BH77 - has anyone considered converting mechanical thumb to hydraulic?

/ BH77 - has anyone considered converting mechanical thumb to hydraulic? #161  
Come to a stark realization that the distributor prices for brand new valves are running cheaper than
the same product (of unknown origin) on Ebay. I can't buy a new hydraforce cartridge for 27 bucks on
Ebay! shipping was 10 bucks. i had $55 bucks into a valve that didnt work.

Exactly!

Whatever disti you used, they are good to charge only $10. It is more likely to be $10 "freight",
times 2, then 9% sales tax (CA). For an item that fits inside a USPS $5.80 flat rate box.

I have no problem with eBay, BUT I take apart and verify cleanliness, and never buy used
hyd parts. I do buy most of my hyd pumps and motors on eBay, and the rest from
SurpCntr. List prices at the distis for hyd motors can run 100s more than surplus new
units on eBay. But always check first.

/ BH77 - has anyone considered converting mechanical thumb to hydraulic? #162  
I moved the thumb button on my joystick, which was at 12 O'clock, to 9 O'clock so I can push it with my thumb (the one on my hand :c). The button still faces up, and this is sub-optimal. I think I'll be machining another mounting bracket that will have the button facing horizontally, still to be operated with my thumb but with a more natural movement.

Edit: Made a new bracket today from a 2" X 3/4" round black Delrin.

Old bracket:

New bracket;

Looks better in person, shiney black and smooth, for some reason the flash makes it look rough.

I used a 5/8" mill cutter in the lathe to bore an initial hole 1.2" deep, then a boring bar to open it up slightly for a snug slide in fit (no screw or nut needed). Hole for shaft drilled with 15/32" bit as that's the first undersize bit that I have. That size would be very tight but could be a slide fit if heating the Delrin before installing (I just reamed the hole slightly and it was still a tight snug fit. I did drill and tap the opposite end for a 10-24 set screw, though that truly isn't needed - it's that tight). I was going to drill the hole for the shaft at 90 degrees but then thought better of it and drilled at an angle so the switch better faces the thumb or easier reach. It really is quite ergonomic, though I only sat on the tractor and played with it, then wife called me in for dinner (grin).

This is the switch I used.

Amazon.com: Alpinetech 19mm 3/4" Waterproof Momentary Stainless Steel Metal Push Button Switch Screw Terminal Extended Button Normally Open 1NO: Automotive

BTW, the original bracket as shown in first photo, aluminum and fastens with set screw, is available, just pay $3 shipping to continental US and first to claim gets it (you will need to buy the aforementioned switch, or one the same size, as I'm not including the switch). Please only take the bracket if you will indeed be using it as intended.

Edit: Switch bracket is spoken for,

Last edited:
   / BH77 - has anyone considered converting mechanical thumb to hydraulic? #163  
IMG_20150601_180243_288.jpg

how does this look?

6061 aluminum milled. 12 mm hole for stick, 1/4-20 Stainless setscrew opposite switch to lock in place. .510 x .710 rectangular hole for switch. switch is waterproof toggle. Kubota orange paint.

i might have gotten carried away...

You pull the rocker towards you with your index finger.

Last edited:
   / BH77 - has anyone considered converting mechanical thumb to hydraulic? #164  
Brian,

That does look really good. Say, are you trying to outdo me? :c). Where did you source the switch?

I used the backhoe for a several hours today, pulling a crack willow kind of brush from drainage ditch. Thumb in use much of the time. I like my switch location a lot, very natural, positive, and easy to use having one's thumb operate the thumb.

/ BH77 - has anyone considered converting mechanical thumb to hydraulic? #165  
here's the switch...https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0039KUU6C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

I came home from work last Friday and the switch was in the mailbox. That's bad. I proceeded to re-prioritize and work on the switch instead of what i was supposed to be doing. found a chunk of aluminum round stock that was BARELY large enough. This was literally the piece left over in the Lathe chuck after you part off your work. Challenged myself to make a rectangular flat bottomed hole in the end of a piece of round stock to hold the switch.

The real reason I did this is all the 3rd function valve guys make suck *** switch handles. When I build one, i want to keep the existing boom/bucket control and just slip on a really good grapple/snow plow control station.

This is a prototype of sorts. The grapple button will have two rockers sided by side electrically interlocked so you can't activate both at once.

/ BH77 - has anyone considered converting mechanical thumb to hydraulic? #166  
Brian,

Not sure I'm following you, are you talking about making switches for front loader 3rd function and that mfg's ones suck? If so, I gently disagree, I ordered 3rd function with my tractor and the stock switches work fine. The lower button is latching, an illuminated on/off button that enables/disables the upper two 3rd function buttons. So far, I only use 3rd function to control the deflector on my front blower, but may install a grapple someday.

/ BH77 - has anyone considered converting mechanical thumb to hydraulic? #167  
i'm looking for side by side buttons, like a mouse. index finger (left button) is left or close, middle finger (right button) is right or open.
i do like the enable disable feature in your picture. though.

/ BH77 - has anyone considered converting mechanical thumb to hydraulic? #168  
Bumperm,
i understand your take on this. it looks like you have the OEM third function, correct?

/ BH77 - has anyone considered converting mechanical thumb to hydraulic? #169  
Bumperm,
i understand your take on this. it looks like you have the OEM third function, correct?

Yes. When I was ordering the tractor, I included a front mount blower (a major purchase). A requirement of mine was remote chute rotation and deflector. The difference in price between their electric/hydraulic diverter package and ordering 3rd function and me sourcing parts and doing the chute deflector automation was not a lot. Plus, I figured 3rd function might come in handy for grapples etc - - so far I've only used it for the snow blower but you never know. I ordered rear remotes, top and tilt I wouldn't be without, especially for box scraper and 3 point auger etc.

bumper

/ BH77 - has anyone considered converting mechanical thumb to hydraulic? #170  
i was toying with the idea of top an tilt. (actually more than toying, i am ordering the valve). i am going to lose it to the right of the seat somehow. looking for a picture of the OEM version as a starting point.
it's funny how your needs change from the day you buy your first tractor to today.

when i bought my L3300, i was sure i knew my requirements. now look at me. this years mods are thumb, hydro- thumb, top/tilt, 3rd function.