis 7' plow with skid steer attachment on the loader of my L3540. I agree with you that a rear blade is a pain to use. I tried it for one winter and bought a front mount plow half way through the winter. A blower is also a non starter for me as I am clearing a stone road and all a blower does is throw stones and break shear pins. I would suggest at least an 8 foot blade for your tractor.

/ Kubota front snow blade suggestions #5  
100_0818.jpgI have a 8ft .converted truck plow,8ft.,I wouldn't want any smaller on my L4240.Also use a seven ft.rear blade.I think Curtis makes FEL mounted plows.

/ Kubota front snow blade suggestions #6  
I use a 7.5' Meyer on my MX4700. It has the SSQA mount and power angle. I can use the curl/dump to change the 'cut' angle of the blade and the float feature of the FEL to follow the contours. The power angle is hooked up to a rear remote for me. Wouldn't want any smaller. It is good to keep it as close coupled to the loader mount as possible. I keep about 1200lbs of weight on the 3pt when plowing.

/ Kubota front snow blade suggestions #7  
I ran across a post on a different forum -- here's a link to the photo of a plastic-blade (but HD metal brackets). http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/4shorts/Rear LED light bar/re11.jpg

I like this mounting -- it's close to the loader frame instead of sticking out a ways. He posted a video with more details.

I was wondering if a person could buy a 3-pt QA adapter and use a 3pt rear blade, but have it out in front (either use the back of the blade or turn the blade so that it faces forward). Would that work?

/ Kubota front snow blade suggestions #8  
I was wondering if a person could buy a 3-pt QA adapter and use a 3pt rear blade, but have it out in front (either use the back of the blade or turn the blade so that it faces forward). Would that work?
You realy should have trip springs on a snow plow for when you hit something solid.
With that setup you would have no trip spring protection.

/ Kubota front snow blade suggestions #9  
I put a skid steer QA plate on a 9' Western truck plow for the front of my tractor.
I have around 400 to $500 invested in this plow.

Attachments

• HPIM1027.JPG
    HPIM1027.JPG
    163.9 KB · Views: 570
   / Kubota front snow blade suggestions #10  
Actually, I can take the teeth off my bucket, but does a bucket work on long straightaways? I understand a "pusher bucket" but mine is plain jane.
There's pros and cons to using a bucket. With a plow and a lot of snow, eventually you run out of places to push it and sometimes you damage things like fences and gate posts. With a bucket at least you can scoop it up and carry it out of the way. But for that long a straightaway you'll have to stop a fair bit and move the pile you've created off to the side. Time consuming but doable. Since you own a bucket, I'd try that for one season and see how it goes. The price is right.