BH77 - has anyone considered converting mechanical thumb to hydraulic?

/ BH77 - has anyone considered converting mechanical thumb to hydraulic? #111  
That's more or less what I do. I'm curious, and will have to look, but wonder if the thumb could be pushed out further with a hydraulic arm than with the fixed arm? One of the problems I have is grabbing smaller logs where it can be difficult to grab them without the bucket catching dirt. If the thumb could be pushed out further to meet the bucket (well, log actually) that would help - so probably not as much of having them move in tandem as much as getting a little further thumb grab. I think that would take some study - to get the right length hydraulic piston to get the thumb to close up well, yet extend out as far as possible.

Last edited:
   / BH77 - has anyone considered converting mechanical thumb to hydraulic? #112  
I think the geometry of the factory kits stays the same and has roughly the same range of motion. Without knowing the size and stroke of the piston that will be used, there isn't much way of figuring it.

/ BH77 - has anyone considered converting mechanical thumb to hydraulic? #113  
Yeah, I can see how having the bucket and thumb move at the same time would be nice.
Moving logs around would have been extra nice being able to do it that way. But I suppose if only one at a time were
able to move, it would just be a little more work. Not too much of a big deal.

It is a big deal for me. May not be for some others. I have had it both ways.

I move rocks and logs, and my hyd thumb setup has more than 150 hours on it. So I prefer a "true grapple" setup,
where both thumb and bkt can move at the same time and the one with least resistance moves. If I
lock my thumb and try to grasp a heavy rock using only the bkt curl up against the stationary thumb, the curl
forces often pull the tractor rather than grab the rock. With logs, it moves the log before I grasp it.

I used a single parallel diverter spool valve tied to the base of the bkt curl cyl to achieve this:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/125912-custom-hydraulic-backhoe-thumb.html

A manual spool valve can be feathered to do this, but the usual 2-spool solenoid diverter can not.
By "feathered", I mean that you can send pressure to both curl and thumb by partially opening the
upstream curl valve while opening the downstream manual thumb valve simultaneously.

/ BH77 - has anyone considered converting mechanical thumb to hydraulic? #114  
..... I think that would take some study - to get the right length hydraulic piston to get the thumb to close up well, yet extend out as far as possible.

Since you already have a mechanical thumb, it shouldn't take more than a minute with a tape measure to figure out the required length.
With the thumb fully retracted, measure pin to pin for the closed cyl length. Disconnect your mechanical linkage and move the thumb out as far as you can prior to the body of the yet to be purchased cyl contacts the stick and measure the pin distance again. Now you have your extended length.

It took me longer to type this than it did to measure mine

My BH77 perfectly fit a standard length cyl and gave me more travel than the factory mechanical link

/ BH77 - has anyone considered converting mechanical thumb to hydraulic? #115  
Duplicate post deleted

/ BH77 - has anyone considered converting mechanical thumb to hydraulic? #116  
My BH77 perfectly fit a standard length cyl and gave me more travel than the factory mechanical link

Have you already done this upgrade? If so, would please provide more details? Which cylinder did you use, did you use a diverter or a separate valve? Foot switch or?

Thanks much,

bumper

/ BH77 - has anyone considered converting mechanical thumb to hydraulic? #117  
   / BH77 - has anyone considered converting mechanical thumb to hydraulic? #118  
   / BH77 - has anyone considered converting mechanical thumb to hydraulic? #119  
I'm a hydraulic know-not-much outside of knowing how to spell hydraulic.

Could I use a 1 1/2 bore cylinder instead of a 2 inch?

I have a BH76 on my B3030 with two optional rear remotes, one will be used for the thumb.

There is a potential problem going with a smaller cylinder. When the bucket curls up against the thumb the mechanical force tends to move the thumb's cylinder, this in turn can generate high pressure within the thumb cylinder and downstream that can exceed the working pressure of the tractor, potentially causing damage. The amount of this pressure is based on both the ratio of bucket curl cylinder to thumb cylinder piston size - the smaller thumb cylinder will generate greater pressure, and any mechanical linkage advantage between the bucket curl and thumb - haven't looked to figure that part out. But, the take home is that the smaller thumb cylinder may or may not work. However, going to a smaller cylinder does potentially move things in the wrong direction considering that a 2" cylinder has been shown to work.

If there is over pressure, and the thumb controlling valve is closed, any damage should be limited to thumb cylinder and associated hose and valve, if the valve is open, then the tractor's relief valve should open and dump the excess pressure . . . this is all a WAG on my part, as I too don't know that much about hydraulics.

bumper

/ BH77 - has anyone considered converting mechanical thumb to hydraulic? #120  
Aside from what bumperm said, I went with the 2" cyl primarily for fitment reasons. I knew what retracted and extended lengths I had to work with. The other main factor was the mounting pins of the mechanical are 1" and I didn't want to have to modify them.

From the Princess Auto catalog I was looking at, 1" pins automatically put me at a 2" cyl as the 1.5" used 3/4" pins and the 2.5" cyl used 1 1/8". The mounting boss on the cyl base was the right width but I had to turn it 90° for port clearance and narrow the rod end. It has about 1/4" of travel left at full retraction when the thumb contacts the body of the cyl. I don't think I could have ordered it any closer.

It is much also closer to the 2.5" bucket cyl to lessen the overpowering chances and also has a much larger rod to resist bending.