Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    kabota l3400

Default Knocking noise from rearend while in high range of transmission on 2005 kubota l3400

My kubota l3400 has a knocking noise from the rear while in high range of the transmission, it started within the first six months of use and when it started it was very low, now it is quite loud and increases with speed. It sounds as if a bolt is hitting something inside the rearend with every revolution.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830, Ford Golden Jubilee, AC B, '39 Sears Economy, Polaris Ranger 400

Quote Originally Posted by okibarn
    My kubota l3400 has a knocking noise from the rear while in high range of the transmission, it started within the first six months of use and when it started it was very low, now it is quite loud and increases with speed. It sounds as if a bolt is hitting something inside the rearend with every revolution.
    Under warranty? Take to dealer.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4240, B7800 & BX2660

Default Re: Knocking noise from rearend while in high range of transmission on 2005 kubota l3

Check your lug bolts 1st.

Tractor
    Kubota L3200

Default Re: Knocking noise from rearend while in high range of transmission on 2005 kubota l3

Quote Originally Posted by Leejohn View Post
    Check your lug bolts 1st.
    My thoughts exactly.

Tractor
    John Deere 955

I get a knocking noise from my rear end from time to time too! I think it's from the taco truck though.

Tractor
    Kubota L3400 DT

I'm searching the web about a similar, knocking/snapping/ticking, problem if not the same, on my (07) L3400 DT. I now have 600 hrs. on it, but I notice the noise most in low range while the diff. is lock in, the snapping noise seams to be coming from the left rear side, and so far it doesn't do it all the time, yet. I probably wont find the problem or exactly where the snapping noise is coming from until it goes BANG, and the rear wheels wont turn.

Veteran Member
    Kansas, Butler county, Just east of DooDah
    Tractor
    Kubota L4200 GSTCA

Quote Originally Posted by Oldpath05 View Post
    I'm searching the web about a similar, knocking/snapping/ticking, problem if not the same, on my (07) L3400 DT. I now have 600 hrs. on it, but I notice the noise most in low range while the diff. is lock in, the snapping noise seams to be coming from the left rear side, and so far it doesn't do it all the time, yet. I probably wont find the problem or exactly where the snapping noise is coming from until it goes BANG, and the rear wheels wont turn.
    Check ALL the bolts that mount the Wheel ... the left side generally will loosen and give you that sound when Any of the wheel bolts lug nuts are loose... KennyV

Tractor
    Kubota L3400 DT

The wheel nuts/bolts seam to be tight, it does sound like that kind of noise though. If it would make the noise all the time, it might be easier to locate. I have notice that the diff. lock petal squashes down about 1/4" more at times, but if the snapping noise is coming from inside the transmission, then it should do it all the time, also, I don't even know it a transmission will make that kind of sound. I do know it's a sound that no one want's to here if they cant afford another tractor.

Tractor
    Kubota L3700SU

Lug nuts/bolts need to be torqued to factory specification, not seem to be tight. That said, the potential for a catastrophic failure would seem to indicate that you go to the expense of having a dealer or an experienced mechanic take a look. Even if it's out of warranty, which I assume, the cost of diagnostics now would be far less than the cost of a serious failure of your running gear. Listening to something like that and worrying and wondering won't do. It is also the type of symptom that is near impossible for anyone not up close and personal to your machine to diagnose. I agree that lug nuts were a good place to start.

Also...I don't know if I've ever had my tractor in high range. Then again I don't do road transport of my machine. At the very least, if your knocking is only in high range, stay out of high range?

Also...For less than $40 you could have samples of both your engine oil and transmission fluid tested by a lab, I use Blackstone, for substances that shouldn't be present in a healthy machine. If you have metals above expected limits, what metal and where it is present would give you somewhere to start.

Tractor
    L5450, L48, L3250, L345

Quote Originally Posted by Recoveryhill View Post
    ..... the potential for a catastrophic failure would indicate that you ......have an experienced mechanic take a look.....the cost..would be far less than the cost of a serious failure...........worrying and wondering won't do........... near impossible for anyone not up close to diagnose...............
    True words all.
    L5450, L48, L3250, L345, never enough attachments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast