Kubota Electric lift pump failure? Ever happen? No start issue. Gelling?

/ Kubota Electric lift pump failure? Ever happen? No start issue. Gelling? #1  

Scooby074

Tractor
BX 25, ZD 326
Anybody have a Kubota electric lift pump on a BX fail? Mine gave its usual click...click...click... then stopped completely.

Now my BX wont start. well it will start, run rough and then die. No fuel additives were added by me to the fuel in the tank prior to today(yeah....dumb i know )

Were in the middle of a cold spell (-2 to -7*C). Makes me think I could have a fuel gelling issue because the tractor was last filled about 1 mth ago. It should have been winter fuel but i wonder. This is the time of year when gel issues raise their ugly head. Ive added a dose of Diesel911 just in case. So far, no improvement.

The fact the lift pump isnt clicking like it usually does makes me think its failed (or has had its wires damaged as discussed in a few threads). I'd have to be severely gelled in order for it to be completely jammed you'd think? I havent had a chance to crawl under and pull a fuel line and see if there is any fuel flow yet. It should be pretty obvious where the problem is once I have some time to look the tractor over.

So has anyone heard of an actual lift pump failure? Or better to focus on plugged (gelled up) fuel filters/lines. Im pretty sure Im gelled and I think I'm going to change the filters anyways, but the lack of pump clicking has me thinking it could be an electrical issue. I think Im around 150-160 hrs or so.

Last edited:
   / Kubota Electric lift pump failure? Ever happen? No start issue. Gelling? #2  
Scooby074 said:
Anybody have a Kubota electric lift pump on a BX fail? Mine gave its usual click...click...click... then stopped completely.

Now my BX wont start. well it will start, run rough and then die. No fuel additives were added by me to the fuel in the tank prior to today(yeah....dumb i know )

Were in the middle of a cold spell (-2 to -7*C). Makes me think I could have a fuel gelling issue because the tractor was last filled about 1 mth ago. It should have been winter fuel but i wonder. This is the time of year when gel issues raise their ugly head. Ive added a dose of Diesel911 just in case. So far, no improvement.

/QUOTE]

The one time my BX2200 gelled up (similar temps to what you have now) it took a couple of days for me to get it running again. The 911 didn't work on its own I had to use a space heater to warm up the tractor. And a battery charger because of course I ran it down with all the cranking. I don't recall whether the pump clicked or not, it was several years ago. I think it's most likely just gelled up. Now I use additives all year round and added a block heater. Thankfully no repeats!

/ Kubota Electric lift pump failure? Ever happen? No start issue. Gelling?
Update:

Between the warm temps and the 911, the lift pump is ticking and the tractor is running again. It was badly gelled fuel like I suspected. All fuel is treated with PS white now so this wont happen again.

/ Kubota Electric lift pump failure? Ever happen? No start issue. Gelling? #4  
Hello scooby 074,

I still for the life of me cannot figure why they insist on
installing an electric lift pump on these things when the
injection pump has enough pressure gradient/suction
to pull fuel from the tank.

It must be because they are not using a reinforced
woven fuel hose. This is the only legitimate reason I can
come up with as we had many Kubotas at the mine where
I worked and they never had issues pulling fuel.

The other thing I cannot understand is why they do not have compression releas on
these smaller tractors either as it would save everyone a lot greif when starting them.

Yeah, its a little bit of an odd design. Not like a BX is so huge the fuel has to travel far. Kubota must have their reasons though? I'm not sure its related to the fuel lines however. You'd suspect upgrading the lines (if required) would be cheaper than the electric lift pump.

/ Kubota Electric lift pump failure? Ever happen? No start issue. Gelling? #6  
I agree with you entirely jason.

The only reason that I can sincerely say that they have done this is simply that the
tank is a poor design and that it is below the seat.

This is the same tank that is used on my fathers Wheel Horse 525 gas tractor.

The other thing is the tank cannot have a suction point at the bottom of the tank like the older kubotas that were
imported into the USA before they started assembling the components they bring into the country which are the
engine and transmission. They still use these things in very small rice paddies in Japan and they have to work!!!!

The two filter design is rediculous as they could simply use a 2 micron Racor fuel filter and be done with it and they would have zero problems.

They would sell more of these machines if they installed catalytic converter mufflers on these things and they would not have to detune the engines to make the EPA Happy.

/ Kubota Electric lift pump failure? Ever happen? No start issue. Gelling? #7  
Hello scooby 074,

I still for the life of me cannot figure why they insist on
installing an electric lift pump on these things when the
injection pump has enough pressure gradient/suction
to pull fuel from the tank.

The other thing I cannot understand is why they do not have compression releas on
these smaller tractors either as it would save everyone a lot greif when starting them.

Kubota isn't the only engine manufacturer that utilizes a fuel lift pump. All the diesel engines that I've been around that didn't have fuel tank(gravity feed) above engine required a lift pump. I installed an electric fuel pump on my M4900 that I owned for ease of bleeding fuel system as the hand pump hidden behind loader mast was very difficult for me to pump.. As far as your compression release question diesel fuel ignites from "high compression". Lower compression contributes to "hard or NO starting engine"

/ Kubota Electric lift pump failure? Ever happen? No start issue. Gelling? #8  
next time, try to get the tractor warmed up if you need it when it gells up. with 911 working, and a heater going- it should degell allowing you to get it started. However, I am glad to hear it was a simple thing- gelling and you treated the fuel now with warm temps.

next time, try to get the tractor warmed up if you need it when it gells up. with 911 working, and a heater going- it should degell allowing you to get it started. However, I am glad to hear it was a simple thing- gelling and you treated the fuel now with warm temps.

Yeah, warmth is the answer. Problem is, the tractor was 15km from the barn.. I suppose I could have tented it, and lit a fire or kerosene heater.. but it wasnt urgent and I knew the temps were going to warm to get me out of my jam, so I just had to wait.

/ Kubota Electric lift pump failure? Ever happen? No start issue. Gelling? #10  
gotcha! :thumbsup: