GL 5240 radio install not removing the cab roof

/ GL 5240 radio install not removing the cab roof #1  

ih364

I searched a lot of post on the radio install and found that the top of the cab was taken off the cab to install. My dealer says this is not necsseary.
Has anyone installed the radio without taking the top off? I found a wiring harness for the install.

/ GL 5240 radio install not removing the cab roof #2  
I searched a lot of post on the radio install and found that the top of the cab was taken off the cab to install. My dealer says this is not necsseary.
Has anyone installed the radio without taking the top off? I found a wiring harness for the install.

Dealer is wrong. I've done it many times and always had to remove the roof. That being said it takes ten minutes or less to pull the top down. Here's a link to one of my threads.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/customization/195848-time-upgrade.html

/ GL 5240 radio install not removing the cab roof #3  
4shorts - I think it can be done. Of course it is a lot faster to remove the roof. I think I tried taking a speaker off to check the wire colors (I found conflicting info on the web), dropped fasteners so I had to take the roof off. I remembered one of your posts, went in the house and looked at it, wacked myself on the head for not doing that in the first place. I just never thought the roof would be so light, would open up to service everything on top, and center itself back for easy re-installation so easy. I had thought you had to do that to install your symphonic sound system, not that it also are the job a snap.

/ GL 5240 radio install not removing the cab roof #4  
I put the dealer installed radio in mine without pulling the roof.

/ GL 5240 radio install not removing the cab roof #5  
Ok BUT how do you align the faceplate on the radio when the two bolts that need to be adjusted are on the support strut on the very top of the cab that are only accessible by having the top off? Doing it the right way requires pulling the roof. Ten minutes or less to pull.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 1,162
   / GL 5240 radio install not removing the cab roof #6  
Mine went in fine. I don't remember the instructions saying anything about pulling the top.

/ GL 5240 radio install not removing the cab roof #7  
If you do pull the roof, replace the speakers while you are there. the factory cab speakers are very cheap, they blow early in the game! I replaced mine with a $40.00 set of kickers! Money well spent!

/ GL 5240 radio install not removing the cab roof #8  
My radio install was just plug and play. All I did was pull the rubber plug out of the opening, plugged the radio into the harness, pushed it into the opening, fit the cut rubber gasket around the faceplate and turned it on. Took me about 30 minutes total.