BH77 - has anyone considered converting mechanical thumb to hydraulic?

/ BH77 - has anyone considered converting mechanical thumb to hydraulic? #141  
i think i am gonna pull the cartridge and inspect it (thinking bottom o-ring or debris). Tomorrow, i will post pics of the finished product. looks legit. like something Kubota would charge $2k extra for.

stay tuned.

/ BH77 - has anyone considered converting mechanical thumb to hydraulic? #143  
Nice job. I'm jealous
When you are ready to go into production I'm only in VT I'll run my tractor over to you

/ BH77 - has anyone considered converting mechanical thumb to hydraulic? #144  
hey dfk,
pulled the cartridge and inspected. looks like a new solenoid inside. all clean and stuff. o-rings look good. spool has no streaking or anything weird. Did notice the spool doesn't completely clear the holes when energized. don't know if that is normal or not. i may call Hydraforce next week and inquire about the issue. Or I might buy a new unit. (this one came from Ebay). also posted my final pics (movie).

/ BH77 - has anyone considered converting mechanical thumb to hydraulic? #145  
Did notice the spool doesn't completely clear the holes when energized. don't know if that is
normal or not.

That's interesting. Was it the product code on the valve? "SV......"

HydraForce tech support at the HQ has been helpful to me in the past, but the distributors, not so
much. I never found what I needed on eBay so I had to got thru distis.

Watched your video, Brian, and it looks good. DO add protection for the valve, however!

I have always used a switch separate from the joystick, and it works fine.

/ BH77 - has anyone considered converting mechanical thumb to hydraulic? #146  
The joystick location is good too. I tend to push it with the bottom, little finger, side of my hand, so it's more comfortable wearing gloves.

/ BH77 - has anyone considered converting mechanical thumb to hydraulic? #147  
dfk,
Valve is a SV08-2401-6T-N-12DS. (i don't know what the"01" after the "24 is for, supposed to be a screen code, maybe it is a "high leak" code, LOL)
I did an experiment.
1- stored the thumb fully retracted,
2- turned off the switch
3- curled the bucket all the way in until it hit end of stroke, release handle
4- continue to curl - release - curl - release in 2 second on / 3 second off increments
5- the thumb slowly start coming off the stored position roughly 1/8" at tip of thumb each time. it relaxes when you release the lever, but slowly loses position and starts inching down.

the only way that could happen is if the SOV is leaking by (ever so slightly). there are some SV10-24's on Ebay right now. i might buy and swap it out.

Guard is designed. just need to cut, weld, paint and install. I will definitely swat the SOV and break it if i don't provide protection.

Distributors are tough, you have to educate yourself and be your own advocate.

Last edited:
   / BH77 - has anyone considered converting mechanical thumb to hydraulic? #148  
Bumperm.
I am heading in the push button direction. Should have made the bracket and mounted the switch BEFORE I started using it. Now, it is not a priority. Funny how that works.

/ BH77 - has anyone considered converting mechanical thumb to hydraulic? #149  
Hi Bronco,
Thanks,
I don't mind voiding the warranty on my own stuff, but i don't think i want to do someone else's rig.

Also, I cut the ends off a cylinder, machined new bushings, lengthened and re-welded onto the cylinder. If something went awry, i would be sick over it.

/ BH77 - has anyone considered converting mechanical thumb to hydraulic? #150  
Brian,

I know it's rather simple concept, though sometimes my mind seems to want both things and solutions more complex than necessary (grin), but a momentary weatherproof toggle switch, mounted in a bracket as is my button with the bat facing up, would make and ergonomic solution - - probably better than the button in use. Or one could us a SPDT center off momentary and wire it so it'd work pushing the bat in either direction - that would also be nice.